Freebies

706 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Freebies

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2022 10:54

From Despair To Where? I never really got the enthusiasm for Luongo.

Good level of league experience, I guess.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Sep 2022 13:53

Jordon Ibe seems to have been identified as being at training today by people with more time on their hands than they should have.

Well documented issues with his mental health over the last few years that are hopefully behind him. Undoubtedly a very talented player and still 26 - definitely worth a look.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2022 14:45

Hendo

When you compare him to the other early trialists of Hutchinson, Jones, BOO, Wickham, Murphy, Grant etc, he stands out at the top end.

When you compare him to our actual signings, Hutchinson, Hendrick, Fornah, Loum etc, he definitely doesn't. But would be a good experienced player for the squad to back them up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2022 19:54

Snowflake Royal
Hendo

When you compare him to the other early trialists of Hutchinson, Jones, BOO, Wickham, Murphy, Grant etc, he stands out at the top end.

When you compare him to our actual signings, Hutchinson, Hendrick, Fornah, Loum etc, he definitely doesn't. But would be a good experienced player for the squad to back them up.

Incidentally anyone able to confirm whether BOO is still with the club with his injury?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2022 20:05

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Incidentally anyone able to confirm whether BOO is still with the club with his injury?

Maybe someone unashamedly in the know.

My guess would be that given we've signed two LBs, I'd expect not.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Sep 2022 21:08

Pretty sure he isn’t

Luongo would have been a useful backup option. Was v good at QPR but the injury record was certainly a concern

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Sep 2022 21:15

Stranded Jordon Ibe seems to have been identified as being at training today by people with more time on their hands than they should have.

Well documented issues with his mental health over the last few years that are hopefully behind him. Undoubtedly a very talented player and still 26 - definitely worth a look.

I’ve two very dull Jordan Ibe ‘stories’

One that I used to see and chat to his dad at the gym every day when he was first making a name for himself, and secondly I once bumped into Nigel Adkins on a train when he was Reading boss and asked him if he could sign any player in the division who would it be - and it was Ibe (he was at Derby at the time)

So for those reasons alone i’m in

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Sep 2022 06:02

I’d be happy with Jordan Ibe. I am probably alone but I wasn’t disappointed about not signing Theo Walcott.

I know that Ibe has had mental health issues but I feel that Ince and Rae can get the best out of players.

In addition, I have wondered if they could get Liam Moore back to his best but it’s probably too late now. I have read that the players respond really well to Rae. It’s funny as he reminds me of the actor Jason Statham, so I think of him having the tough guy character played by Statham in films.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Sep 2022 08:02

Stranded Jordon Ibe seems to have been identified as being at training today by people with more time on their hands than they should have.

How does this work then?

As far as I know Jordon signed a 3.5 year deal at Adanaspor in Turkey in January this year. Would Adanaspor really have agreed to rip up a 3.5 year deal for one of their players within 8 months (a loan is out of the question as the Turkey window shut on 8 September)? I haven't found anything to suggest that they have so reckon this might be a case of

Anyway, for those that don't know anything about Jordon, he made 41 league appearances for Liverpool over 4 years between 2012 and 2016. He's now 26 years old and plays primarily as a winger (he can play either flank) as well as a striker. He left Liverpool for Bournemouth for £15m in 2016 where he spent 4 years and made 78 league appearances. Then came 2 years at Derby where his 2 year deal was curtailed by mutual agreement in January this year with the player citing depression. He has previously been described as pacey and a good old fashioned "jinky" winger. Lastly he originally hails from Bermondsey and started his career down the road at Wycombe so, if there is something in all this, then perhaps it's the ideal club for him to try and resurrect his career.

Personally I would like this to prove true whether now or in January but unless there was a "release for nowt in case of failing to settle" clause in his contract in Turkey I can't see this having any possibility of currently happening.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Sep 2022 08:57

From what I can tell, he hasn't managed to play for them yet or potentially even make the squad. So may well be that they have parted ways to let him go back to England.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Sep 2022 09:20

Stranded From what I can tell, he hasn't managed to play for them yet or potentially even make the squad. So may well be that they have parted ways to let him go back to England.

Just had a look at his Instagram and there are two videos of him training in late august. and I can’t quite work out whether it’s in England or not. maybe the more eagle eyed can confirm. But what I did see in the background was an AT&T van go past and a Biffa bin lorry. Looking at the biffa website they are based in Wycombe (where he started his football career) they seem to only have a presence in the UK. Which would suggest the videos are shot over here. But I may be wrong.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Sep 2022 09:38

My issue with Jordon is that too many people will spell his first name incorrectly. Do we really need that?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Sep 2022 14:30

Millsy My issue with Jordon is that too many people will spell his first name incorrectly. Do we really need that?

O dear you’re right I made A mistake with that one.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Sep 2022 12:39

Defender Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill who was on trial with Reading FC over the summer completes European transfer

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-24994401

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Sep 2022 08:24

So with Mbengue in, I guess we have 2 spots left to fill - so potentially Carroll and Ibe (or A.N.Other) - to give us a full squad post the international break.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Sep 2022 08:58

I would be happy with only one more to come in and to leave a space for an addition in January. I would prefer Ibe as he has a longer shelf life and will have some of resale value if he rediscovers himself.
We have a few of the academy who deserve a shot who I think are ready for the step up and we still have Azeez to come back in and prove his fitness.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 Sep 2022 13:30

Fabian Delph rumour anyone?

https://www.ibroxnews.com/2022/09/16/ra ... ian-delph/

Along with the Gers, Middlesbrough, Reading, West Brom, Sheffield United and Sunderland are all equally intrigued by Delph who was briefly on the radar of some Premier League clubs too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Sep 2022 13:54

morganb Fabian Delph rumour anyone?

Along with the Gers, Middlesbrough, Reading, West Brom, Sheffield United and Sunderland are all equally intrigued by Delph who was briefly on the radar of some Premier League clubs too.

Would 100% take him, I just can't see that happening because of competition for his signature as well as wages. If we were to pull that off, it would be excellent.

Getting Moore out of the way in January will be crucial to being able to keep Mbengue and Carroll on until at least the EOS as well as any others as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Sep 2022 14:23

YorkshireRoyal99
morganb Fabian Delph rumour anyone?

Would 100% take him, I just can't see that happening because of competition for his signature as well as wages. If we were to pull that off, it would be excellent.

Getting Moore out of the way in January will be crucial to being able to keep Mbengue and Carroll on until at least the EOS as well as any others as well.

A fit commited Fabian Delph is still too good for the Championship, would be great to get him but find it highly doubtful he would come.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Sep 2022 14:01

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

A fit commited Fabian Delph is still too good for the Championship, would be great to get him but find it highly doubtful he would come.

Seems there is definite interest though not only from Reading as mentioned above.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/ ... sfer-news/

For those who aren’t into knowing everything about other players at other clubs, Fabian is (now) a 32 year old central midfielder released by Everton over the summer. He came through the ranks at Leeds, caught the eye at Aston Villa before an up and down time at Man City and a less than successful time at Everton.

In the last 7 seasons he’s made 130 appearances in all competitions and scored 5 goals (that’s about 18 apps a season and 0.04 goals a game). He also has 20 England caps - the last arriving in 2019.

Wonder how fit he is and what sort of deals he is attracting. He hails from Bradford and Birmingham is as far south as he’s been club-wise so there may well be quite a lot of talking needed to persuade him down here. He has at least got experienced of the Championship and even League 1 so the level shouldn’t be totally alien to him.

Will be quite an achievement for Reading to succeed in signing him though, esp. with all the ffp issues. But stranger things have happened!

706 posts