Jeff Hendrick

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Jeff Hendrick

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2022 11:22

YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he was poor.

He was playing 90 minutes during our best spell of the season under Ince, towards the end of the season. He was also getting in the team and playing 90 minutes (bar 70 mins at Fulham where he wasn't in the squad in the 2 previous) during a decent bit of early season form, where we won 4 games out of 5, but we did subsequently lose 3 on the bounce, but was still majorly involved during that spell.

So given he was generally pretty heavily involved during our best spells last season and was relied on in our midfield during crucial times of our season, that's not what I'd class as a bad loan spell.

He was pathetic, the supporters didn't turn on him because he played well and put a shift in did they? And don't give me the flannel about playing well under Ince either. He was horrendous before Ince joined and all he then did was play to a basic standard after Ince arrived. Not decent, not good just the bare minimum expected of a professional footballer.

It's funny you say that because if Rinomhota/Laurent put the performance in like Drinkwater did against Barnsley (he was the best player on the pitch) you'd have been creaming yourself.

His reputation earned him a lot of shit off supporters last season and he was poor at times, like most players were, but he wasn't our worst performer over the course of the season in my opinion.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. I would expect someone of Drinkwater's ability and reputation to come into a Championship side and take complete control of the midfield in more or less every game. I didn't expect goals or assists from him but I did expect leadership and effort. You mention the one game he played well in but what about the rest of them? Especially the ones before Ince arrived.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Jul 2022 11:25

On paper seems a good signing potentially, I'm willing to ignore the QPR spell, hardly played for Newcastle then was expected to hit the ground running at a QPR side that had already started to falter when arguably he might have already been lacking match fitness.

Before last season he had been a Premier League regular.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 11:28

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul He was pathetic, the supporters didn't turn on him because he played well and put a shift in did they? And don't give me the flannel about playing well under Ince either. He was horrendous before Ince joined and all he then did was play to a basic standard after Ince arrived. Not decent, not good just the bare minimum expected of a professional footballer.

It's funny you say that because if Rinomhota/Laurent put the performance in like Drinkwater did against Barnsley (he was the best player on the pitch) you'd have been creaming yourself.

His reputation earned him a lot of shit off supporters last season and he was poor at times, like most players were, but he wasn't our worst performer over the course of the season in my opinion.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. I would expect someone of Drinkwater's ability and reputation to come into a Championship side and take complete control of the midfield in more or less every game. I didn't expect goals or assists from him but I did expect leadership and effort. You mention the one game he played well in but what about the rest of them? Especially the ones before Ince arrived.

I mentioned one game as the easiest example that came to my head and I did say he was poor like the rest of the team throughout sections of last season as well.

Looking back at my original post, I said it wasn't a bad loan spell on the whole, which I don't think it was. Poor at times, good at other times and, as I mentioned, during our best parts of the season. Two different managers have played him regularly, for full games, when he's been fit and available. Question their competence all you want, that's just fact. He was obviously seen as an important player and did perform to a much better standard from the Peterborough game onwards. Again though, it's just a matter of opinion.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 06 Jul 2022 11:29

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2022 11:30

Simon's Church

Oh come on, as much as I disliked Drinkwater comparing him to David Meyler is just plain cruel.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 06 Jul 2022 11:46

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2022 11:48

Not sure I have ever been more offended.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2022 11:51

Can’t believe Hendrick is only 30, seems to have been around forever

Obvs been a very solid player in his time. If he still has the hunger and fitness then potentially a good signing

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Jul 2022 12:08

The good news is I can’t see any other championship sides wanting him so that gives us a fighting chance of signing him. Of course we could get gazumped by Accrington Stanley.

In all seriousness, he’s only 30 and if we can get him fit and playing well he could be a decent signing. Luton have proved that you can get a tune out of some of the players overlooked by other teams.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Jul 2022 12:15

I'm wondering. Is he basically a non-plural version of Hendrix? I don't even know what that means.

