Freebies

706 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Freebies

by morganb » 17 Jun 2022 07:56

Charlie Austin is in talks to sign for Brisbane Roar despite interest from both Reading and Cardiff.

[@SkySportsLyall] #readingfc https://t.co/m3m2Aj06aS

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Jun 2022 08:13

I wouldn’t have said no to Charlie Austin but I am hoping we can find a young hungry striker who wants to prove himself.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jun 2022 08:54

blythspartan I wouldn’t have said no to Charlie Austin but I am hoping we can find a young hungry striker who wants to prove himself.

Agreed - would have taken Austin and a younger striker but in all honesty, we're going to end up with whoever no-one else wants. We shouldn't sell either of Puscas or Joao unless/until we have other strikers in.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jun 2022 11:08

Snowflake Royal
Hound Joey Vdb was decent enough

Best of the lot by a mile, good shout. Probably describe him as 'mixed' though.

Solid first season, legs not up to the second, but a little unfairly maligned in how badly he was rated for it.

And Beerens actively good from FDTW, unfairly ruined by Stam ludicrously playing him as a striker early in the second season and then scapegoating him for unsurprisingly not being good at it.

Some of the criticism was really distasteful towards those two (especially considering their impact in the first season). What made it further ironic was we were calling for the likes of Popa, Evans and Ilori to play instead :|

Just another example of needing to pick on certain players to get through a season though. Sure we’ll find our ones for next season pretty quickly

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jun 2022 12:34

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Hound Joey Vdb was decent enough

Best of the lot by a mile, good shout. Probably describe him as 'mixed' though.

Solid first season, legs not up to the second, but a little unfairly maligned in how badly he was rated for it.

And Beerens actively good from FDTW, unfairly ruined by Stam ludicrously playing him as a striker early in the second season and then scapegoating him for unsurprisingly not being good at it.

Some of the criticism was really distasteful towards those two (especially considering their impact in the first season). What made it further ironic was we were calling for the likes of Popa, Evans and Ilori to play instead :|

Just another example of needing to pick on certain players to get through a season though. Sure we’ll find our ones for next season pretty quickly

Evans and Illori were ok. Popa was simply a case of mot having seen him be shit meaning he must be great.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Jun 2022 14:36

At least Evans was a free. At an alleged £3.75m, Ilori was no great ugrade on what we already had.

Whilst it's fair to say a lot of our signings were hung out to dry by a string of tactically gormless managers, one of the fundamental flaws of Gourleynomics was that if we're going to spend close to £4m on a player, they need to be significantly better than what we've already got.

When we bought Ilori, we already had McShane, Cooper, Moore and Blackett who could play CB (not counting Jules, Hyam, Andresson, Keown and Dickie who were all 18 or older, 2 of whom are making a more than decent career for themselves in the Championship, not to mention Cooper) and we then brought in Reece Oxford from West Ham.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jun 2022 20:40

Stranded
morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-paul-ince-middlesbrough-signing-24210864

It is understood Middlesbrough goalkeeper Joe Lumley is expected to sign for Royals later this week after nearly a month of talks between the two clubs. The 27-year-old will join Ince's side on a season-long loan deal and is expected to become Reading 's new no.1 for the upcoming 2022/23 Championship season.

Meanwhile, another player linked with Reading over the weekend, Jack Tucker, is not expected to sign for the club.
The 22-year-old Gillingham defender, who is set to become a free agent at the start of July, was a target for Royals but it is understood the two clubs* could not agree on a suitable financial package.

[* This is a JLow story and as such is wrong - should probably read Reading and the player's representative if JT is out of contract]

He is 22. Therefore we would have to pay Gillingham some form of compensation to sign him, as we would with all under 24 year olds.

I would imagine we have tried to negotiate that we would pay any compensation in July '23, or a very small amount up front if allowed.

It's another issue we have to contend with meaning we are realistically looking at loans and free agents over 24.
Tucker signs for MK (undisclosed)

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 18 Jun 2022 00:15

Hound
Stranded
morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-paul-ince-middlesbrough-signing-24210864

It is understood Middlesbrough goalkeeper Joe Lumley is expected to sign for Royals later this week after nearly a month of talks between the two clubs. The 27-year-old will join Ince's side on a season-long loan deal and is expected to become Reading 's new no.1 for the upcoming 2022/23 Championship season.

Meanwhile, another player linked with Reading over the weekend, Jack Tucker, is not expected to sign for the club.
The 22-year-old Gillingham defender, who is set to become a free agent at the start of July, was a target for Royals but it is understood the two clubs* could not agree on a suitable financial package.

[* This is a JLow story and as such is wrong - should probably read Reading and the player's representative if JT is out of contract]

He is 22. Therefore we would have to pay Gillingham some form of compensation to sign him, as we would with all under 24 year olds.

