Freebies

706 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Freebies

by morganb » 27 Jun 2022 17:05

Simon's Church
morganb Of the players we've brought in so far - Lumley was know to Bowen from their days together at QPR, Tom Ince is the manager's son and Bouzanis is friends with Tom Ince.

Perhaps we've got a recommend-a-friend system in operation at the moment, which actually may work out to be quite a shrewd way of recruiting? I guess only time will tell.

We'll be bringing back Teddy Howe at this rate.

Funny you should say that... think he was on holiday with Holmes/McIntyre recently

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 27 Jun 2022 18:13

morganb Of the players we've brought in so far - Lumley was know to Bowen from their days together at QPR, Tom Ince is the manager's son and Bouzanis is friends with Tom Ince.

Perhaps we've got a recommend-a-friend system in operation at the moment, which actually may work out to be quite a shrewd way of recruiting? I guess only time will tell.

TBF Tom Ince got here first on his own merit,

Paul came in because we parted ways with our previous manager and, like many a team my young children have played for, sent out an email saying that one of the other parents had to take on the role of manager (I assume that's what happened).

However, car park assistant is on a rotational basis between the remaining parents. Tom Holmes mum is up for Cardiff with Scott Dann's dad stepping in to replace Andy Rinhomota's dad. Dean Bouzanis was signed after his dad promised to do a BBQ for the end of season awards.

(yes, I am bored)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2022 18:23

It does rather feel like we're currently a dying beast with a small select pack calling in their friends to suckle the last dregs from us before we become a corpse.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jun 2022 21:14

Suppose it's just using contacts within the game I suppose, something that has been going around for years on end now and will never go out of fashion.

Our pool of players is significantly shallower due to our restrictions, we may as well use whatever tools we can to bring in enough quality.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2022 07:37

YorkshireRoyal99

Suppose it's just using contacts within the game I suppose, something that has been going around for years on end now and will never go out of fashion.

Our pool of players is significantly shallower due to our restrictions, we may as well use whatever tools we can to bring in enough quality.

This really - we are under severe restrictions on what we can do and we need to somehow be competitive enough to finish 21st - we have a coaching staff who have been in the game for some time and/or know the lower leagues and which players we would realistically get and would be decent at this level (i.e. I hope we are one of the 2 Championship clubs after Nicky Cadden).

If the player is well know to the staff and/or a player, then we know he is likely a character that will fit in, so lower risk. It makes sense and if it also means that Kia isn't really involved anymore then that also has to be a bonus as, we, as a fanbase have been calling for that for months.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Jun 2022 07:53

I am still hopeful we’ll sign a couple of premiership youngsters on loan and bolster the midfield. The key to me is bringing these players in sooner rather than later. If we can get our business done before August that would be great. We don’t want last minute signings joining us just before the window closes who are not going to be fit for several weeks.

I remember watching the 2005/2006 team and at times it was like all the players were telepathic and everyone knew their role. To survive this season we need that togetherness and a team that will grind out results. Most of the football fraternity have written us off so I’d love them to all be eating their words come the end of the season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jun 2022 07:59

blythspartan I am still hopeful we’ll sign a couple of premiership youngsters on loan and bolster the midfield. The key to me is bringing these players in sooner rather than later. If we can get our business done before August that would be great. We don’t want last minute signings joining us just before the window closes who are not going to be fit for several weeks.

I remember watching the 2005/2006 team and at times it was like all the players were telepathic and everyone knew their role. To survive this season we need that togetherness and a team that will grind out results. Most of the football fraternity have written us off so I’d love them to all be eating their words come the end of the season.

I think this is the path to go down, could even pick up a couple of released youngsters who were ex academy players at the top Premier League sides.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2022 08:16

Yes, 2 or 3 good loans will transform the team. We need them to be properly good though, no more Lumleys or TDBs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2022 08:22

Hound Yes, 2 or 3 good loans will transform the team. We need them to be properly good though, no more Lumleys or TDBs

I have a feeling we'll be looking back and pining for TDB during this season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2022 08:44

Snowflake Royal
Hound Yes, 2 or 3 good loans will transform the team. We need them to be properly good though, no more Lumleys or TDBs

I wouldn't be against it personally as he was ok at this level, but obviously the other 3 loans we can have in our matchday squad will need to have sufficient quality for us to be able to do well.

In theory, could we not have say 7 loanees but only name 5 in our matchday squad? Or has the rule changed altogether so it's just strictly 5 loans per team now?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2022 08:52

Snowflake Royal

I’m expecting a bad season but not that bad

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 Jun 2022 10:12

Most of the rumoured players appear to be coming for the English leagues. Is this a conscious ploy, due to the people in charge of recruitment at present/less involvement from Kia, or has (dare I say it) Brexit had a impact on bringing in players from abroad?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2022 11:56

morganb Most of the rumoured players appear to be coming for the English leagues. Is this a conscious ploy, due to the people in charge of recruitment at present/less involvement from Kia, or has (dare I say it) Brexit had a impact on bringing in players from abroad?

The market we are moving in this summer makes it harder to take a punt on a player from outside the UK as they have to meet a minimum points level to get a permit, so we are more likely to sign players already in the UK this summer. So yes it'll be partially Brexit related.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jun 2022 14:45

Snowflake Royal

He perfectly played the role of the “invisible” midfielder last season so at least if we don’t make any signings in CM, it won’t change from last season. One of those players who may be OK but until he works on an identity to his game (first and foremost a defined position) he’ll offer very little

Been mentioned a fair amount but just don’t get the writing off of Lumley

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Jun 2022 15:56

I see Watford have released Joshua King. I know, we’d have no chance of signing him.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 28 Jun 2022 22:30

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

He perfectly played the role of the “invisible” midfielder last season so at least if we don’t make any signings in CM, it won’t change from last season. One of those players who may be OK but until he works on an identity to his game (first and foremost a defined position) he’ll offer very little

Same here, Played most of the season for a far better team than us, but apparently he's useless

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 28 Jun 2022 22:38

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Same here, Played most of the season for a far better team than us, but apparently he's useless

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 07:31

It's surely not hard to understand when boro fans are slating him and able to produce a video of substantial numbers of errors from one season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 08:51

Snowflake Royal It's surely not hard to understand when boro fans are slating him and able to produce a video of substantial numbers of errors from one season.

But yet you'd rather have Southwood who is subjectively worse than Lumley.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jun 2022 10:15

Not one you'd expect someone to make up -

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigBadWolfRF ... 9898031105

Convinced I just saw Grant Ward at the stadium. Could do with a player in his mould tbf

Grant Ward, midfielder, released by Blackpool

706 posts