Rumour - Thomas-Asante

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Rumour - Thomas-Asante

by Sutekh » 24 Mar 2022 13:47

Media linking Reading with a summer move for 23 yr old Salford striker Brandon Thomas-Asante

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Thomas-Asante

by John Smith » 24 Mar 2022 14:08

Came across as a mature, level-headed guy in the Class of '92 programmes. Not sure if the Champ would be too high a step for him though, in terms of ability.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Mar 2022 14:31

Would be disappointed if we were making signings like this rather than giving Clarke a proper run.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 24 Mar 2022 14:47

Elm Park Kid Would be disappointed if we were making signings like this rather than giving Clarke a proper run.

With all the OOC players this summer and the likelihood of flogging Joao to get his wages off our books, I'd be surprised if we aren't looking for a couple of strikers. Clarke will almost certainly be in the frame next season.

Half Time Pizza

by Half Time Pizza » 24 Mar 2022 14:53

This is exactly the type of signing we should be looking at.

Not Inter Milan's sub bench

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Mar 2022 15:07

Is he cheap? If so then we should be looking at him

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Mar 2022 15:27

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Mar 2022 15:34

Can't help but think we will be linked with every rated lower division player this summer, esp. if we do stay up.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 24 Mar 2022 16:12

Stranded Can't help but think we will be linked with every rated lower division player this summer, esp. if we do stay up.

Seen us linked with Jamie Reid of Stevenage too, so you may be right.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 16:15

Elm Park Kid Would be disappointed if we were making signings like this rather than giving Clarke a proper run.

Clarke is 18 and some way off being ready for first team football. I’d only want players who can contribute straight away to be in the first team, not one’s with a lot of development still to do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2022 18:13

Nameless

Clarke is 18 and some way off being ready for first team football. I’d only want players who can contribute straight away to be in the first team, not one’s with a lot of development still to do.

Think you're going to find yourself unhappy a lot then, because I don't think we're going to be able to afford (m)any players capable of contributing straight away in the first team much more than Clarke can.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 24 Mar 2022 18:26

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Think you're going to find yourself unhappy a lot then, because I don't think we're going to be able to afford (m)any players capable of contributing straight away in the first team much more than Clarke can.

Agreed, and I can't say I agree that he isn't ready either. We've got a decent academy and more players like him who are impressing in the U21's deserve a chance to be in and around the first team waiting for a chance. He's clearly got something about him, and he's young and fearless with something to prove. If we don't give him the opportunities then someone else will.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Mar 2022 20:34

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

The agreement with the EFL next season is a 25 man squad and wage bill of 16m.

That is an average salary of around 12k pw per squad member. If, and it is a massive if, recruitment is handled right, we could end up with a much more impressive squad than we all expect at this stage - assuming Championship football of course.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 21:48

Weymouth Royal
Snowflake Royal
Nameless Clarke is 18 and some way off being ready for first team football. I’d only want players who can contribute straight away to be in the first team, not one’s with a lot of development still to do.

Agreed, and I can't say I agree that he isn't ready either. We've got a decent academy and more players like him who are impressing in the U21's deserve a chance to be in and around the first team waiting for a chance. He's clearly got something about him, and he's young and fearless with something to prove. If we don't give him the opportunities then someone else will.

Have you seen him play much ? I think too much has been made of 2 goals against Brum. What has he got to prove that a 24 year old from a lower division club hasn’t ? What makes you say he is ‘fearless’ ? It’s not really a word I’d say fits him when I’ve seen him. Olise was pretty fearless, Clarke ? No idea how that word describes him.
I don’tget The concept of ‘giving opportunities’, players have to earn them. If he doesn’t earn his opportunities then of course he’ll go the route of Lots of other youngsters who don’tmake It.
I hope he does train on, but to expect him to be a significant player for us next year is, in my opinion, wildly optimistic. There are better prospects.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 21:51

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Of course we will.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Mar 2022 10:10

Nameless
Weymouth Royal
Snowflake Royal Think you're going to find yourself unhappy a lot then, because I don't think we're going to be able to afford (m)any players capable of contributing straight away in the first team much more than Clarke can.

Have you seen him play much ? I think too much has been made of 2 goals against Brum. What has he got to prove that a 24 year old from a lower division club hasn’t ? What makes you say he is ‘fearless’ ? It’s not really a word I’d say fits him when I’ve seen him. Olise was pretty fearless, Clarke ? No idea how that word describes him.
I don’tget The concept of ‘giving opportunities’, players have to earn them. If he doesn’t earn his opportunities then of course he’ll go the route of Lots of other youngsters who don’tmake It.
I hope he does train on, but to expect him to be a significant player for us next year is, in my opinion, wildly optimistic. There are better prospects.

I personally think he's done alright when he's been involved, especially considering the situation we've been in for most of this season with injuries. I think he's stepped up amicably into the first team and, whilst still a long way to go, has shown signs of promise.

Whilst he's far from seasoned and we do need another forward in at the club with himself and Joao (and Meite technically) for next season, I wouldn't want someone to replace his position, but rather someone who he can continue to compete with.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 25 Mar 2022 11:26

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless Clarke is 18 and some way off being ready for first team football. I’d only want players who can contribute straight away to be in the first team, not one’s with a lot of development still to do.

Of course we will.

With the lowest wage budget in the Championship - approximately £20m lower than the big boys?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Mar 2022 12:41

Elm Park Kid
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Think you're going to find yourself unhappy a lot then, because I don't think we're going to be able to afford (m)any players capable of contributing straight away in the first team much more than Clarke can.

Of course we will.

With the lowest wage budget in the Championship - approximately £20m lower than the big boys?

I wonder how clubs' budgets compared when the 106 squad was assembled.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Mar 2022 12:58

Elm Park Kid
Nameless

Of course we will.

Yes, of course there are players out there for whom a Championship club would be extremely attractive and would be ready to play regularly ahead of an 18 year old who is being judged as ‘ready’ based on a sub performance in which he scored a couple of goals.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Mar 2022 14:24

Elm Park Kid
Nameless

Of course we will.

There are only 5 teams in the Championship with a wage bill over £16m this season. 4 have parachute payments, the other is us. If the bulk of the league can operate on an annual wage bill of £8-14m, there's no reason why we can't.