New GK

541 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New GK

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2022 12:31

Be interested to see Nyland. Knew nothing about him other than he'd barely played in years.

I like Southwood. Before the defence utterly fell apart he was doing very well. He is a little on the short side, and he has made a few bad mistakes, but there's definitely potential there. Maybe he won't make it, but I think a lot of people are writing him off prematurely and scapegoating him for the faults of others. Forgetting the good he's shown.

Right now we could do with a big, experienced, reliable and commanding keeper. But we'll have to make do with Nyland and Southwood.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Mar 2022 15:04

Snowflake Royal Be interested to see Nyland. Knew nothing about him other than he'd barely played in years.

I like Southwood. Before the defence utterly fell apart he was doing very well. He is a little on the short side, and he has made a few bad mistakes, but there's definitely potential there. Maybe he won't make it, but I think a lot of people are writing him off prematurely and scapegoating him for the faults of others. Forgetting the good he's shown.

Right now we could do with a big, experienced, reliable and commanding keeper. But we'll have to make do with Nyland and Southwood.

A major part of being a keeper is to help ensure that the defence doesn't fall apart. Over the years we've seen our best keepers do that. Southwood wasn't displaying that same ability partly, I suspect, because he was having to focus so much on his own performance due to his relative inexperience at this level. To make matters worse, it seemed that his team mates weren't fully confident in his abilities. That in itself will have a negative effect on the team's defensive performance.

Every keeper will display some 'good', particularly when it comes to shot stopping, what distinguishes the average from the great is the amount and frequency of 'bad' they display.

Personally I think it's less an issue of writing him off prematurely and more one of him being dropped into a situation that he is not yet ready for.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Mar 2022 16:04

I thought Southwood was performing very well until the Derby incident. Seemed to completely know the stuffing out of him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2022 16:14

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal Be interested to see Nyland. Knew nothing about him other than he'd barely played in years.

A major part of being a keeper is to help ensure that the defence doesn't fall apart. Over the years we've seen our best keepers do that. Southwood wasn't displaying that same ability partly, I suspect, because he was having to focus so much on his own performance due to his relative inexperience at this level. To make matters worse, it seemed that his team mates weren't fully confident in his abilities. That in itself will have a negative effect on the team's defensive performance.

Every keeper will display some 'good', particularly when it comes to shot stopping, what distinguishes the average from the great is the amount and frequency of 'bad' they display.

Personally I think it's less an issue of writing him off prematurely and more one of him being dropped into a situation that he is not yet ready for.

A little of column A a little of column B

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Mar 2022 09:54

Franchise FC I thought Southwood was performing very well until the Derby incident. Seemed to completely know the stuffing out of him

Yep, this. Was confident and comfortable with crosses, then went to shit overnight.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 19 Mar 2022 13:59

Pepe the Horseman
AthleticoSpizz
Jagermesiter1871
Where have you heard this from?
Tilehurst gossip girls

Tbf wasn’t Ashdown (or some other gk local) a little bit that way inclined?

(apologies to Ashdown if incorrect…which it possibly is…there were two Tilehurst brothers one a gk one an outfield player on Readings books….who had ‘attitude’ apparently, one went to Leeds, but one did ok whilst one dissolved into non-league…or not) the memory fades

Shaun Allaway. Joined Leeds and was never heard of again.

Used to go to school with them. Were all a bit rough if I remember rightly.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 Mar 2022 19:48

Keiren Westwood played for QPR today, they conceded 3 and lost to Peterborough.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Mar 2022 20:21

……once again

Could Nyland be the next Marcus H?

Fulham's fourth choice keeper always had me down as OUR catalyst for success

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2022 22:20

morganb Keiren Westwood played for QPR today, they conceded 3 and lost to Peterborough.

Have you seen the highlights?

Pulled off a couple of quality saves. First goal was after he'd parried well and he got up to have another go, but no chance really. Second was a penalty he got hands to. Third was bent right into the top corner. Certainly wasn't at fault for any of them.

Nyland's doing well, but there's nothing there to suggest Westwood wouldn't have been a good choice to bring in. If anything it shows he's still got it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Mar 2022 11:11

Still going with the Westwood obsession. :D :D :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Mar 2022 14:44

Pepe the Horseman Shaun Allaway. Joined Leeds and was never heard of again.

Joined Leeds in March 2000 :shock: - yes it is that long ago - for a rumoured 500k plus addons which obvs. never materialised. Never made a senior appearance for Leeds and neither for Grimsby or Walsall where he was loaned. Leeds released him in the summer of 2004 and he then signed non contract terms for Slough Town - and I think played for them when they did Walsall in the FA Cup in 04/05.

His brother was Ricky I think, he left Reading in 2003 and the last I can recall he was playing for Basingstoke Town a few seasons ago.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Mar 2022 08:39

Snowflake Royal
morganb Keiren Westwood played for QPR today, they conceded 3 and lost to Peterborough.

Pulled off a couple of quality saves. First goal was after he'd parried well and he got up to have another go, but no chance really. Second was a penalty he got hands to. Third was bent right into the top corner. Certainly wasn't at fault for any of them.

Nyland's doing well, but there's nothing there to suggest Westwood wouldn't have been a good choice to bring in. If anything it shows he's still got it.

Westwood would have been OK short term but no argument that getting a current international #1 who clearly has quality and is six years younger was the better deal.

Also, if he settles well and knows he will be #1 next year, assuming we stay up, we may just have found our keeper for the next 2 or 3 seasons - as it appears Southwood is not trusted, at least at the moment. Westwood would never have been that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2022 13:03

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

Westwood would have been OK short term but no argument that getting a current international #1 who clearly has quality and is six years younger was the better deal.

Also, if he settles well and knows he will be #1 next year, assuming we stay up, we may just have found our keeper for the next 2 or 3 seasons - as it appears Southwood is not trusted, at least at the moment. Westwood would never have been that.

Westwood certainly wouldn’t be more than for this season and maybe cover next, no.

That's not the point of what I was saying though. It was the implication Westwood must be shit and so we made the right choice because he let in 3 goals in 1 game that I took issue with.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Mar 2022 17:10

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Mar 2022 06:27

Im not sure about Westwood. Seems to be carrying a bit of timber

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2022 08:54

He's also 64

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Mar 2022 10:11

and the wrong gender

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 Mar 2022 12:57

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... y-23517941

Reading FC are said to be one of three Championship clubs monitoring Brazilian goalkeeper Victor Braga ahead of a summer move.

The 30-year-old, who plays for Arouca in the Primeira Liga in Portugal, is out of contract this summer so would be available on a free transfer. A report on the MailOnline says that Braga 'has attracted a number of enquiries' and given there would be no transfer fee involved 'would be a bargain for Championship sides looking to bolster their options on a limited budget .'

Braga, who stands at 6ft 4in, has spent all of his career in Portugal.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Mar 2022 12:57

Makes sense to look for a new 'keeper if Nyland isn't returning. I'd probably prefer Nyland to just stay, but understand it isn't that easy.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Mar 2022 13:00

Hendo Makes sense to look for a new 'keeper if Nyland isn't returning. I'd probably prefer Nyland to just stay, but understand it isn't that easy.

Depending on the view on Southwood and if they feel he can make it, then it may make sense even if Nyland does stay. Any rumours are fairly worthless at the moment until we know what division we line up in next season.

541 posts