Ince to Cardiff

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Ince to Cardiff

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2022 10:50

Excuse me if this is buried somewhere else. There's chat about PAUL Ince being shortlisted for Cardiff.

Source: Chronicle

No way he'll go I reckon, but interesting anyway. Possibly my first ever rumour post. :D

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ince to Cardiff

by Nameless » 22 Sep 2022 11:02

What does ‘being shortlisted’ mean ?

It means zero unless Ince is interested.

While it’s hard to see why he might leave it would also be good if he publically came out and asked Cardiff to not put him on ‘lists’ without his permission.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 22 Sep 2022 11:13

I've just got off the phone to Paul, and when he composed himself and stopped laughing, he said he had no aspirations to manage in the third division.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Sep 2022 11:51

PATRIQT I've just got off the phone to Paul, and when he composed himself and stopped laughing, he said he had no aspirations to manage in the third division.

Less than a year ago he had no aspirations to manage

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2022 12:01

Franchise FC
PATRIQT I've just got off the phone to Paul, and when he composed himself and stopped laughing, he said he had no aspirations to manage in the third division.

Luckily he’s found a club that let’s him keep to that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Sep 2022 12:12

Sutekh
Franchise FC

Luckily he’s found a club that let’s him keep to that.

As we stand at the moment, long may he avoid managing

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Sep 2022 12:23

What I don't get is why Cardiff fans are scoffing at the idea of Ince, it seems very much the reaction a lot of our fans were having when we appointed him but that was on the back of a long absence from the game as a manager, now they're looking at a manager who has overseen a club with a low wage budget, no money to spend and a huge player upheaval and taken them to 3rd after 10 games and they're saying, nah, no thanks mate.

I get he has a reputation for being a bit eccentric and full of himself but his record isn't that bad so not sure where the negativity comes from.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Sep 2022 12:46

Millsy Excuse me if this is buried somewhere else. There's chat about PAUL Ince being shortlisted for Cardiff.

There is a bit of discussion about this on the Rivals Watch thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135488&start=14280#p5301443

Just because the Cardiff sacking/Pauno being considered for the job was on there. Like you say it is a bit buried away and probably deserves its own thread seeing as the rumours haven't gone away.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2022 12:51

tidus_mi2 What I don't get is why Cardiff fans are scoffing at the idea of Ince, it seems very much the reaction a lot of our fans were having when we appointed him but that was on the back of a long absence from the game as a manager, now they're looking at a manager who has overseen a club with a low wage budget, no money to spend and a huge player upheaval and taken them to 3rd after 10 games and they're saying, nah, no thanks mate.

I get he has a reputation for being a bit eccentric and full of himself but his record isn't that bad so not sure where the negativity comes from.

His reputation was shot to pieces due to the job at Blackburn and to a lesser extent Blackpool, even though his overall record is good.

The whole story has been Paul Ince is rubbish and even though we are doing well the narrative in media that follow our level is still, oh aren't Reading doing well bugt yeah Ince is rubbish so they'll tail off soon.

If I were in their shows I would also be a little unsure about the club supposedly looking at him as a manager essentially based on what could be a purple patch given the lack of any real recent performance history to go on.

As someone said on Twitter, this is a rumour that neither set of fans wants to be true.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2022 13:12

I never quite got why he was so written off. Blackburn didn’t work out but he always seemed to do ok otherwise

Actually got a few inklings but prob not for this chat here

Think we suit him at the moment. Fans like the relative lack of BS in his interviews and playing style, he’s got the ‘backs to the wall’ type situation he seems to like and thrive in and has his son playing his best football for half a decade in the side

So can’t see him going anywhere too soon really

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Sep 2022 13:16

Hound I never quite got why he was so written off. Blackburn didn’t work out but he always seemed to do ok otherwise

Think we suit him at the moment. Fans like the relative lack of BS in his interviews and playing style, he’s got the ‘backs to the wall’ type situation he seems to like and thrive in and has his son playing his best football for half a decade in the side

Always a sign of a good manager is that they surround themselves with good people.
Whoever has assembled our current backroom staff has given the manager a decent chance of doing well. If Ince is responsible for the appouintments then fair play to him, if someone else has done the recruiting then they obviously feel Ince is part of the team we need.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2022 13:26

Yeah agreed. I credit the whole back room staff - Bowen, Eddie N, Rae and that new coach who I can’t remember the name of as much as I do Ince really. It’s a solid experienced unit, whilst still be young enough to be relevant and in touch with the modern game

So much of a contrast to Pauno’s era - think he was a poor manager but don’t think he had a lot of help

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Sep 2022 13:49

I posted elsewhere but can't see it happening. Seems like a short-term financial gain going to Cardiff anyway and our squad isn't too dissimilar really in terms of quality either. We are performing well and he's very much liked here so don't see why he'd move. If we can sustain our form over the course of the season (unlikely) then he'd definitely be in with a shout of a better job, which Cardiff probably isn't all things considered.

Or a sustained period (2-3 seasons) of good, solid foundations with ourselves would also help re-establish his reputation in the game to the wider community I'd think.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2022 16:19

Personally think Ince had a decent managerial record before he came to Reading.

