January Window

401 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: January Window

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 09:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 I mean, we've not played that many defenders due to tactics, rotation or loss of form, it's primarily been injuries or other absences.

Sorry, misunderstanding. Not saying that number is due to the tactics or management choices. I'm saying if that number all struggle, perhaps the problem isn't the defenders. So getting yet more defenders won't help.

I can understand that but I suppose you've also got to look at how many times we've been able to field a strong back 4 this season and how consistently as well. I can't think of many times this season where we've had the same back 4 playing for 2+ games at a time.

I do agree that we play in a way that doesn't suit our defenders but possibly bringing in other options who may be more suited to our style might help us in that aspect as well.

In which case the point we've got / getting everyone back isn’t the time to sign someone new.

Unless its to address a specific weakness like pace and push our defensive line up the pitch. That I'm good with.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 09:59

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Sorry, misunderstanding. Not saying that number is due to the tactics or management choices. I'm saying if that number all struggle, perhaps the problem isn't the defenders. So getting yet more defenders won't help.

I can understand that but I suppose you've also got to look at how many times we've been able to field a strong back 4 this season and how consistently as well. I can't think of many times this season where we've had the same back 4 playing for 2+ games at a time.

I do agree that we play in a way that doesn't suit our defenders but possibly bringing in other options who may be more suited to our style might help us in that aspect as well.

In which case the point we've got / getting everyone back isn’t the time to sign someone new.

Unless its to address a specific weakness like pace and push our defensive line up the pitch. That I'm good with.

It might just be that some of our current defenders don't suit how we play, which is why we'd look to bring somebody in who does. I can understand the point, getting players back to fitness and available again but I'd be much more comfortable with good squad depth and a signing that better fits into our team. Dann alongside another defender who can cover his weaknesses (and vice versa) would be ideal. I'm not sure Holmes, McIntyre or Morrison really offer that, but obviously have their own quality within themselves.

Like I think everyone else, I'd want Holmes and McIntyre to be the centre of our defence for the next 10 years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jan 2022 10:09

I'd like Holmes to be good enough to do that, I have my doubts. McIntyre just needs to stay fit which seems beyond him

I think we have to make do with what we have at the back. Dann and McIntyre would be the best balance I think but obvs both unfit atm

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 10:18

Hound I'd like Holmes to be good enough to do that, I have my doubts. McIntyre just needs to stay fit which seems beyond him

I think we have to make do with what we have at the back. Dann and McIntyre would be the best balance I think but obvs both unfit atm

It seems ironic but, Holmes and McIntyre have actually played their best football at CB when playing alongside Moore, who has been criticised recently for being bang average for a good couple of seasons now.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 27 Jan 2022 10:22

It doesn't wash with me that VP now finally decides that the defensive players doesn't suit his style. He has known since day one how limited we are to get players in. Change your bloody style you stubborn knobber!
It must be VP saying - we got rid of Rafa - I need a back up keeper. Moore is out of the question, I need a replacement which is near to his ability.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 27 Jan 2022 10:23

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound I'd like Holmes to be good enough to do that, I have my doubts. McIntyre just needs to stay fit which seems beyond him

It seems ironic but, Holmes and McIntyre have actually played their best football at CB when playing alongside Moore, who has been criticised recently for being bang average for a good couple of seasons now.

Ah!! but to look good, you play along side a shit player :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Jan 2022 10:47

With never having all of our central defenders available, and presumably Moore no longer going to play, I don't think it is a bad idea to get another central defender in.

For some reason it hasn't worked for Rhys Williams at Swansea but he has had some experience in pressurised situations at the highest level-he is not like one of our U23s who would have to fill in if our regularly crocked defenders keep up their bad injury records.

We have enough midfielders so the only other addition that could benefit us is another physical striker in case Joao breaks down again.
There are still 19 games to go so, other than hoping to pick up somebody from the scraps of out of contract players, we have till Monday night to do some business.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 10:50

I don't think Rhys Williams is the answer personally, although that probably means the club are going to go for him. I'd much rather an out on contract defender for 6 months minimum or another loan from the PL that isn't Rhys Williams.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 27 Jan 2022 10:54

I have always expressed doubts that Holmes has the ability to play at this level , unfortunately he has not changed my mind . Paunovic I have changed my opinion , I initially thought he was good .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 10:55

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

It might just be that some of our current defenders don't suit how we play, which is why we'd look to bring somebody in who does. I can understand the point, getting players back to fitness and available again but I'd be much more comfortable with good squad depth and a signing that better fits into our team. Dann alongside another defender who can cover his weaknesses (and vice versa) would be ideal. I'm not sure Holmes, McIntyre or Morrison really offer that, but obviously have their own quality within themselves.

Like I think everyone else, I'd want Holmes and McIntyre to be the centre of our defence for the next 10 years.

We've got 5 centrebacks, two of whom can cover fullback.

If they don't suit the way we want to defend, we shouldn't be trying to defend that way.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 11:02

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal In which case the point we've got / getting everyone back isn’t the time to sign someone new.

