Joao to West Brom nonsense.

194 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Joao to West Brom nonsense.

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 Aug 2022 08:12

Stranded
Royal_jimmy A performance of a man on his way out? I hope not! He's our best chance of staying up

More that of a man not quite fully fit in a game where we were second best all over the park but we'll see what happens over the next 40 hours or so.

He should be fit enough for at least 60 mins by now. Maybe not match sharp. but as i have said several times, his style of play is not suited to a high intensity game. So he sticks out like a sore thumb.
Too late in the window for this to be a thing now.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 01 Sep 2022 11:07

JLow reports-

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-24898912

Lucas Joao exit?
Reports in Turkey suggest Fenerbahce would like to sign Reading striker Lucas Joao.

They say manager Jorge Jesus has asked the board to make a move for the former Sheff Weds and Blackburn forward.

The 28-year-old is out of contract next summer but the chances of Royals letting him depart today are very slim.

The report says Fener are expected to make 'an official offer' to Reading today.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2022 12:26

morganb JLow reports-

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-24898912

Lucas Joao exit?
Reports in Turkey suggest Fenerbahce would like to sign Reading striker Lucas Joao.

They say manager Jorge Jesus has asked the board to make a move for the former Sheff Weds and Blackburn forward.

The 28-year-old is out of contract next summer but the chances of Royals letting him depart today are very slim.

The report says Fener are expected to make 'an official offer' to Reading today.

P/ex for Serdar Dersun plus £8m should do it.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Sep 2022 12:34

I hope he stays but it was a much bigger loss when we lost Ollie Kearns.

traff

by traff » 01 Sep 2022 12:39

blythspartan I hope he stays but it was a much bigger loss when we lost Ollie Kearns.

:lol: "He shot, he missed, he mustbe..................

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2022 17:25

Sadly, with Dim, Mick and Adi all sharpening their knives for several games already, he may be better off leaving.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2022 17:41

I think it was actually Karacan who said 2 minutes after Joao went off and Long came on that Ince should sit Joao down and show him the video of the contrast between the 2 because after those 2 minutes Long had put more effort in than Joao had in the entire game.

I am just pleased that everyone else is starting to wake up.

Well, not everyone of course, but Reading legends like Mr Gooding, Mr Williams and Mr Karacan, who must have played 1500+ games in the professional game, and never failed to put in 100% for the team.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Sep 2022 17:45

Royal Rother I think it was actually Karacan who said 2 minutes after Joao went off and Long came on that Ince should sit Joao down and show him the video of the contrast between the 2 because after those 2 minutes Long had put more effort in than Joao had in the entire game.

Well, not everyone of course, but Reading legends like Mr Gooding, Mr Williams and Mr Karacan, who must have played 1500+ games in the professional game, and never failed to put in 100% for the team.

How stupid would it be to show him 2 minutes of Shane Running around !
Joao would (rightly) put on a video of the goals he has scored since he joined and asked Ince why Shane can’t do that….

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Sep 2022 18:09

Joao just isn’t the sort of striker Reading fans or the Reading pundits like to see. We want our strikers to work hard for the team defending from the front like a Kitson or be willing runners like Doyle and Long.

We can love the odd goal hanger like Cureton or ALF but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Joao will never fit in here, and it's not really his fault. He could go to another club, whose fans don't mind his style of play, and be popular amongst the fanbase. However, our fans see his body language and his unwillingness to engage in battle with defenders and we just don't take to him.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 01 Sep 2022 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2022 18:25

Nameless
Royal Rother I think it was actually Karacan who said 2 minutes after Joao went off and Long came on that Ince should sit Joao down and show him the video of the contrast between the 2 because after those 2 minutes Long had put more effort in than Joao had in the entire game.

Joao would (rightly) put on a video of the goals he has scored since he joined and asked Ince why Shane can’t do that….

And Ince would (rightly) say in response "Look pal, it ain't all about you having glory moments when things fall into place for you - there's no place in professional football for shirkers and arm wavers - and you are both. And you seriously want to call into question Shane Long's attributes, a guy whose played best part of a decade in the Premier League and for his country, and has never failed to give 100%? Get the hell outta here before I shove your video up your arse."