This is hurting my head, so for that reason alone it's a no from me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jul 2022 12:23

Simon's Church Some QPR fans opinions of him :
and the laughably bad performances from Jeff Hendrick, meant Amos was the only midfielder we had at the club with the legs

while Sanderson and Jeff Hendrick continued to waltz into the team regardless of performance

If you think Jeff Hendrick was in any way half decent for QPR last season, that his signing was in any way necessary or made any kind of sense, that I’ve been in any way harsh or scapegoated him over the past few months by repeatedly pointing at him and asking ‘what the oxf*rd is he doing here?’, then this is probably a section to skip over.

But maybe he'd be better for us.

Ok while it was the end of last season it was only 10 games on loan there, many of which were as a sub. Perhaps getting him into Reading for some part of preseason will help.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 12:29

South Coast Royal
NathStPaul
South Coast Royal Wouldn't mind this one.
Plenty of experience for clubs and country and could be this season's Drinkwater.

Not sure this is very appealing tbh.

For a struggling Championship side with no money this would IMHO represent a decent signing.

Yep not great but hopefully do a job. We are incredibly limited in what we can do. I just hope we can get some decent younger players in on loan.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jul 2022 12:35

As long as he addresses the Reading keeper as “Hey Joe” during games I’ll say yes to this one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2022 12:39

Zip
South Coast Royal
NathStPaul Not sure this is very appealing tbh.

For a struggling Championship side with no money this would IMHO represent a decent signing.

Yep not great but hopefully do a job. We are incredibly limited in what we can do. I just hope we can get some decent younger players in on loan.

TBH a 30 year old international central mid who was a prem regular up until last year - it’s more than we should be hoping for really

He’d potentially be a very good signing. On reflection I’d certainly be happy to bring him in

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 12:58

Hound
Zip
South Coast Royal

TBH a 30 year old international central mid who was a prem regular up until last year - it’s more than we should be hoping for really

He’d potentially be a very good signing. On reflection I’d certainly be happy to bring him in

Regular is moving towards stretching it a little. Recent seasons 17(5), 22(2), 25(7), 29(5), 31(1)

Not exactly a bit part player, but also not completely a regular.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2022 13:51

I’m assuming T.Ince is mates with him from the Derby days. Get Simon’s C all excited again

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 13:52

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Zip

Regular is moving towards stretching it a little. Recent seasons 17(5), 22(2), 25(7), 29(5), 31(1)

I take it those figures are just for his PL seasons?

If so, being involved in 32, 34 and 34 PL games (in those last 3 seasons) is what I'd call a regular player personally speaking.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jul 2022 13:55

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul YR defending Drinkwater. I am shocked to the core. :roll:

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he was poor.

He was playing 90 minutes during our best spell of the season under Ince, towards the end of the season. He was also getting in the team and playing 90 minutes (bar 70 mins at Fulham where he wasn't in the squad in the 2 previous) during a decent bit of early season form, where we won 4 games out of 5, but we did subsequently lose 3 on the bounce, but was still majorly involved during that spell.

So given he was generally pretty heavily involved during our best spells last season and was relied on in our midfield during crucial times of our season, that's not what I'd class as a bad loan spell.

He was pathetic, the supporters didn't turn on him because he played well and put a shift in did they? And don't give me the flannel about playing well under Ince either. He was horrendous before Ince joined and all he then did was play to a basic standard after Ince arrived. Not decent, not good just the bare minimum expected of a professional footballer.

Sorry - that’s nonsense

Don’t agree with the “he was horrendous before Ince joined” although I guess I could understand that but to say he wasn’t decent in the last couple of months? Come on

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 13:55

Hound
Zip
South Coast Royal

On the surface it’s a good playing record. Just a bit concerned about the QPR comments.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 13:56

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Hound

I take it those figures are just for his PL seasons?

If so, being involved in 32, 34 and 34 PL games (in those last 3 seasons) is what I'd call a regular player personally speaking.

I agree. 22 and 24, the most recent, are starting to get a little more tenuous though.