Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Freebies

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2022 12:53

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Stranded
Given we haven't really set up with full backs in the past 2 games, I'm fairly certain TMac won't play LB v Blackpool, unless we see a shift back to 4231 on Saturday. He'll be the left of 3 CBs.

I must admit that I am not great with formations but I thought that we had been playing with 2 full backs but happy to be corrected.

Certainly looked that way vs Benfica and Wham

We've been playing with wingback not full backs v West Ham certainly.

Holmes, Hutchinson and McIntyre played as 3 CBs - with Yiadom a more advanced RB and, on Saturday at least, Hoilett playing as LWB - against Benfica it was a flat back 4 but from the shape of the last 2 games we have moved away from that - probably, at least in part, due to wanting to avoid square pegs in round holes as much as possible.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2022 12:56

We'll have to agree to disagree.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jul 2022 13:44

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
The Hutchinson deal was held up waiting on the EFL as was the Long deal I believe.
Notmsure how easy it would be to run things in parallel, especially if you are talking to several players not all of whom you might actually sign. Knowing whether Deal A might be approved might influence whether deals B, C or D are needed, and if you actually go with deal B you might be able to do deal F as well.

I think the question was "a few weeks", as I just can't see it being that long personally, but ultimately I guess it will be on a case by case basis.

I'm sure it will all get taken into consideration, or there may be times where we can't offer certain players deals because we are currently in discussions to offer player x a deal etc. I can imagine that's where the difficulties in negotiating deals really begin to apply.

Hutchinson has been with us quite a while....
It really isn’t a question of just dropping the league a quick email and getting a thumbs up by return....

He's been on trial though all of this time, that doesn't mean to say we offered him a deal the minute we came on trial with us and I don't think that would have happened either.

I reckon we had taken him on trial, seen how he performed in training/matches and then offered him a deal. I don't think it will have taken that long for us to have concluded the deal, from when it was offered, the EFL and player negotiations in between, to the player signing on the dotted line.

I'm not suggesting is a case of dropping a quick email, but I can't imagine it will have taken weeks to sort out with the EFL, I'd imagine the negotiations with the player and their agents would be a more lengthy process.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2022 15:03

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
I think the question was "a few weeks", as I just can't see it being that long personally, but ultimately I guess it will be on a case by case basis.

I'm sure it will all get taken into consideration, or there may be times where we can't offer certain players deals because we are currently in discussions to offer player x a deal etc. I can imagine that's where the difficulties in negotiating deals really begin to apply.

It really isn’t a question of just dropping the league a quick email and getting a thumbs up by return....

He's been on trial though all of this time, that doesn't mean to say we offered him a deal the minute we came on trial with us and I don't think that would have happened either.

I reckon we had taken him on trial, seen how he performed in training/matches and then offered him a deal. I don't think it will have taken that long for us to have concluded the deal, from when it was offered, the EFL and player negotiations in between, to the player signing on the dotted line.

I'm not suggesting is a case of dropping a quick email, but I can't imagine it will have taken weeks to sort out with the EFL, I'd imagine the negotiations with the player and their agents would be a more lengthy process.

What you think , imagine (guess) isn’t necessarily what happens.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jul 2022 15:45

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Likewise then...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2022 17:19

Nah, Nameless has a direct line to the club HR and the FL.

Have you not noticed how he always pushes the club line? He's an employee.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2022 18:36

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Likewise then...

I assume you were at Wimbledon on Tuesday chatting to people , or been around long enough that you get a few people who know things and are happy to share ?
I make no claim to be ITK on lots of things, there are people on here far better connected than me, but at the same time it’s not hard if you live locally to know people who know things. I’m not clear how exiles in places like, to pick a random place, Cambridge, get to run into ex players, kit men, groundsmen etc etc. But obviously they must be connected somehow to always know everything about anything that gets talked about....
But your post was so full of hedges and ‘ I would imagine’ that it just is obviously not based on any actual knowledge.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2022 18:37

Snowflake Royal Nah, Nameless has a direct line to the club HR and the FL.

Have you not noticed how he always pushes the club line? He's an employee.

Not sure that could be noticed as the club doesn’t seem to have a ‘line’ on many things.
I’m not employed by anyone (so spending time on here isn’t cheating on my employer....)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jul 2022 08:50

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Likewise then...

