Freebies

706 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Freebies

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jul 2022 13:15

Would be useful to have another escapegoat option along with Ejaria and Ince.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Jul 2022 13:30

Hound
Sutekh
Hound Confirmation if it was needed from Eddie that Drinkwater been training with us. No suggestion yet of it being any more than that

Actually wouldn't mind too much if Drinkwater signed on for another year with the club.

No if we can afford it then all for it

If we can get Sarr and Loum over the line, DD, the LB and possibly another forward we’ve actually come up with a pretty decent squad considering the limitations. Real context on how much we’ve blown in previous years on prob about the same standard squad

That's how clubs like Preston have been doing it for years - it's interesting to see that you can actually sign a pretty decent squad without breaking the bank!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jul 2022 13:32

Hound
Sutekh
Hound Confirmation if it was needed from Eddie that Drinkwater been training with us. No suggestion yet of it being any more than that

Actually wouldn't mind too much if Drinkwater signed on for another year with the club.

No if we can afford it then all for it

If we can get Sarr and Loum over the line, DD, the LB and possibly another forward we’ve actually come up with a pretty decent squad considering the limitations. Real context on how much we’ve blown in previous years on prob about the same standard squad

Agree - would give us good depth in many areas of the pitch and I think that squad (assuming all came off, if they are even deals) is more suited to the league than what we've had previously.

The likes of Puscas and Ejaria are not poor players, just probably not "that" suited to the Championship.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2022 13:40

Despite Ian’s protestations, Ejaria’s been one of the highest ranking midfield players in the div according to whoscored since he’s been here. He is suited to it, just needs to add more goals and assists to his name

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jul 2022 14:10

Is there just a dearth of LBs available on a free? The only one we've been close to has been Guinness-Walker, who does not look like a 1st choice candidate from his career to date.

I've been very impressed at how the club has brought in players of a decent calibre on a shoestring, but in the position where we're desperately lacking there has been nothing.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jul 2022 14:11

Hound Despite Ian’s protestations, Ejaria’s been one of the highest ranking midfield players in the div according to whoscored since he’s been here. He is suited to it, just needs to add more goals and assists to his name

That really surprise’s me about Ejaria. I have to admit that I am not his biggest fan but he is sometimes capable of brilliance. I am really hoping he can find consistency this season and he’s looked okay in preseason so far, apart from some kamikaze touches again Brighton. Obviously, I want him to do well and change my mind about him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jul 2022 14:20

blythspartan
Hound Despite Ian’s protestations, Ejaria’s been one of the highest ranking midfield players in the div according to whoscored since he’s been here. He is suited to it, just needs to add more goals and assists to his name

That really surprise’s me about Ejaria. I have to admit that I am not his biggest fan but he is sometimes capable of brilliance. I am really hoping he can find consistency this season and he’s looked okay in preseason so far, apart from some kamikaze touches again Brighton. Obviously, I want him to do well and change my mind about him.

That's what I was alluding to, he just seems inconsistent to me, capable of brilliant moments but can be a wasted player in some games or when he's having an off day. Technically far better than he is physically, looks like he's moving slow motion a lot of the time, but obviously a capable player.

To be fair though, if our midfield for the season does turn out to be Fonsah, Hendrick, Drinkwater, Loum and Ejaria, I struggle to find any team in and around us (probably even the bottom half) that has a better midfield than that, on paper at least. Supply that with Joao and Meite who can score goals in most teams, Puscas in a two man attack and Long may contribute, there is actually a bit more to optimistic about than what meets the eye.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jul 2022 14:23

WestYorksRoyal Is there just a dearth of LBs available on a free? The only one we've been close to has been Guinness-Walker, who does not look like a 1st choice candidate from his career to date.

I've been very impressed at how the club has brought in players of a decent calibre on a shoestring, but in the position where we're desperately lacking there has been nothing.

Left backs definitely seem a rarer breed than right backs and we have been struggling to find a good one for a while. Tbf Baba was okay but only a loan signing. I have heard good things about BOO who is still on trial but injured so I am hoping he’ll be an option. I’d be quite happy to see us take a punt on NGW and hope he can become our next Shorey.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2022 14:31

Reckon we’d have signed BOO weeks ago if not injured

Suspect NGW will be signed up imminently

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jul 2022 14:45

Hound Reckon we’d have signed BOO weeks ago if not injured

Suspect NGW will be signed up imminently

I hope so as I’ve been watching some highlights and he definitely has something about him. It’s just a gut feeling really but I remember feeling the same about Kevin Doyle against Burnley at home from memory.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jul 2022 14:48

He will definitely be capable to compete for a spot in our squad, we've struggled with depth at left back really ever since Obita and Blackett left and that was a good couple of seasons ago now so having 2 players that can play there will be useful for us, particularly since both Bristow and Samuels from the U23's have moved on to pastures new.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2022 17:48

Rankings schmankings. :P

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Jul 2022 18:57

Pepe the Horseman Would be useful to have another escapegoat option along with Ejaria and Ince.

Don't forget we also have Lumley and Deano who have already been written off.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jul 2022 19:33

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman Would be useful to have another escapegoat option along with Ejaria and Ince.

Don't forget we also have Lumley and Deano who have already been written off.

Yeh a lot of potential there actually. Could even see Fornah filling that role based on some of the comments after the Brighton game.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jul 2022 15:10

Oxford United have signed ex-Reading trialist and former Coventry City winger, Jodi Jones. The 24-year-old joins the U’s having been involved for much of pre-season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Aug 2022 14:36

How to make friends and influence people - in the words of Paul Ince:

No disrespect to anyone, but we are fishing from the bottom of the pond.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-24648170

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2022 14:46

morganb How to make friends and influence people - in the words of Paul Ince:

Everyone knows that to be true though, a free agent isn't signing for us if they have the chance of more money elsewhere. We are essentially after the players no-one else wants or offering them longer deals than they could dream of getting elsewhere.

Ince is very honest in his comments and this just fits with that part of his personality, though it could well rub some people up the wrong way.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Aug 2022 13:11

I was reading that Bruce wants Kenneth Zohore to find a new club as he’s in the last year of his contract. Possibility, they might terminate his contract by mutual consent or send him out on loan for the season. It’s not worked out for him at West Brom but I thought he looked decent at Cardiff. He’s only 28 and if we could get it to work financially he might be worth a punt.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Aug 2022 14:21

Stranded
morganb How to make friends and influence people - in the words of Paul Ince:

Everyone knows that to be true though, a free agent isn't signing for us if they have the chance of more money elsewhere. We are essentially after the players no-one else wants or offering them longer deals than they could dream of getting elsewhere.

Ince is very honest in his comments and this just fits with that part of his personality, though it could well rub some people up the wrong way.

Some of the biggest fish swim at the bottom of the pond…

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2022 14:27

blythspartan I was reading that Bruce wants Kenneth Zohore to find a new club as he’s in the last year of his contract. Possibility, they might terminate his contract by mutual consent or send him out on loan for the season. It’s not worked out for him at West Brom but I thought he looked decent at Cardiff. He’s only 28 and if we could get it to work financially he might be worth a punt.

May be worth a look if wba paid most of his wage and just wanted rid

706 posts