Rumour - The return of Mark Bowen (and Eddie Niedzwiecki?)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Rumour - The return of Mark Bowen (and Eddie Niedzwiecki?)

by RoyalBlue » 11 May 2022 23:52

Zip Just to say Swift joined in 2016 so we have had six years from him.
We cannot afford to pay him the competitive wage he will want. Besides surely he wants to test himself at a higher level? This may well be his last big contract and I would hope that he would join a PL club. He is technically good enough for the top flight.

Devastated as I will be to see him go, I can't argue with this.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 May 2022 08:04

I’m not convinced he’s good enough for the Prem. This season has gone against the norm for WBA as they are usually a top Champ or lower Prem side. Not sure why people think it’s a bad move for him?!

Bigger club, higher wage, more chance of promotion. Win win for him really

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 08:26

blythspartan Honestly, I don’t want Swift to stay. He’s been a great player at times over the last 5 years but he’s often been injured and marked out of games. I like the idea of a clear out of the current squad which on paper should be have been much better but have been garbage most of the time.

As I’ve mentioned before I’ll be getting a season ticket for next season which is my first in a while and I want to see young hungry players with a few older heads who aren’t injured every 5 minutes. I really hope that the fans and the players can get back the rapport that has been evident in a couple of our most recent games. I may well be disappointed but I feel that the upcoming season is a really important one for the club and they’ll need all the support they can get.

Yep, misses most of every other season. Too big a chunk of our budget. Very streaky form. Part of a side with a losing mentality. Part of a cadre of players who play like they're 3 or 4 up with unnecessary tricks and flicks when its not appropriate. Been here 5 years now? We both need a fresh challenge before he becomes Moore.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 08:43

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
But it almost certainly would not be approved by the EFL as it would break our agreed business plan. We have a restriction on wages meaning we can’t give contracts that exceed an average wage we have committed to. The key issue is that as fans we don’t know what that average is !

Is that actually true? I'm not suggesting it isn't, as I don't actually know, it just seems a bit odd as our players are all going to have varying wages anyway, so I wouldn't have thought the average wage that we can offer would matter because it would skew with every deal anyway.

Am I the ONLY one who actually reads the agreement reached between us and the league and tries to understand it ?
Actually I know Stranded does to although we don’t always come to the same conclusion
Read it for yourself and see what you think. But do you really think that there are no controls over what deals we can offer ?
The average obviously doesn’t change with every deal because it’s a fixed, pre agreed figure recognising that we need to have some flexibility to offer differing deals to different players.

I never actually said there were no controls over what we could offer, although I've never really thought the average wage for our restricted budget would be the best way to go about things either. But if that's what it is, that's what it is. I don't spend hours and hours of my time consistently looking over our restrictions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 20:28

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Is that actually true? I'm not suggesting it isn't, as I don't actually know, it just seems a bit odd as our players are all going to have varying wages anyway, so I wouldn't have thought the average wage that we can offer would matter because it would skew with every deal anyway.

Am I the ONLY one who actually reads the agreement reached between us and the league and tries to understand it ?
Actually I know Stranded does to although we don’t always come to the same conclusion
Read it for yourself and see what you think. But do you really think that there are no controls over what deals we can offer ?
The average obviously doesn’t change with every deal because it’s a fixed, pre agreed figure recognising that we need to have some flexibility to offer differing deals to different players.

I never actually said there were no controls over what we could offer, although I've never really thought the average wage for our restricted budget would be the best way to go about things either. But if that's what it is, that's what it is. I don't spend hours and hours of my time consistently looking over our restrictions.

If you work on your conciseness you should be able to free up the time. :wink:

Take it from someone at the bottom of the pit trap you're currently falling into.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 May 2022 10:22

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ial-media/

Basically, Mark Bowen has announced on LinkedIn that he has returned to Reading as Head of Football. Not a peep out of the Club yet.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 May 2022 10:28

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Honestly, I don’t want Swift to stay. He’s been a great player at times over the last 5 years but he’s often been injured and marked out of games. I like the idea of a clear out of the current squad which on paper should be have been much better but have been garbage most of the time.

As I’ve mentioned before I’ll be getting a season ticket for next season which is my first in a while and I want to see young hungry players with a few older heads who aren’t injured every 5 minutes. I really hope that the fans and the players can get back the rapport that has been evident in a couple of our most recent games. I may well be disappointed but I feel that the upcoming season is a really important one for the club and they’ll need all the support they can get.

Yep, misses most of every other season. Too big a chunk of our budget. Very streaky form. Part of a side with a losing mentality. Part of a cadre of players who play like they're 3 or 4 up with unnecessary tricks and flicks when its not appropriate. Been here 5 years now? We both need a fresh challenge before he becomes Moore.

