Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Jeff Hendrick

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 13:59

Zip
Hound
Zip
Yep not great but hopefully do a job. We are incredibly limited in what we can do. I just hope we can get some decent younger players in on loan.

TBH a 30 year old international central mid who was a prem regular up until last year - it’s more than we should be hoping for really

He’d potentially be a very good signing. On reflection I’d certainly be happy to bring him in

On the surface it’s a good playing record. Just a bit concerned about the QPR comments.

It's 10 games, when he hadn't played all season joining a side that imploded after they stuffed us. I wouldn't put too much stock on such a small sample size. If he joins soon, he'll get some pre-season training and games under his belt which should make all the difference. IF he signs.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 14:20

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Regular is moving towards stretching it a little. Recent seasons 17(5), 22(2), 25(7), 29(5), 31(1)

Not exactly a bit part player, but also not completely a regular.

I take it those figures are just for his PL seasons?

If so, being involved in 32, 34 and 34 PL games (in those last 3 seasons) is what I'd call a regular player personally speaking.

I agree. 22 and 24, the most recent, are starting to get a little more tenuous though.

Sorry I thought the latter 3 were his most recent seasons, rather than the first 2. Yeah 22 and 24 is probably just about a regular player rather than a squad player personally speaking, but on the cusp that's for sure.

Either way, 146 involvements across 5 PL seasons is pretty good overall and would certainly be beneficial to our midfield where we need that.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Jul 2022 15:24

People piling on Drinkwater don't really understand football or have a peculiar and slightly shameful bias against him.

He had some stinkers (didn't they all?) but over the season was more effective than most.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 06 Jul 2022 15:24

He would have to take a massive reduction in pay to come here. Also he gets a bit of criticism from supporters of his national team for being careless in possession. At this level he might be OK but if he is looking like the weak link in a poor Irish team then he's not going to shake up any trees.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 15:39

Royal Rother People piling on Drinkwater don't really understand football or have a peculiar and slightly shameful bias against him.

He had some stinkers (didn't they all?) but over the season was more effective than most.

People defending him don't understand football or standards.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 15:39

Stranded
Zip
Hound
TBH a 30 year old international central mid who was a prem regular up until last year - it’s more than we should be hoping for really

He’d potentially be a very good signing. On reflection I’d certainly be happy to bring him in

On the surface it’s a good playing record. Just a bit concerned about the QPR comments.

It's 10 games, when he hadn't played all season joining a side that imploded after they stuffed us. I wouldn't put too much stock on such a small sample size. If he joins soon, he'll get some pre-season training and games under his belt which should make all the difference. IF he signs.

Yeah a lot of it depends on consistency and being match fit. I made the argument with Drinkwater above, he wasn't a liability as such when he was match fit and readily getting minutes and consistent game time, he was actually pretty decent all things considered. If the same can be applied with Hendrick, then he will be a good asset for us in the midfield I'm sure.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 15:41

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother People piling on Drinkwater don't really understand football or have a peculiar and slightly shameful bias against him.

I suppose between Pauno, Ince and now Bowen, they all understand nothing then.

But yet yourself and Nath do?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jul 2022 16:00

Snowflake Royal

Again, this is utter nonsense

No-one would dispute that the notion of him being on over £100k a week is obscene for what he delivers. No-one would dispute he had some stinkers here. No-one would dispute his application isn't always there and his decision making (both on/off the pitch) could be better

But taking the season into account, he started off as one of our better players, had a rough patch in the middle (as did everyone else) and ended the season as one of the better players. We were no better without him than we were with him (how bad Laurent and Rinomhota were at the start of the season)

With Moore unlikely to play next season, getting ready for next season's scapegoat already, Lumley and Ince frontrunners :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 16:03

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

Just pointing out how easy it is to make such a useless sweeping generalisation.

Anyone who disagrees is just stupid and inferior, right?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 16:13

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal People defending him don't understand football or standards.

Just pointing out how easy it is to make such a useless sweeping generalisation.

Thought it was just a direct reply to the original comment to be honest.

To be fair, I don't necessarily disagree with the bias against him statement in the OP as well as more effective than most (in some games at least anyway).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Jul 2022 16:47

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

No-one would dispute that the notion of him being on over £100k a week is obscene for what he delivers. No-one would dispute he had some stinkers here. No-one would dispute his application isn't always there and his decision making (both on/off the pitch) could be better

But taking the season into account, he started off as one of our better players, had a rough patch in the middle (as did everyone else) and ended the season as one of the better players. We were no better without him than we were with him (how bad Laurent and Rinomhota were at the start of the season)

With Moore unlikely to play next season, getting ready for next season's scapegoat already, Lumley and Ince frontrunners :roll:

Has Ejaria left us then?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jul 2022 17:09

Royal Rother
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal People defending him don't understand football or standards.

Has Ejaria left us then?

No

This year is going to be his year remember (as it was meant to be last season, and the season before, and the season before too)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 17:12

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

To be fair, I don't necessarily disagree with the bias against him statement in the OP as well as more effective than most (in some games at least anyway).

