Freebies

706 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Freebies

by Zip » 24 Jun 2022 10:40

NathStPaul It would have been hard for him not to improve based upon his performances before Ince arrived.

Has it got so bad that Danny Drinkwater would be welcomed back with open arms?

What other options are there babes? We have lost our entire first choice central midfield. Huge holes to fill. I don’t know of many available options.
I demand names from you OMA.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2022 10:46

Zip
NathStPaul It would have been hard for him not to improve based upon his performances before Ince arrived.

What other options are there babes? We have lost our entire first choice central midfield. Huge holes to fill. I don’t know of many available options.

There are countless released Premier League academy/U23 products I would take over Danny Drinkwater. Have a look at Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Liverpool's recent releases and I would take any one of those players over Danny Drinkwater, there will be between 5-10 realistic options from the released academy/u23's squads.

I saw this argument many times when Paunovic was here trying to relegate us. "We have to keep him, there are no better options". There is always a better option if you look hard enough. We don't have to take Danny Drinkwater back purely because he was here last season and the guy certainly is not the future, he has had his time.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Jun 2022 10:50

Yes maybe, lol. I am pretty sure it was you who initially mentioned Korey Smith but apologies if I am wrong. I think he’d be a good option but I don’t know if he is still a freebie?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2022 10:52

blythspartan

Yes maybe, lol. I am pretty sure it was you who initially mentioned Korey Smith but apologies if I am wrong. I think he’d be a good option but I don’t know if he is still a freebie?

No not me. I am too busy longing for the return of Emerse Fae.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Jun 2022 10:58

Hound With Carroll, Thought there was a chance when he first got released but yeah not now, we’d have heard something

Also a totally different management team in charge now

There is still hope:

Belgian champions Club Brugge TURN DOWN signing Andy Carroll because his 'physical and mental tests were considered to be insufficient'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rroll.html

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2022 11:11

morganb
Hound With Carroll, Thought there was a chance when he first got released but yeah not now, we’d have heard something

Also a totally different management team in charge now

There is still hope:

Belgian champions Club Brugge TURN DOWN signing Andy Carroll because his 'physical and mental tests were considered to be insufficient'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rroll.html

:shock:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Jun 2022 11:31

Not really a surprise but we are missing out on every player I’ve seen us linked to. Saying that, it’s probably just all made up rumours.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... g-reports/

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jun 2022 12:16

NathStPaul
Zip

There are countless released Premier League academy/U23 products I would take over Danny Drinkwater. Have a look at Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Liverpool's recent releases and I would take any one of those players over Danny Drinkwater, there will be between 5-10 realistic options from the released academy/u23's squads.

I saw this argument many times when Paunovic was here trying to relegate us. "We have to keep him, there are no better options". There is always a better option if you look hard enough. We don't have to take Danny Drinkwater back purely because he was here last season and the guy certainly is not the future, he has had his time.

Tom Ince isn't the future either, but was a reliable performer under P. Ince when he came in and I can't imagine Drinkwater would be any different either. As mentioned, improved drastically and showed signs of his game that none of us believed he would be able to do. Not a long-term fix, but a 12 month deal with the option of extending for a further year would hardly be a bad piece of business.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jun 2022 13:11

YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul
Zip

Tom Ince isn't the future either, but was a reliable performer under P. Ince when he came in and I can't imagine Drinkwater would be any different either. As mentioned, improved drastically and showed signs of his game that none of us believed he would be able to do. Not a long-term fix, but a 12 month deal with the option of extending for a further year would hardly be a bad piece of business.

I didn’t mind Drinkwater but don’t agree, can’t just keep delaying the inevitable each season, just clinging on to survival etc

Needs to be some sort of long term plan and there’s no better place to start than this season given the number of players gone. Don’t see Drinkwater as part of any long term plan

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Jun 2022 13:27

Basically we'll have no choice but to sign the shit that no other clubs want.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jun 2022 13:28

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul There are countless released Premier League academy/U23 products I would take over Danny Drinkwater. Have a look at Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Liverpool's recent releases and I would take any one of those players over Danny Drinkwater, there will be between 5-10 realistic options from the released academy/u23's squads.

I didn’t mind Drinkwater but don’t agree, can’t just keep delaying the inevitable each season, just clinging on to survival etc

Needs to be some sort of long term plan and there’s no better place to start than this season given the number of players gone. Don’t see Drinkwater as part of any long term plan

You can’t put a long term plan in place in one go.
Coppell didn’t sign all the 106 side in the same summer. He brought in some players who just had short term roles while he found all the pieces he needed. There would be absolutely nothing wrong signing a couple of players to fill gaps for a season rather than insisting every player had to be a long term prospect.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Jun 2022 13:32

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul There are countless released Premier League academy/U23 products I would take over Danny Drinkwater. Have a look at Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Liverpool's recent releases and I would take any one of those players over Danny Drinkwater, there will be between 5-10 realistic options from the released academy/u23's squads.

