January Window

401 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January Window

by URZZZZ » 11 Jan 2022 11:28

Hound Think people's short term memory on Ejaria clouds judgement. He has been pretty toss this season granted, but was excellent for 2 years before that. The best objective source - whoscored - rates him as one of the top 20 players in the entire division in those years.

Certainly not a failure. In fact by that marker a huge success.

I’m sure there’s someone else who may disagree :lol:

Tbf I don’t particularly agree with you here either. Thought he was OK in Gomes’ first season but definitely 5 out of 5 in terms of pecking order of the loanees. Had fits and bursts the next two seasons but also too many periods of contributing very little. Don’t think he registered a single assist in the second half of last season? Together, with only scoring one goal, I wouldn’t equate that to excellent given that’s 50% of the season

But then the way he plays isn’t something I like in a player which obviously clouds my judgement. Probably try and find the weaknesses in his game too much (slowing it down :wink:) whereas WhoScored will obviously look at it more objectively. Always seems to work fairly hard though, will grant him that. And he’s still young - but at this point I’m not sure it’ll happen here for him

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Jan 2022 13:41

interested in Jordan Jones according to some rag

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2022 13:51

Brogue interested in Jordan Jones according to some rag

Given he’d cost a fee this is probably unlikely. Media also link him to Derby, Barnsley, Blackpool and Luton.

Anyway for the “who’s he?” brigade the answer is he’s a 27 year old NI international winger who joined Wigan on a 3 year deal in the summer but has struggled to get games with only 9 apps to date.

He previously was on the books of Middlesbrough and then did decently at Kilmarnock before 10 apps in 2 years at Rangers and a loan at Sunderland last year.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 14:29

Brogue interested in Jordan Jones according to some rag

I can't and wouldn't want that to happen personally.

Obviously won't happen due to transfer fees, but the two wingers I'd want from League One would be Ronan Curtis (previously heavily linked with) from Pompey and Scott Twine (who I felt we should have gone for in the summer) from MK Dons.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2022 22:44

URZZZZ
Hound Think people's short term memory on Ejaria clouds judgement. He has been pretty toss this season granted, but was excellent for 2 years before that. The best objective source - whoscored - rates him as one of the top 20 players in the entire division in those years.

Certainly not a failure. In fact by that marker a huge success.

I’m sure there’s someone else who may disagree :lol:

Tbf I don’t particularly agree with you here either. Thought he was OK in Gomes’ first season but definitely 5 out of 5 in terms of pecking order of the loanees. Had fits and bursts the next two seasons but also too many periods of contributing very little. Don’t think he registered a single assist in the second half of last season? Together, with only scoring one goal, I wouldn’t equate that to excellent given that’s 50% of the season

But then the way he plays isn’t something I like in a player which obviously clouds my judgement. Probably try and find the weaknesses in his game too much (slowing it down :wink:) whereas WhoScored will obviously look at it more objectively. Always seems to work fairly hard though, will grant him that. And he’s still young - but at this point I’m not sure it’ll happen here for him

Really don't think you can place any reliability on those aggregate scoring measures.

Each individual stat yes, but the weighting and applying as a score. No chance. Football just has far too much too it that can't be tracked like that and the calculations just don't do the game justice.

End of the day, what you want from your attacking flair players is

Goals
Assists

He simply doesn't produce enough of either to be considered a real success. Massive skill. Huge promise. Insufficient end product. Style of play makes it hard for the team to react to him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 11:47

I have just read that Jermaine Defoe is on the cusp of leaving Rangers this window.

39 years old, player/coach (as was his role at Rangers) under a new manager, seems like it might be worthwhile for 6 months surely? Especially if Carroll was to leave.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Jan 2022 12:12

Centre backs are an absolute priority. We should be bringing in bodies for the weekend as a matter of urgency.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 12:24

I can understand the logic but, depending on the severity of the injuries, we wouldn't want to sign another 1/2 players when we have 5 there already and then from say Feb onwards we end up with 7 first team CB's.

I see it as a good opportunity for a promising youngster like Nelson Abbey to step up under a new manager and look to impress. It would go hand-in-hand almost with a new manager and the effects they usually have on a team.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Jan 2022 12:43

YorkshireRoyal99 I can understand the logic but, depending on the severity of the injuries, we wouldn't want to sign another 1/2 players when we have 5 there already and then from say Feb onwards we end up with 7 first team CB's.

I see it as a good opportunity for a promising youngster like Nelson Abbey to step up under a new manager and look to impress. It would go hand-in-hand almost with a new manager and the effects they usually have on a team.