He started at Macclesfield as player manager in October 2006, at the time Macclesfield were 7 points adrift at the foot of what is now league 2 (so 92nd out of 92 league clubs). After a slow start he guided them to safety on the last Saturday of the season so I’d say that’s a pretty good start to any managerial career bearing in mind the lack of money and resource Macclesfield would have had.

The following summer (2007) MK Dons persuaded him to join them and in 2007-08 he guided the Dons to the Tonka Toy Van League Trophy (or whatever it was called then) final when they beat Grimsby 2-0. A month or so later he guided them to promotion to “Division 3” as champions.

Following the success at MK Dons it was fairly inevitable someone fairly high up the pyramid would come a-courting and thusly Mr Ince found himself at Premier League Blackburn Rovers in the summer of 2008. Things sadly didn’t really go well and although he steered Blackburn to a good start to the season a run of 11 games without a win saw him sacked.

He then had indifferent seasons as manager back at MK Dons and then Notts County before rocking up at Blackpool in February 2013. He then oversaw the best start to a league season in Blackpool’s history before they hit a run of 9 defeats from 10 games which resulted in his sacking in January 2014.

So there would certainly seem to be some talent as a manager in Mr Ince and in my book he’s certainly a much better option as a manager than several that the club have chosen in the last few years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2022 22:39

tidus_mi2 What I don't get is why Cardiff fans are scoffing at the idea of Ince, it seems very much the reaction a lot of our fans were having when we appointed him but that was on the back of a long absence from the game as a manager, now they're looking at a manager who has overseen a club with a low wage budget, no money to spend and a huge player upheaval and taken them to 3rd after 10 games and they're saying, nah, no thanks mate.

He had a bad stint in his biggest job or two and there's a gif of him with the word shoot on a piece of paper.

Plus there's potentially the old black managers don't get the same chances thing.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Sep 2022 01:33

Hound I never quite got why he was so written off. Blackburn didn’t work out but he always seemed to do ok otherwise

Yeah . Think he’s smart enough to know at the moment he’s in a good spot as there’s little pressure to do anything but survive .

Like anyone he will want more than that in the long term but I’d be very surprised if he sees Cardiff as that much of a short term step up anyway.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2022 07:40

Vision

Yeah . Think he’s smart enough to know at the moment he’s in a good spot as there’s little pressure to do anything but survive .

Like anyone he will want more than that in the long term but I’d be very surprised if he sees Cardiff as that much of a short term step up anyway.

He will want more than avoiding relegation as a goal but he has also always talked about 3 year projects etc and it is probably unarguable that we are, bare minimum, a 3 year project at the moment. End of last season isn't counted as was just a fire fighting exercise so:

2022/23 - Avoid relegation
2023/24 - Aim for decent mid-table finish 10th-14th
2024/25 - Play-off/promotion push

That may even be too quick but also if we continue on the path we have set off on this year, it may even be that we could move quicker but with the squad he and Bowen have assembled and the fighting spirit that appears to be there, the first goal should be achieved - pressure will only come if we suddenly go on a run of 1 win in 6 or 7, or if we massively overachieve and the target for next year moves upwards i.e. play-off push.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Sep 2022 08:14

Snowflake Royal

He had a bad stint in his biggest job or two and there's a gif of him with the word shoot on a piece of paper.

Plus there's potentially the old black managers don't get the same chances thing.

I love that people keep referring to that piece of paper

Managers have notebooks
Teams have days when they annoy the manager by not shooting
If he gets angry enough he writes SHOOT in big letters si that he can hairdryer them with it at halftime
That becomes a tell tale sign he’s cr@p :roll:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Sep 2022 08:40

Stranded
Vision

He will want more than avoiding relegation as a goal but he has also always talked about 3 year projects etc and it is probably unarguable that we are, bare minimum, a 3 year project at the moment. End of last season isn't counted as was just a fire fighting exercise so:

2022/23 - Avoid relegation
2023/24 - Aim for decent mid-table finish 10th-14th
2024/25 - Play-off/promotion push

That may even be too quick but also if we continue on the path we have set off on this year, it may even be that we could move quicker but with the squad he and Bowen have assembled and the fighting spirit that appears to be there, the first goal should be achieved - pressure will only come if we suddenly go on a run of 1 win in 6 or 7, or if we massively overachieve and the target for next year moves upwards i.e. play-off push.

Yeah I do think that's bare minimum, personally think it could be more 4/5 years before we start looking at a play off/promotion push because we will have to make a lot of changes to our squad to have a team that can sustainably challenge for the play offs (and above). By sustainably, I mean where we are expected to be near the top based on the quality in our squad, not just a one off season like Huddersfield and Luton last season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2022 08:59

Other than the odd occasion when you get the likes of Brentford, do teams really have 4-5 year plans nowadays?

Everything is so short termist. Think in the champ you generally need a solid base - which I reckon we’ll have next season, and then you need a lot of luck and things to go your way to get a promotion/ play off

Hudders wasn’t a long term plan when they went up. Forest lucked out last season when they’d not been progressing due to some very good loans and management tbf (but it was a very average team otherwise). Sheff utd maybe, though they were only in the champ for 1 year before they went up

When we made the POs last we had a shocker the year before. Pauno’s 8th place was on the back of a load of random signings and Olise coming good

Other than that it’s generally just teams who have a load of prem players on their side

In summary, get the place in order and we prob have as good a chance of the play offs as anyone else really