Yeah, we disagree but you don’t dismiss the arguments against because people who don’t agree with you aren’t worth considering. You engage in a discussion.

Drinkwater started last season sloppily, but had obvious quality. He could be forgiven for that having played little for some time.

The problem is, as OMA said, he should be bossing every game, all game, at this level. And yet he was the consistently the sloppiest and most error prone player in the side.

He had 5 to 10 good games around the time Ince came in, a former leading midfielder and hard man who played his position better than he ever had. And he upped his game, cutting back on the errors. But they never fully went away. And by the end of the season he was back to dropping inexcusable clangers.

We're talking about the same things, but with different view points. You disagree. Fine. But I wouldn’t accept he was one of our better performers. I'd say he was one of our worst with a brief good patch. A good patch his detractors, including me, acknowledged at the time.

I think Laurent had a poor season. But I think he was consistently better than Drinkwater. I think Rino had a mediocre season, but he made far fewer errors than Drinkwater. Swift pissed all over Drinkwater's season, and even in the latter half when he wasn’t very effective was still ok ish and made relatively few errors.

The issue here is, to be a good player in the heart of midfield, its more about minimising costly errors than having good moments. You can afford a lot of mistakes higher up the pitch if you have those few great moments a game. You can't be good in the heart if you regularly have multiple bad errors a game as Drinkwater had.

Now, we've done this before and you and I can quibble the detail, but you recognise the basis in fact that's there, just as I recognise your focus on the positive aspects of his game reflects reality as well.

Or we can have Rother say that anyone who doesn't rate Drinkwater doesn’t understand football and has a perverse aversion to him, because they don't share his view and so aren’t worth considering. Because he's superior.

Anyhoo, more than enough on Drinkwater. He's gone and not coming back. Good riddance.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Jul 2022 22:05

Snowflake Royal
Or we can have Rother say that anyone who doesn't rate Drinkwater doesn’t understand football and has a perverse aversion to him, because they don't share his view and so aren’t worth considering. Because he's superior.

It’s just quicker for everyone that way.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Jul 2022 23:24

Hound
Zip
South Coast Royal
For a struggling Championship side with no money this would IMHO represent a decent signing.

Yep not great but hopefully do a job. We are incredibly limited in what we can do. I just hope we can get some decent younger players in on loan.

I've never got the interest in "international experience" to be honest. I mean - it's Ireland, the pool of players isn't exactly huge.

If he's fit, he'd be decent enough, he's the kind of player that works hard, breaks stuff up and recycles the ball. Not much creativity though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 06:44

It’s 75 extra games experience and many of those would have been in pressured situations against good teams

Not so much who he has played for than against. You’d think it’d add up to make him a better player overall

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Jul 2022 09:00

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Just pointing out how easy it is to make such a useless sweeping generalisation.

We're talking about the same things, but with different view points. You disagree. Fine. But I wouldn’t accept he was one of our better performers. I'd say he was one of our worst with a brief good patch. A good patch his detractors, including me, acknowledged at the time.

I never said he was one of our better performers, I said his loan spell wasn't as bad as people make it out to be just because of his reputation.

I'm not really bothered where he's played before, he barely played any football for years and was previously on loan at a Turkish side I had never heard of, he shouldn't have been bossing any midfield at this level, when this was his level, which I think needs to be recognised.

We've made our points though, he was poor at times, probably not much so than most/any other player, made a lot of errors, yes, but that has to be taken into account that he was regularly the midfielder we were playing through, so he is going to make more errors, give the ball away more often etc. I cited the Barnsley game as a reference but, when Rino was injured, you can argue during that most crucial point of our season Drinkwater did Rino's role better than Rino would have done.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2022 09:27

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

I never said he was one of our better performers, I said his loan spell wasn't as bad as people make it out to be just because of his reputation.

I'm not really bothered where he's played before, he barely played any football for years and was previously on loan at a Turkish side I had never heard of, he shouldn't have been bossing any midfield at this level, when this was his level, which I think needs to be recognised.

We've made our points though, he was poor at times, probably not much so than most/any other player, made a lot of errors, yes, but that has to be taken into account that he was regularly the midfielder we were playing through, so he is going to make more errors, give the ball away more often etc. I cited the Barnsley game as a reference but, when Rino was injured, you can argue during that most crucial point of our season Drinkwater did Rino's role better than Rino would have done.

Apologies must have been someone else who said he was one of our better players.

I guess you could try to argue that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jul 2022 15:43

As Danny Drinkwater has been mentioned on this thread. It appears he is with the squad at SGP this week.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Jul 2022 15:55

Stranded As Danny Drinkwater has been mentioned on this thread. It appears he is with the squad at SGP this week.

This wouldn’t surprise me if only to get fit. DD divides opinion on here and I can’t even make up my own mind about whether I’d want him back. At times last season he turned back the clock but then sometimes he was atrocious and gave the ball away far too cheaply.