Do you SERIOUSLY not understand how demoralising and debilitating it is having someone on your team who is not prepared to put the same amount of effort in as everyone else and then appears to blame everyone else when things don't go his way?

Jeez. :|

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2022 18:26

Royal Rother
Nameless

And Ince would (rightly) say in response "Look pal, it ain't all about you having glory moments when things fall into place for you - there's no place in professional football for shirkers and arm wavers - and you are both. And you seriously want to call into question Shane Long's attributes, a guy whose played best part of a decade in the Premier League and for his country, and has never failed to give 100%? Get the hell outta here before I shove your video up your arse."

Do you SERIOUSLY not understand how demoralising and debilitating it is having someone on your team who is not prepared to put the same amount of effort in as everyone else and then appears to blame everyone else when things don't go their way?

Of course if he scored 1 or more every game no-one would care.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2022 18:45

It's not at all demoralising and the players clearly like him.

This is all coming from one semi-fit sub appearance where people seem to expect a guy whose talent isn't running to simultaneously close down three defenders when there's no other Reading player within 30 yards of him.

And now any time he doesn't sprint 30 yards to challenge he gets slated.

That exact moment Jem said that was after Long lost the ball and chased the player he lost it to into the corner. Compared to the moment when Joao lost the ball and it immediately went 10 yards to a different player who started moving towards the centre circle. Expecting him to chase that was pointless.

He did great defensive work the game before (won the ball at LB and in our box) and still he's slated for not putting in the effort that game. It's ridiculous.

No one cared about ALF or Curo chasing 20 yards did they.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2022 18:48

As for warching videos, I imagine Joao's immediate response would be to queue up Long's miss and say, 'I'd have buried that gaffer'. And he'd be right.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Sep 2022 18:53

Snowflake Royal As for warching videos, I imagine Joao's immediate response would be to queue up Long's miss and say, 'I'd have buried that gaffer'. And he'd be right.

Would've bet a large, large sum of money that Joao scores Long's chance v Millwall last weekend.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Sep 2022 19:19

Karacan would say that as a player who ran around like a headless chicken fouling someone every 5 mins

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2022 19:30

You appreciate that Joao has a massively superior goal scoring record for us compared to Long?
Long has scored 45 goals for us from around 180 games. Joao has scored 36 from around 86 games.

Hard work will take you so far. Joao has an outstanding scoring record for us. He is a striker doing what's he paid to do

Jinx

by Jinx » 01 Sep 2022 19:47

Royal Rother
Nameless

Do you SERIOUSLY not understand how demoralising and debilitating it is having someone on your team who is not prepared to put the same amount of effort in as everyone else and then appears to blame everyone else when things don't go his way?

Jeez indeed! Your one-man bandwagon is bloody tiresome

If you can find one single instance of a player confirming your rabid hatred I will be amazed, rather than just keep projecting your own (ridiculous) opinion onto other people

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Sep 2022 21:13

Orion1871 Joao just isn’t the sort of striker Reading fans or the Reading pundits like to see. We want our strikers to work hard for the team defending from the front like a Kitson or be willing runners like Doyle and Long.

We can love the odd goal hanger like Cureton or ALF but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Joao will never fit in here, and it's not really his fault. He could go to another club, whose fans don't mind his style of play, and be popular amongst the fanbase. However, our fans see his body language and his unwillingness to engage in battle with defenders and we just don't take to him.

Didn't fit in at Wednesday either or anywhere else he has been, basically we have to play with ten men until we are able to get the ball to him near the 18 yard area.
We are not good enough to play with 10 hoping he will score.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Sep 2022 21:14

Royal Rother
Nameless

^ this

Jinx

by Jinx » 01 Sep 2022 21:23

72 bus
Orion1871 Joao just isn’t the sort of striker Reading fans or the Reading pundits like to see. We want our strikers to work hard for the team defending from the front like a Kitson or be willing runners like Doyle and Long.

Didn't fit in at Wednesday either or anywhere else he has been, basically we have to play with ten men until we are able to get the ball to him near the 18 yard area.
We are not good enough to play with 10 hoping he will score.

Any evidence to support this?

194 posts