Why are so many saying Swift has been here five years. He joined in 2016 as one of Stam’s first signings.
The bit about missing most of every other season is also incorrect. He missed most of 2020/21 but has otherwise played in a decent number of games. His average is around 31 League games per season over 6 seasons. That really isn’t too bad at all.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 May 2022 10:29

morganb https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/20136212.reading-fc-head-football-announces-new-role-social-media/

Basically, Mark Bowen has announced on LinkedIn that he has returned to Reading as Head of Football. Not a peep out of the Club yet.

I imagine the club had hoped to announce the full management team incl Bowen in one announcement. Kind of sums up the comms of late but good to see Bowen is getting to work immediately.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 May 2022 10:55

morganb https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/20136212.reading-fc-head-football-announces-new-role-social-media/

The club need to improve hugely in this area. The lack of communication with the supporters was dreadful last season

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 13 May 2022 11:59

How do we know that’s definitely the correct Mark Bowen on LinkedIn? Could be a fake account

How does this role differ to the previous one he did? Believe that was Sporting Director whereas this is Head of Football?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 May 2022 12:02

Notts Royal
How does this role differ to the previous one he did? Believe that was Sporting Director whereas this is Head of Football?

Well i don`t think any other sports are played at the SCL stadium so i would think they are both the same thing.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 13 May 2022 12:51

To be fair, the club still haven't announced that Bowen has left his job as manager, so it's consistent to not announce that he's come back again. Perhaps they never realised that he left.

I've got this vision of him never handing in his key card to the stadium office because he wasn't fired properly, and nipping back in this week to take over an empty desk and just appoint himself to the Head of Football role.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2022 12:53

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Why are so many saying Swift has been here five years. He joined in 2016 as one of Stam’s first signings.
The bit about missing most of every other season is also incorrect. He missed most of 2020/21 but has otherwise played in a decent number of games. His average is around 31 League games per season over 6 seasons. That really isn’t too bad at all.

16/17 - 34(5)
17/18 - 17(7)
18/19 - 28(6)
19/20 - 40(1)
20/21 - 10(4)
21/22 - ~38

So he's missed about half a season, 3/4s of a season and about 1/4 of a season. Its not exactly wildly inaccurate to say he's out a lot is it.

Apologies for being one year out with a question mark.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 May 2022 12:57

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Yep, misses most of every other season. Too big a chunk of our budget. Very streaky form. Part of a side with a losing mentality. Part of a cadre of players who play like they're 3 or 4 up with unnecessary tricks and flicks when its not appropriate. Been here 5 years now? We both need a fresh challenge before he becomes Moore.

16/17 - 34(5)
17/18 - 17(7)
18/19 - 28(6)
19/20 - 40(1)
20/21 - 10(4)
21/22 - ~38

So he's missed about half a season, 3/4s of a season and about 1/4 of a season. Its not exactly wildly inaccurate to say he's out a lot is it.

Apologies for being one year out with a question mark.

So in other words he has made plenty of appearances in 4 out of the 6 seasons. As I say an average of 31 appearances a season over the 6 seasons is decent. Very few players don’t pick up injuries in the Championship over a 6 year period.
His record does not mark him out as injury prone. When he is injured it’s the same type of injury.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2022 14:27

Notts Royal How do we know that’s definitely the correct Mark Bowen on LinkedIn? Could be a fake account

They missed an ‘s’ off, apparently it’s actually Head of Footballs and Mark will be responsible for locating a good supplier who can provide balls at a competitive rate and also to ensure the footballs are properly inflated to Football League standards at all times.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 May 2022 14:39

Sutekh
Notts Royal How do we know that’s definitely the correct Mark Bowen on LinkedIn? Could be a fake account

They missed an ‘s’ off, apparently it’s actually Head of Footballs and Mark will be responsible for locating a good supplier who can provide balls at a competitive rate and also to ensure the footballs are properly inflated to Football League standards at all times.

No it’s not a typo, due to the FFP restrictions the club will only have one football all season and Bowen will be responsible for its welfare and protection.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2022 16:21

Zip

The club need to improve hugely

Fixed

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 13 May 2022 22:16

SCIAG
Sutekh

No it’s not a typo, due to the FFP restrictions the club will only have one football all season and Bowen will be responsible for its welfare and protection.

Reminds me of when we used to use multi-ball at the Mad Stad to confuse the opposition. Was a good way of avoiding time wasting so shame to see it disappear

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 May 2022 19:58

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

The agreement is about 2 pages long. It really doesn’t need hours.
Spending 5 minutes and having some idea has to be better than posting endless stuff suggesting there might be things when there aren’t.
As for there being an average wage why do you not think this is a sensible thing ? It gives us quite a lot of flexibility....

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 May 2022 23:35

Now confimred