Rumour - Victor Adeboyejo

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Rumour - Victor Adeboyejo

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2022 08:15

No, me neither

Apparently we are in talks to sign him.

Nigerian striker who only started 16 games for Barnsley in the Championship. Can only assume he is seen as a very cheap back up for Joao and if there is still any chance of Long signing, would suggest we are not going to sign Wickham.

Over his career involved in a goal every 4 games. During his Barnsley career that is more like 1 in 3 - 9 G, 3 A in 3407 minutes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Victor Adeboyejo

by Hound » 11 Jul 2022 09:20

Recognise the name but don’t know a lot about him

Seems to be fairly two footed, powerful but not especially tall (so not really Joao style)

Prob a better bet than Wickham.

Would be ok as squad filler I think. Reasonable experience and seems to have a bit about him

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jul 2022 09:21

Doesn't inspire me at all, but never really one to write players off completely before they begin, as players might be able to perform to different capabilities depending on the players and the system they are in, so it could work out if we can get him in the right system, just look at Joao as an example.

Would be a low risk squad option with undoubtedly low expectations.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2022 09:28

Hound Recognise the name but don’t know a lot about him

Seems to be fairly two footed, powerful but not especially tall (so not really Joao style)

Prob a better bet than Wickham.

Would be ok as squad filler I think. Reasonable experience and seems to have a bit about him

Quick look around and seems he has played all across the front line - striker, #10 and on the left and right. So probably a decent bench option to cover all those spots.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2022 09:29

Sounds a reasonable bench option. Esp if and when Puscas goes - prob a cheap replacement

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Jul 2022 09:38

17 goals in 140 games most of which have been non-league? IN :!:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2022 09:43

Brogue 17 goals in 140 games? IN :!:

I thought people had moved away from just looking at games and goals after all those high level stats will just add one to his games tally regrdless of if he played 90 minutes or 90 seconds.

Record is better shown as 12 goals in 5926 minutes or one goal every 493 mins. 1 in 5. Still not great but as mentioned whilst at Barnsley he has either scored or assisted a goal every 283 mins, which is not bad for a back up player.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2022 09:48

Plus relatively young still

Barnsley did offer him a new contract, has refused it

Not going to win us the league but that’s not where we are anyway

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2022 10:40

Hound Plus relatively young still

Barnsley fans seem relieved he didn’t re-sign and are amused he is joining us :?
They also seem to have nailed down Cadden.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jul 2022 10:56

Zip

Barnsley fans seem relieved he didn’t re-sign and are amused he is joining us :?

A Sheff Wednesday fan said we were daft to pay £5m for Joao as well, he's been caught with egg on his face.

I'd always try and reserve judgement with players until they have joined so we can see how they perform in our system.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2022 11:07

Stranded

I thought people had moved away from just looking at games and goals after all those high level stats will just add one to his games tally regrdless of if he played 90 minutes or 90 seconds.

Record is better shown as 12 goals in 5926 minutes or one goal every 493 mins. 1 in 5. Still not great but as mentioned whilst at Barnsley he has either scored or assisted a goal every 283 mins, which is not bad for a back up player.

No the baseline stats are still very useful, because you can make a bit part loser look like a 20 a season man based on goals per minutes from the odd start and a few sub appearances.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2022 11:14

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

No the baseline stats are still very useful, because you can make a bit part loser look like a 20 a season man based on goals per minutes from the odd start and a few sub appearances.

You can but it's unlikely. The baseline will always give the worst possible picture though.

Truth is likely somewhere in between - probably helps to look at how he does as a starter v how he does off the bench i.e. does he fail to score in starts but has a habit of nicking a goal/assist from a 20 min cameo against tiring legs.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2022 11:17

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

A Sheff Wednesday fan said we were daft to pay £5m for Joao as well, he's been caught with egg on his face.

I'd always try and reserve judgement with players until they have joined so we can see how they perform in our system.

Fair enough. I can only go on his record for now which is underwhelming. I would rather we gave Clarke a chance as back up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2022 12:13

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

Fair enough. I can only go on his record for now which is underwhelming. I would rather we gave Clarke a chance as back up.

Need more than Clarke though. With Joaos injury record, need to find another striker with experience in there. If Puscas is off that is

Not that I wouldn’t be minded to bring on Clarke in games above Puscas or whoever but can’t expect a season of Joao first choice with Clarke backing up

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Jul 2022 12:19

Limited knowledge but has some good experience and does score the odd goal.
If its a replacement of Puscas, all depends on what ratio wages available etc thats been covered on other threads, i hope that we could do better than this.
If its between Wickham and this guy then I would probably go for which ever one is cheaper - squad option, cup game starter.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2022 12:22

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

The feedback on Joao was that had great spells but kept getting injured and would blow hot and cold in and out of the team.

Most Wednesday fans recognised there was a quality player in there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2022 12:23

Hound
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99

Need more than Clarke though. With Joaos injury record, need to find another striker with experience in there. If Puscas is off that is

Not that I wouldn’t be minded to bring on Clarke in games above Puscas or whoever but can’t expect a season of Joao first choice with Clarke backing up

We always have Yaks as a back up centre forward with Clarke then third in line. I suspect Yaks will only being the bench this season unless Ince gets injured.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2022 12:24

Hound
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99

We've got Meite and Azeez too. Plus Melvin-Lambert.

Some genuine experience and quality would be very handy, but we do have a range of options.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2022 12:28

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Zip

Some genuine experience and quality would be very handy, but we do have a range of options.

We even had Hoilett upfront last season. No problem with signing another forward if Puscas is going but let’s bring someone in that’s better than the other options we are mentioning here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2022 12:30

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Hound

We even had Hoilett upfront last season. No problem with signing another forward if Puscas is going but let’s bring someone in that’s better than the other options we are mentioning here.

Yeah, and only once Puscas actually goes.