I am trying not to berate everything you post but when you think throwing in an 18 year-old with no senior experience into an already decimated back four that has just conceded 7 and been eliminated from the FA Cup by a National League North side, you are dreaming.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 13:35

John Smith
YorkshireRoyal99 I can understand the logic but, depending on the severity of the injuries, we wouldn't want to sign another 1/2 players when we have 5 there already and then from say Feb onwards we end up with 7 first team CB's.

I am trying not to berate everything you post but when you think throwing in an 18 year-old with no senior experience into an already decimated back four that has just conceded 7 and been eliminated from the FA Cup by a National League North side, you are dreaming.

You could argue it's possibly the best time to throw them in as there really is nothing to lose and it can't get any worse, especially if it was under a new manager.

Besides, I'd rather than and lose a couple more games than use our restricted transfer window to flood a position we are already well stocked in but are suffering from injury issues that aren't long term.

I wouldn't be able to wait to read your likely ridiculous response in March time when we've done as you suggest and sign CB's now, only to have 6/7 fit senior CB's come March with still very few attacking options. How about be more patient perhaps? Might serve you some good.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Jan 2022 13:51

YorkshireRoyal99 How about be more patient perhaps?

It's January and we are plummeting towards relegation

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jan 2022 13:54

John Smith Centre backs are an absolute priority. We should be bringing in bodies for the weekend as a matter of urgency.

Yep.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jan 2022 14:01

YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith

You could argue it's possibly the best time to throw them in as there really is nothing to lose and it can't get any worse, especially if it was under a new manager.

Besides, I'd rather than and lose a couple more games than use our restricted transfer window to flood a position we are already well stocked in but are suffering from injury issues that aren't long term.

I wouldn't be able to wait to read your likely ridiculous response in March time when we've done as you suggest and sign CB's now, only to have 6/7 fit senior CB's come March with still very few attacking options. How about be more patient perhaps? Might serve you some good.

Like when we threw them in on Saturday and lost against a team 79 places below us?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 14:04

John Smith

But that also doesn't mean we go haywire because we are short in a certain area for a certain period of time.

If the likes of Moore, Dann, Morrison etc are out until late Feb/March time, then yes I'd agree. However, if Moore/Dann will only be missing for a game or two, not to mention McIntyre is returning at some stage this month we believe, I wouldn't go and panic buy a CB when it's very limited as to what we can do anyway.

Ordinarily I would agree, but taking the situation into account (Pauno is moaning we can't even get the LB on trial signed on due to our current restrictions for example), it might be best to see what signings can help us longer term, rather than just the immediate game here. There is half a season to go.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 14:04

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith I am trying not to berate everything you post but when you think throwing in an 18 year-old with no senior experience into an already decimated back four that has just conceded 7 and been eliminated from the FA Cup by a National League North side, you are dreaming.

Like when we threw them in on Saturday and lost against a team 79 places below us?

Obviously missed the "under a new manager" part of it as well.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jan 2022 14:09

YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith

But that also doesn't mean we go haywire because we are short in a certain area for a certain period of time.

If the likes of Moore, Dann, Morrison etc are out until late Feb/March time, then yes I'd agree. However, if Moore/Dann will only be missing for a game or two, not to mention McIntyre is returning at some stage this month we believe, I wouldn't go and panic buy a CB when it's very limited as to what we can do anyway.

Ordinarily I would agree, but taking the situation into account (Pauno is moaning we can't even get the LB on trial signed on due to our current restrictions for example), it might be best to see what signings can help us longer term, rather than just the immediate game here. There is half a season to go.

We don’t need to go haywire. Look to do a one month loan on a centre back until reinforcements are in place.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 14:13

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith It's January and we are plummeting towards relegation

We don’t need to go haywire. Look to do a one month loan on a centre back until reinforcements are in place.

Possibly however I cannot imagine that would be that easy to work unless they were a free agent.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2022 15:32

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith It's January and we are plummeting towards relegation

Are they even a thing anymore, outside GK loans?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2022 15:36

Rafael reportedly in talks around a return to Brazil with Cruzeiro.

Apparently, they are interested because he can terminate his deal so will not cost them a fee.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 15:50

Stranded Rafael reportedly in talks around a return to Brazil with Cruzeiro.

Apparently, they are interested because he can terminate his deal so will not cost them a fee.

Not so bothered if we can't get a fee because his contract is up in 6 months anyway so we won't be losing anything other than a few thousand pounds in a transfer fee when we can just get rid now and save on his wages for the next 6 months which probably still leaves us at a net positive.

401 posts