I would imagine we have tried to negotiate that we would pay any compensation in July '23, or a very small amount up front if allowed.

It's another issue we have to contend with meaning we are realistically looking at loans and free agents over 24.

It’s a bit frustrating but again shows where we are. Basically no cash signings at the moment - can’t imagine he’d be expensive bu any stretch

Not sure on Lumley but looks a done deal. Suppose at least we have someone in the door in good time

There was some stuff floating around that the fee wanted for Tucker was 400-500k.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Jun 2022 09:55

maffff
Hound
Stranded

It’s a bit frustrating but again shows where we are. Basically no cash signings at the moment - can’t imagine he’d be expensive bu any stretch

Not sure on Lumley but looks a done deal. Suppose at least we have someone in the door in good time

There was some stuff floating around that the fee wanted for Tucker was 400-500k.

Shame we missed out on him. The EFL should be more discretionary to us on paying fees like that for players with a potential resale value. Especially when we are expected to sell João

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Jun 2022 11:06

Stranded
blythspartan I wouldn’t have said no to Charlie Austin but I am hoping we can find a young hungry striker who wants to prove himself.

Agreed - would have taken Austin and a younger striker but in all honesty, we're going to end up with whoever no-one else wants. We shouldn't sell either of Puscas or Joao unless/until we have other strikers in.

Not sure selling them Is exclusively down to the club

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Jun 2022 11:13

Apologies, if this has already been asked on another thread but if we got £6m for Puscas and Joao would we be allowed to spend a proportion of it on another player? Or is it just a case it will go towards us staying within budget this season?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jun 2022 11:17

Royal_jimmy
maffff
Hound

Shame we missed out on him. The EFL should be more discretionary to us on paying fees like that for players with a potential resale value. Especially when we are expected to sell João

If we'd shifted Moore or sold Joao, Ejaria, Puscas or Meite I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem.

But we haven’t.

We've spent years promising the FL we'll sort ourselves out. They aren’t going to accept spending on the promise of money tomorrow.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Jun 2022 12:07

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
maffff

If we'd shifted Moore or sold Joao, Ejaria, Puscas or Meite I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem.

But we haven’t.

We've spent years promising the FL we'll sort ourselves out. They aren’t going to accept spending on the promise of money tomorrow.

Puscas had huge potential resale value.....

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Jun 2022 12:33

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

But we haven’t.

… to his previous club

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jun 2022 12:59

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

But we haven’t.

Tbf we were a goal away in another match in Italy of that resale

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jun 2022 13:28

There is still potential to sell the likes of Joao, Puscas, Meite, Ejaria and Moore, although the latter should have happened a few seasons ago when Brighton were interested and if there was any concrete interest in Meite last year for £5m, we probably should have looked to cash in as well.

We've never been one of those clubs who can keep hold of our best players when a better opportunity comes calling, particularly when we are outside of the Premier League these days as well, so that has to change if the club are going to be run successfully again. There is a big enough pool of players available, under normal circumstances, for us to be able to sell our better players on for £3-7m, roughly, and be able to pick up players either on a free, on loan or for a fee for £1m and under. That's where we, and other clubs, have garnered success before and that's what we need to get back to if we are going to be successful again.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Jun 2022 16:48

Not that he’d be free but I see Derby are looking to loan out Krystian Bielik next season. Given his injury record would he be worth a punt? Only 24 and a Polish international but a good solid defensive midfielder and can play CB.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jun 2022 18:32

blythspartan Not that he’d be free but I see Derby are looking to loan out Krystian Bielik next season. Given his injury record would he be worth a punt? Only 24 and a Polish international but a good solid defensive midfielder and can play CB.

Does the loan fee go to Arsenal?

He’d be a good signing but suspect he’ll aim higher than us

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Jun 2022 18:41

Hound
blythspartan Not that he’d be free but I see Derby are looking to loan out Krystian Bielik next season. Given his injury record would he be worth a punt? Only 24 and a Polish international but a good solid defensive midfielder and can play CB.

Does the loan fee go to Arsenal?

He’d be a good signing but suspect he’ll aim higher than us

Some Derby fans are saying that they should sale him rather than loan him out so I assume he’s a Derby player? With his injury record there might not be too many takers and given their predicament they may accept a nominal loan fee and he’s off their wage bill for a year.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2022 07:07

Alan Nixon claiming to know what we are probably already aware of. Sounds like we’re struggling to make signings which again is hardly a surprise. I still think it’s harsh that we can’t spend a small proportion of any transfer fees that we receive on new players. I assume the player we have received an offer for is Joao. Good news if there’s no point in selling him.

I heard Nixon speaking on R5L telling Derby fans that that takeover would go through that he’d personally seen proof of funds. We all know what happened with that one.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/conce ... erges/amp/

706 posts