I agree about the long term plan but I am not sure we’ll have the luxury of a long term plan until 23/24. I see the season ahead as one of survival and probably short term fixes. Anything to keep us above the dotted line. I did call for a complete overhaul of the squad with young hungry youngsters but the reality is that we might have to take what we can get this season.

The good news is some of our promising academy players like Camara and Scott have now signed new deals.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jun 2022 13:41

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah been mentioned below a couple of times but will reiterate that I don't think it will be as easy to plan for the future this summer given the restrictions we have on the club. I do agree we need to have one in place and the renewal of a lot of promising talents in the U23's in one step to doing so.

Ultimately, we aren't going to go from where we are now to play off pushers once the restrictions are lifted next summer either. Ince and Yiadom have both signed 3 year deals despite being early 30's which would suggest it is still going to be a building block process before we get anywhere near that level. That's not even taking into account that relegation is a real possibility this season as well.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jun 2022 14:04

blythspartan
URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99

I agree about the long term plan but I am not sure we’ll have the luxury of a long term plan until 23/24. I see the season ahead as one of survival and probably short term fixes

Hasn’t that been the plan for four successive summers now? To “keep our heads above the water”. What if we’re in the same position next season (I.e just stayed up, small squad with players going), do we say the same thing again? At what point is enough enough to simply just staying up each season? Personally think that’s just delaying the inevitable

I do like the mix of experience/inexperience in the squad so in that regard, Drinkwater would be OK. But then I don’t necessarily see him as a particularly good role model, his relationship with fans is fractious at best and on a personal level, he’s had a fairly poor four/five seasons. Mentality of the group needs to be better and I don’t think that’s something Drinkwater would necessarily offer

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jun 2022 14:43

URZZZZ
blythspartan
URZZZZ

I agree about the long term plan but I am not sure we’ll have the luxury of a long term plan until 23/24. I see the season ahead as one of survival and probably short term fixes

Hasn’t that been the plan for four successive summers now? To “keep our heads above the water”. What if we’re in the same position next season (I.e just stayed up, small squad with players going), do we say the same thing again? At what point is enough enough to simply just staying up each season? Personally think that’s just delaying the inevitable

I do like the mix of experience/inexperience in the squad so in that regard, Drinkwater would be OK. But then I don’t necessarily see him as a particularly good role model, his relationship with fans is fractious at best and on a personal level, he’s had a fairly poor four/five seasons. Mentality of the group needs to be better and I don’t think that’s something Drinkwater would necessarily offer

I wouldn't say four successive summers no, but definitely the last two, including this one. Maybe it's just the overall feeling from the fanbase and media that we would end up finishing lower bottom half and looking over our shoulders, but we've finished 14th and 7th previous to last season and we made a managerial change from Gomes to Bowen when it was clear we were underperforming and then Bowen to Paunovic to go all out for one more season in an attempt to achieve promotion.

Ultimately, we didn't get that and now we've been left treading water just ensuring we survive at all costs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jun 2022 14:46

Would hope the new structure in place plus the contracts to the academy lads (though they look quite short contracts) points the way forward for a longer term plan

100% agree bored of the just get through the seaosn approach we’ve had the last 4 years or so

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jun 2022 14:52

Hound Would hope the new structure in place plus the contracts to the academy lads (though they look quite short contracts) points the way forward for a longer term plan

100% agree bored of the just get through the seaosn approach we’ve had the last 4 years or so

We need to be very careful with the Academy contracts. There are likely to be one or two boys who emerge from the Academy and do well for the first team next season. We really don’t want to then lose them for pitiful compensation if other clubs come in for them next summer when their contracts have expired.
We have been utterly dreadful at cashing in on so many players. That has to change.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Jun 2022 14:53

Hound Would hope the new structure in place plus the contracts to the academy lads (though they look quite short contracts) points the way forward for a longer term plan

Those last fews years were absolutely of our own choosing.

Whilst the current predicament is absolutely our own fault, we have little choice than to be looking at survival thus season

Would be fantastic if a few of the loans/graduates turned out to be world beaters in waiting and we outperform any expectations, but it doesn’t seem likely at the moment

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jun 2022 15:07

Zip

We need to be very careful with the Academy contracts. There are likely to be one or two boys who emerge from the Academy and do well for the first team next season. We really don’t want to then lose them for pitiful compensation if other clubs come in for them next summer when their contracts have expired.
We have been utterly dreadful at cashing in on so many players. That has to change.

Yeah agree with that.

One I'm definitely happy about is Holmes, if he begins to perform like he did in Pauno's first season and garners interest higher up the Championship or even PL, we are in a much better negotiating position than what we were at the start of the season where bids were around the £1.5m mark according to reports.

Now we can be in a position to potentially demand upwards of £5m depending on how much he is earning and when teams come in for him.

If this does happen to be Dorsett's breakthrough season and he begins to perform well, he's one I'd be really disappointed to lose next summer as he's only signed a 1 year extension.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2022 19:06

Not by me.

706 posts