If they don't suit the way we want to defend, we shouldn't be trying to defend that way.

It depends if you're trying to build something though doesn't it and what you're trying to build.

This is only Pauno's 3rd (technically 5th) managerial position. I've combined all of his Serbia's youth positions as one just for the sake of this particular argument but, he spent 3 years in Serbia's youth set ups, from U18's through to U20's, as well as just shy of 4 years at Chicago Fire and he's now into his 2nd season with ourselves, he's obviously not got a reputation for being a short-term answer.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Jan 2022 11:05

YorkshireRoyal99 I don't think Rhys Williams is the answer personally, although that probably means the club are going to go for him. I'd much rather an out on contract defender for 6 months minimum or another loan from the PL that isn't Rhys Williams.

Beggars can't be choosers?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 11:24

South Coast Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I don't think Rhys Williams is the answer personally, although that probably means the club are going to go for him. I'd much rather an out on contract defender for 6 months minimum or another loan from the PL that isn't Rhys Williams.

That's exactly why I'm thinking it's possible and given he might be the only viable option we can afford right now as well depending on wages.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Jan 2022 11:31

South Coast Royal

He's dreadful. We'd be better off recalling Dorsett.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 11:35

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

It depends if you're trying to build something though doesn't it and what you're trying to build.

This is only Pauno's 3rd (technically 5th) managerial position. I've combined all of his Serbia's youth positions as one just for the sake of this particular argument but, he spent 3 years in Serbia's youth set ups, from U18's through to U20's, as well as just shy of 4 years at Chicago Fire and he's now into his 2nd season with ourselves, he's obviously not got a reputation for being a short-term answer.

Well he needs to adapt to what he's got. If he wanted to build to playing a different way he should have signed someone who suited it in the summer, not Dann who evidently doesn’t.

You can't try to make something that isn't working work by bringing in a panic signing in January during a relegation battle.

You need to play with what you've got and phase in a new style as you replace players not suited to it with ones who are.

Not just pile up more and more players.

He's certainly not much of a medium or longer term answer. Having had one good season with fire and one with us.

And like he's getting a new contract here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jan 2022 11:40

Yiadom's always been surprisingly good as a CB. Maybe its the extra pace

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 11:42

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal We've got 5 centrebacks, two of whom can cover fullback.

Well he needs to adapt to what he's got. If he wanted to build to playing a different way he should have signed someone who suited it in the summer, not Dann who evidently doesn’t.

You can't try to make something that isn't working work by bringing in a panic signing in January during a relegation battle.

You need to play with what you've got and phase in a new style as you replace players not suited to it with ones who are.

Not just pile up more and more players.

He's certainly not much of a medium or longer term answer. Having had one good season with fire and one with us.

And like he's getting a new contract here.

Dann does, he's good with the ball, his range of passing is there, he's a CB built to build from the back.

You also have to understand the restrictions that were in place on the club. It's all well and good saying "go and sign somebody more suited", who? There are obviously plenty of defenders out there, but who can he realistically sign? They had to be either loans/free transfers as well as looking at other areas of the squad that needed players, such as midfield and out wide. He's not at a club that are free to do whatever we want in the window and that's not Pauno's fault.

I understand that you have to work with what you have got, which he is doing and, despite our current form, he is keeping our heads above water which is all we can really expect given how this season has panned out. You can also try and mould players into your system as well, which is likely what he is trying to do, there will always be mistakes with that, either tactically or individually, but it might be for the better long-term, we just do not know these things.

Who is to say that any players that are coming in this month are panic signings?

Nobody can say for certain that he is/isn't getting a new contract here. Are we all just working off a media report saying he won't be getting sacked (unless the situation was unprecedented) but will "almost certainly" be leaving at the end of the season? How can that be believed? That's not to say that it won't happen, but how can anybody be sure that will be the case?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2022 11:58

Dann's been no better than anyone else. If fact, I think he's our 4th best CB.

The way Pauno wants us to defend doesn’t work with or without Dann.

You have to work with what you have.

Keeping our heads above water :lol:

He's doing nothing of the sort. He's lost 4 games in a row ffs. Our heads are above water because no one else has pushed them under yet.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 12:23

Alright that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but I's personally say he's been on our best defenders this season when he's played and been fit.

He is working with what he has and we are staying up, which I'm sure is the remit the board and players thought was realistic after the points deduction.

If you're going to put it down to other clubs being poor then I can just as easily put it down to us being better than them. We've lost 4 league games in a row, yes it's poor and it's been an abysmal month, it's not the end of the world and it's not something that hasn't happened before either. We survived then, so I don't see why we can't survive now.

The way you go on about this club and Pauno we may as well just stop playing.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Jan 2022 12:31

YorkshireRoyal99 Alright that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but I's personally say he's been on our best defenders this season when he's played and been fit.

With you on this. Think we really missed Dann v Huddersfield.

401 posts