Who is the mystery striker?

124 posts
KDRF

Re: Who is the mystery striker?

by KDRF » 06 Sep 2022 13:22

Not keen on Walcott, isn't an out and out striker and is in a position we have a lot of players and would warrant a large wage. Would much prefer to give Joao a contract extension, seen as we will lose him for free at the end of this season. Its about time the club did some forward planning with contracts now we are getting our head above water financially.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Sep 2022 13:28

KDRF Not keen on Walcott, isn't an out and out striker and is in a position we have a lot of players and would warrant a large wage. Would much prefer to give Joao a contract extension, seen as we will lose him for free at the end of this season. Its about time the club did some forward planning with contracts now we are getting our head above water financially.

If, as is being reported, the only reason it didn't happen was Soton not ripping up his deal then he would clearly have been happy to come in on a wage we are currently allowed to pay.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2022 14:08

John Smith
Stranded
Sutekh
Wonder if the club might try again in January, particularly if some agreement or loan deal has been worked out for Liam.

If we haven't signed another striker in the meantime, then we may well look to see if we can help persuade Soton to cancel his deal. 18 month contract to end his career at the club closest to where he grew up could be a nice fit for both.

I'd be very happy with Walcott to be honest. Sure he still has the legs to compete and always had a decent finish in him. Would work very well as an impact man. Hopefully something can still be sorted.

Issue will be Southampton as they will have to agree to carry on paying (most of) his wage while he plays for another club.

Personally don’t see the point in keeping a player who isn’t going to get much game time other than an odd sub appearance here and there when you could be saving at least some money by allowing them out on loan but each club to their own.

Hopefully Reading will revisit the situation in January and the saints will be more open to a loan deal. Of course another club may come in then and offer money :shock: to ruin any chance of such a deal.

In the meantime Andy Carroll is still available….

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Sep 2022 14:13

Do we feel Ince is still looking at free agents strikers (or any other positions) or is our business done for now?

As we've got 5 loans in I guess we won't be taking any more in January unless we are going to terminate one of our existing loans (due to form/injury/recall).

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Sep 2022 14:41

Sutekh
John Smith
Stranded
If we haven't signed another striker in the meantime, then we may well look to see if we can help persuade Soton to cancel his deal. 18 month contract to end his career at the club closest to where he grew up could be a nice fit for both.

I'd be very happy with Walcott to be honest. Sure he still has the legs to compete and always had a decent finish in him. Would work very well as an impact man. Hopefully something can still be sorted.

Issue will be Southampton as they will have to agree to carry on paying (most of) his wage while he plays for another club.

Personally don’t see the point in keeping a player who isn’t going to get much game time other than an odd sub appearance here and there when you could be saving at least some money by allowing them out on loan but each club to their own.

Hopefully Reading will revisit the situation in January and the saints will be more open to a loan deal. Of course another club may come in then and offer money :shock: to ruin any chance of such a deal.

They might not have been willing to terminate his contract and pay nearly a full years worth of his wages. Come January time, they might be more willing to discuss a deal with ourselves as they might be more open to paying off 6 months worth of a deal, particularly if the player is keen on the move.

If we can move on Moore in January as well, that might free up some more space for us to maybe go and spend a bit of cash depending on our financial situation, granted I still think that's pretty unlikely.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Sep 2022 14:58

Sutekh
John Smith
Stranded

The issue was that Soton would only let him leave on loan, which we didn't want as no point having 6 loanees. We, and I guess Walcott, were working on a mutual termination but they weren't interested. I doubt we'll go back in for him in Jan as a loan but they may be more open to the contract cancellation.

In the meantime, if Wolves don't win their appeal to get Diego Costa a permit, they are linked with a deal for Carroll.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Sep 2022 15:54

paultheroyal Theo Walcott is another name to throw in - local lad - family from Thatcham i think - literally no game time now - but £85k a week wages an issue unless Saints sub it all.

8) - so close with this one.... will keep trying with the snippets.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Sep 2022 13:28

I understand Reading are close to ending the 'surprising' striker saga as Andy Carroll is set to return. I believe the former Royal is due into training tomorrow and could begin to feature after the international break.

https://twitter.com/james_e1871/status/ ... Sy10g&s=19

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Sep 2022 13:54

morganb I understand Reading are close to ending the 'surprising' striker saga as Andy Carroll is set to return. I believe the former Royal is due into training tomorrow and could begin to feature after the international break.

https://twitter.com/james_e1871/status/ ... Sy10g&s=19

Yay

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Sep 2022 14:13

Would be happy with Carroll returning. Fits the Ince brief of being a big, physical bastard and we know from last year that he will work his nuts off and has that bit of quality.

Showed last season that his attitude is first class as well.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Sep 2022 15:20

I'd be delighted to get him back in. Reckon he's got at least 5 goals in him Iver a season and he'll be a fantastic option for some of the beefier teams.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Sep 2022 15:38

We just need to win lots of free kicks and corners. Will be incredibly difficult to defend with the height and aerial ability we have

Liked big Andy a lot last year. Definitely fits the brief, another one for the fans to get behind as well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2022 15:51

Carroll spent last season at 2 disfunctional clubs. We seem to be getting the house in order, so quite excited to see him play in a side with a plan.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Sep 2022 15:52

Hound We just need to win lots of free kicks and corners. Will be incredibly difficult to defend with the height and aerial ability we have

Liked big Andy a lot last year. Definitely fits the brief, another one for the fans to get behind as well

Height? Other than Sarr and Dann we have very short CBs (comparatively) and one of them is never going to play.

Does Loum go in the box for corners?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Sep 2022 16:47

I’d be very happy to see Andy Carroll return. I loved his enthusiasm and determination last time around and he’s another strong character in the dressing room. Ehib and Clarke could learn a lot from him too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Sep 2022 16:53

NewCorkSeth
Hound We just need to win lots of free kicks and corners. Will be incredibly difficult to defend with the height and aerial ability we have

Height? Other than Sarr and Dann we have very short CBs (comparatively) and one of them is never going to play.

Holmes? He must be 6ft2 at least. McIntyre is very good in the air.

Then you have Loum, Meite, Joao, Carroll to deal with potentially along with Sarr

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Sep 2022 17:53

Hound
NewCorkSeth

Holmes? He must be 6ft2 at least. McIntyre is very good in the air.

Then you have Loum, Meite, Joao, Carroll to deal with potentially along with Sarr

I had thought that Holmes and McIntyre were both 6ft1, which isn't particularly tall for a CB is it? It's at the very least not above average for the division surely?

I think both are decent in the air tbf but have shown weaknesses in defending corners (they're still young so I'm not going to gripe about it. It happens)

I agree we have some great aerial ability already and Carroll would supplement that wonderfully.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 11 Sep 2022 18:36

It's a good bit of work from the club. He'll add something different to the team and is going to worry teams when coming off the bench. Welcome back.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Sep 2022 20:05

Great news?….came across as a great guy too

The ‘connect’ would gather momentum even further.

Urzz

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Sep 2022 21:24

124 posts