New GK

541 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New GK

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2022 09:54

Agreed it will give him confidence - shame he can't play on Saturday. Good chance for Bouzanis though,

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2022 13:08

Stranded
URZZZZ
Hendo Kept us in it last night with a wonderful save at 1-0.

Yep - was a fantastic save and just the sort of thing needed after Saturdays horror show

Although it was a rather weak punch from their corner before their strong penalty appeal IIRC - couldn’t see too well so could be wrong

Wasn't a punch, he went up to claim it and was knocked by the melee of players knocking the ball loose. One of those things that will happen occasionally, not really at fault.

Probably should have claimed the slightly illjudged header from Holmes... but overall a good comeback

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2022 13:21

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
URZZZZ
Yep - was a fantastic save and just the sort of thing needed after Saturdays horror show

Although it was a rather weak punch from their corner before their strong penalty appeal IIRC - couldn’t see too well so could be wrong

Wasn't a punch, he went up to claim it and was knocked by the melee of players knocking the ball loose. One of those things that will happen occasionally, not really at fault.

Probably should have claimed the slightly illjudged header from Holmes... but overall a good comeback

Don't recall that one to be fair but always going to be the odd misjudgement from any keeper at this level - couple of early catches/claims clearly helped his confidence but a clean sheet and a top save at 1-0 will have done him great. He will have a mare again soon but if those become less and less, there is a very decent keeper there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2022 17:15

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Don't recall that one to be fair but always going to be the odd misjudgement from any keeper at this level - couple of early catches/claims clearly helped his confidence but a clean sheet and a top save at 1-0 will have done him great. He will have a mare again soon but if those become less and less, there is a very decent keeper there.

It was when he dropped it. Holmes then gently headed it back to him, but he missed / didn't see it and it trickled through to (I think) Long who tried to dribble out only to lose it and the run straight through the back of their player for what should have been a pen.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 16 Jul 2023 15:37

morganb DEAL DONE

We are pleased to announce that 27-year-old goalkeeper Joe Lumley has put pen to paper on a season-long loan move from @Boro

Welcome to Reading, Joe!

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2022/j ... long-loan/

Increasing rumours on Twitter of Lumley returning on a free.

Felt91

by Felt91 » 16 Jul 2023 16:06

Would rather see andersson have a go after a few years out on loan.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jul 2023 16:15

Felt91 Would rather see andersson have a go after a few years out on loan.

I think Lumley is an improvement on those keepers currently available to the club but don't think I'd be too bothered if he didn't return and Andresson and Bouzanis fought it out for the #1 shirt.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Jul 2023 16:39

Lumley is terrible, I really hope he doesn't return.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Jul 2023 17:44

tidus_mi2 Lumley is terrible, I really hope he doesn't return.

I can’t say I am too enamoured about Lumley coming back but I am not at all surprised. I think he’s okay for League One and not sure we’d get much better tbh.

On Strings

by On Strings » 16 Jul 2023 19:42

Don't see the benefit of Lumley coming back. Give Andresson a chance, and the same with CBC if he signs a new deal.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jul 2023 19:45

It’s not saying an awful lot but I thought Lumley was pretty close to POTS last time around.

That said it bugs the shit out of me that we won’t give our young keepers a proper chance to establish themselves in the 1st team.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Jul 2023 19:55

On Strings Don't see the benefit of Lumley coming back. Give Andresson a chance, and the same with CBC if he signs a new deal.

What if those at the club with more knowledge don't think Andresson is ready?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Jul 2023 20:16

I wouldn't be against the return of Lumley to be honest. Experienced option, would be fairly cheap on the wages side I imagine as well. I don't think we can be relying on Bouzanis.

I don't think CBC has been announced as staying yet? If he does stay, a couple of years for Lumley gives CBC the opportunity to go out on loan and then come back into the fold hopefully ready for the first team by that point.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 16 Jul 2023 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jul 2023 20:26

CBC is the future, I’d look to loan him out. Would be just as :| about signing Lumley as going with Andrésson don’t think it will really matter that much, not expecting much either way.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2023 23:15

CountryRoyal CBC is the future, I’d look to loan him out. Would be just as :| about signing Lumley as going with Andrésson don’t think it will really matter that much, not expecting much either way.

Lumley's a more solid choice than Andresson probably. But we already have Andresson, Lumley likely costs more and isn't likely to get much better. Whereas with game time Andresson may well come quite good.

If we're going to bring a keeper in, and spend more, I'd like it to be a clear upgrade. I don't see Lumley as that. And let's face it, if he comes, it's only because he couldn't find a better option and we're his step down back up choice.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jul 2023 01:31

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal CBC is the future, I’d look to loan him out. Would be just as :| about signing Lumley as going with Andrésson don’t think it will really matter that much, not expecting much either way.

Lumley's a more solid choice than Andresson probably. But we already have Andresson, Lumley likely costs more and isn't likely to get much better. Whereas with game time Andresson may well come quite good.

If we're going to bring a keeper in, and spend more, I'd like it to be a clear upgrade. I don't see Lumley as that. And let's face it, if he comes, it's only because he couldn't find a better option and we're his step down back up choice.

Yeah this is where my head is at about it.

If I thought we had a really solid chance at promotion id prefer a better keeper capable of winning games. As I don’t, I think there are plenty of “good enough” options for a mid table league one finish, who knows Andrésson could impress. Won’t know if we keep signing other team’s current or ex mediocre players.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2023 08:29

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Yeah this is where my head is at about it.

If I thought we had a really solid chance at promotion id prefer a better keeper capable of winning games. As I don’t, I think there are plenty of “good enough” options for a mid table league one finish, who knows Andrésson could impress. Won’t know if we keep signing other team’s current or ex mediocre players.

Agreed. Either the club brings in a clear step up (either permanently or on loan) or they should go with Andresson given his age. CBC should be put up for loan - guess his disappearance to represent Jamaica has slowed down news on whether he will/has re-signed.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jul 2023 08:51

Looking at Andresson's career to date, he didn't push on last season. 21/22 was a good season, and the fans at Morecambe absolutely loved him, but he made only 4 appearances last year. The Club will have been monitoring and may have decided he's not ready, in which case Lumley is a solid choice. Andresson is still only 21, which for a GK is very young. So we're not at the "play or sell" stage yet. Perhaps a couple more years development is what he needs.

Or perhaps if CBC is ultimately a better talent he will have to forge a career somewhere else.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2023 09:40

If we’ve the budget and want to bring in a more experienced keeper, Lumley isn’t a bad choice as a cheap option

Thought he improved as he went last year and obvs would settle in quickly

Be keen to try to offload Bouzanis if we do though

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Jul 2023 11:04

Lumley would be ok but think we may be able to find a better option so not bothered about this one

541 posts