Defensive Cover

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Defensive Cover

by Stranded » 03 Mar 2022 16:01

morganb Ince on bringing in free agents:

It’s tough. It’s tough for everyone because of the embargo and where we are. You’re looking at players on a free and the players you’re looking at on a free haven’t played for eight/nine months so it can take two months to get them to where you want them to be and the season is already over. It might be a case of this is what we’ve got, this is good enough if we do things right in the right way, and that’s it. If something jumps out at us then great but there’s nothing jumping out.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... -millwall/

No mention of Terrell Thomas or Pantilimon

I'd be surprised if any manager would explicitly mention any free agents they may be looking at.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Mar 2022 16:46

quite a good interview really, do like that he is pretty honest, at the moment at least

Pretty critical of things that we've seen in terms of defensive shape and getting caught up field. Quite looking forward to seeing how it translates on Saturday

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Mar 2022 17:05

I think he's probably got it right to be fair. Maybe Pantilimon being a goalkeeper may need far less time than an outfield player but it would still take something and by that pint we've only got 10 games remaining so would he be the significant difference between us staying up or not? Probably not to be honest.

It probably now is just a case of we work with what we've got. It's not like it isn't good enough to stay up when everyone is fit.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Mar 2022 17:06

Has anyone actually seen Pantilimon's name mentioned outside of Barney's posts on here? Not seen 'owt on Twitter or anything.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Mar 2022 18:48

Nope. I think he's shit anyway.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2022 08:55

YorkshireRoyal99 I think he's probably got it right to be fair. Maybe Pantilimon being a goalkeeper may need far less time than an outfield player but it would still take something and by that pint we've only got 10 games remaining so would he be the significant difference between us staying up or not? Probably not to be honest.

It probably now is just a case of we work with what we've got. It's not like it isn't good enough to stay up when everyone is fit.

Agreed - don't see the benefit of bringing in any free agent now - would be after the international break before they could really make a difference - though guess Thomas was still training with Crewe until he left in Jan, so he may be one we take a chance on.

However, with Holmes apparently in contention for tomorrow and Dann likely to be on the bench, options look a bit deeper at the back as McIntyre can shift rleft with Holmes back in the middle - or we could even go to a back 3.

Seen no mention of Pantilimon bar a post on here - he was only ever Ok and at 35 and not had a club since last summer, I think that is just a case of someone seeing a name they recognised on a list of free agent keepers.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Mar 2022 09:08

A back 3 could be likely, I just wouldn't be sure who would go into the left wing back position in Rahman's absence. I suppose it could be a winger like Hoilett or maybe even Barker, but by that point we may as well just stick with a back 4 I'd say.

Pantilimon, if that was ever a "thing", I wouldn't have even minded personally. Experienced and his height theoretically solves an obvious problem we've suffered all season from, crosses. Again, I don't really think he would make that much difference in the grand scheme of things with maybe a dozen or so games left now.

Again, same with a cover CB really. Unless we were to get a near-ready CB who would come in and play games, I don't really see the benefit. The injury situation is by no means as bad as between October-January, especially now Holmes and Dann are coming back into contention and hopefully at ,east 1 of them can stay fit for the remaining dozen games of the season and then Rahman can come back in for the last half a dozen potentially.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Mar 2022 13:15

Terrell Thomas in the U23s again plus...

20-year-old Polish goalkeeper Kacper Kowalczyk is in the Reading U23 squad.

Most recently played for Stal Rzeszów, and has previously been at Chelsea, QPR and Yeovil. #readingfc https://t.co/uHRAXBueR0

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Mar 2022 16:49

https://mobile.twitter.com/ronniemac93/ ... 1274798082

Right Back Danny Simpson (35) has left Bristol City - assume he has been training so could be almost match fit and an option to allow Yiadom to be shifted across if necessary?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Mar 2022 16:55

morganb https://mobile.twitter.com/ronniemac93/status/1500839281274798082

Right Back Danny Simpson (35) has left Bristol City - assume he has been training so could be almost match fit and an option to allow Yiadom to be shifted across if necessary?

Doesn’t it depend on whether his departure was before the transfer deadline ?
If in contract at the end of the window my understanding is that he wouldn’t be able to sign for anyone until the summer

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Mar 2022 17:00

Franchise FC

If in contract at the end of the window my understanding is that he wouldn’t be able to sign for anyone until the summer

That is correct, Franchise. I think he could sign for a non.league team, if he wants to keep himself fit until next season. But, at his age will probably retire, though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Mar 2022 08:54

The Royal Forester
Franchise FC

That is correct, Franchise. I think he could sign for a non.league team, if he wants to keep himself fit until next season. But, at his age will probably retire, though.

MLS transfer window remains open, so he would be able to go to the US if he has an offer.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Mar 2022 18:19

Apparently, Birmingham want to sign Terrell Thomas in the summer when he becomes a free agent. The article mentions that he is in our under 23 squad but it doesn’t sound like we’d be able to sign him on any sort of contract until the summer. I thought that he was already a free agent?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Mar 2022 19:51

blythspartan Apparently, Birmingham want to sign Terrell Thomas in the summer when he becomes a free agent. The article mentions that he is in our under 23 squad but it doesn’t sound like we’d be able to sign him on any sort of contract until the summer. I thought that he was already a free agent?

We have restrictions on our transfer activity......

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 23 Mar 2022 22:17

Nameless
blythspartan Apparently, Birmingham want to sign Terrell Thomas in the summer when he becomes a free agent. The article mentions that he is in our under 23 squad but it doesn’t sound like we’d be able to sign him on any sort of contract until the summer. I thought that he was already a free agent?

We can still offer the lad a deal, but it will be another derisory £1000 a week like Andy Carroll.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Mar 2022 15:23

Terrell Thomas signs for the last 8 games of the season - must have done enough in training and the U23 games to be considered a good option for now at least.

Gives us a pacy option on the bench at least and/or maybe better full back cover than what we have - and if he turns out to be half decent may be an option for next year as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 16:34

Weymouth Royal
Nameless

We can still offer the lad a deal, but it will be another derisory £1000 a week like Andy Carroll.

I

Well he’s signed, so clearly all worked well !
Our restrictions were much more than size of salary of course (and we are now able to offer more than the £1000 which Carroll didn’t find at all derisory). We were also restricted in terms of numbers and were one in/one out.