I assume you were at Wimbledon on Tuesday chatting to people , or been around long enough that you get a few people who know things and are happy to share ?
I make no claim to be ITK on lots of things, there are people on here far better connected than me, but at the same time it’s not hard if you live locally to know people who know things. I’m not clear how exiles in places like, to pick a random place, Cambridge, get to run into ex players, kit men, groundsmen etc etc. But obviously they must be connected somehow to always know everything about anything that gets talked about....
But your post was so full of hedges and ‘ I would imagine’ that it just is obviously not based on any actual knowledge.

Given my name, YORKSHIRE Royal, you'd be pretty wise to suggest I don't live locally.

It wasn't based on actual knowledge no, it was just a guess, speculation is allowed it's a forum after all. I just don't believe it would take "a few weeks" to sort out discussions with the EFL for transfers, but I can imagine it would ultimately depend on a case by case basis.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2022 10:30

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Likewise then...

Given my name, YORKSHIRE Royal, you'd be pretty wise to suggest I don't live locally.

It wasn't based on actual knowledge no, it was just a guess, speculation is allowed it's a forum after all. I just don't believe it would take "a few weeks" to sort out discussions with the EFL for transfers, but I can imagine it would ultimately depend on a case by case basis.

So don’t assume everybody else is just guessing and imagining !
It has taken deals extended time to get signed off. That’s not about discussions, more that we are one of 72 clubs and the EFL are a small organisation. We are by far the only club they have to deal with so if there is stuff to sort out we may have to wait. It happens.
Just take the ‘few weeks’ as a loose term meaning ‘it doesn’t happen over night’ rather than a formal quote with any legally binding commitment.
And more great hedging - you don’t believe it takes weeks, but you imagine it could !!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2022 16:06

Or maybe if you have some in the know info say that and how you know it rather than just post what appears to speculation and then call out other people when they try and make some rational interpretations of what is available.

Because then the people who aren't in the know can decide whether you're actually in the know or just full of it rather than just be expected to bow to your superiority because you've spoken.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2022 16:48

Snowflake Royal Or maybe if you have some in the know info say that and how you know it rather than just post what appears to speculation and then call out other people when they try and make some rational interpretations of what is available.

Because then the people who aren't in the know can decide whether you're actually in the know or just full of it rather than just be expected to bow to your superiority because you've spoken.

Seems like you are in ‘let’s pick a fight mode’
CBA

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Jul 2022 19:59

Only because I was reading an article about players we could sign who are out of contract and because he knows Hutchinson would Saido Berahino be worth a punt? I probably would just for a year.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jul 2022 20:56

Err, no. Shit attitude and bar 1 season 8 years ago, his scoring record makes Puscas look like Erling Haaland.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 22 Jul 2022 21:25

blythspartan Only because I was reading an article about players we could sign who are out of contract and because he knows Hutchinson would Saido Berahino be worth a punt? I probably would just for a year.

Saw him play for Weds against Wycombe in May; he was totally anonymous and hooked early in the second half. Expect he’ll drift down towards non league eventually.

Jinx

by Jinx » 23 Jul 2022 15:02

Snowflake Royal Or maybe if you have some in the know info say that and how you know it rather than just post what appears to speculation and then call out other people when they try and make some rational interpretations of what is available.

Well, if I've ever seen a better representation of the "pot, kettle, black" principle in my life, I've forgotten it!! :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2022 16:58

Jinx

Well, if I've ever seen a better representation of the "pot, kettle, black" principle in my life, I've forgotten it!! :D

Don't expect anyone to just agree with me and accept anything I say. And on the very rare occasions I might have anything itk, I'm perfectly upfront about it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jul 2022 17:26

Only a complete idiot or a WUM would try and impose a ‘rule’ that posters must declare sources if they pass on any info
Really doesn’t work that way ….

There’s also a huge difference between a poster who fills their posts with. Words like think, imagine, guess and someone who just states something plainly.
I’m never going to say ‘I know this because X told me’ but if I say y happened it’s usually because I am confident it did.
It may be a good idea if Ian puts me on ignore rather than constantly picks fights….

706 posts