Rumour - Macaulay Langstaff

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Rumour - Macaulay Langstaff

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2022 13:39

Reading said to be one of several league clubs tracking Notts County striker Macaulay Langstaff (15 goals in 13 games) so far this season I believe. Obvs. not someone who could be signed in January (unless loaned) but could be next summer if all goes well in the ffp department.

Previously played for Gateshead and bagged 32 goals plus 14 assists for them last season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Macaulay Langstaff

by CountryRoyal » 10 Oct 2022 14:10

He doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Even Brett Williams had a wikipedia page.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Oct 2022 15:02

CountryRoyal He doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Even Brett Williams had a wikipedia page.

lol i noticed that too.

but to partake in true hobnob tradition. i'd rather we sign Macaulay Culkin

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Oct 2022 15:31

Who are the other clubs tracking? Seem to be getting linked with the odd non-league striker banging the goals in, however it does tend to be a bit too much to step up from National League to the Championship, even the bottom end.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Oct 2022 16:16

Probably not that important a consideration in the grand scheme of things but there are 5 As in his name. FIVE.

Still, if he's a good player I'm not so fussed tbh

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Oct 2022 16:19

Certainly has an eye for goal albeit at a much lower level. Low level risk, cheap option when we have a bit more flexibility in the Summer maybe.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2022 08:10

This rumour pleases me.

We are going to be in the market for a few strikers this coming summer you would think as currently Long, Joao, Carroll & Meite will not be contracted to the club.

So I would like to see us move for at least 1 poss 2 strikers proven at whatever level we are at, an educated risk like a Langstaff with one of our young strikers making up the core striking unit next season.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 11 Oct 2022 08:34

Brogue
CountryRoyal He doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Even Brett Williams had a wikipedia page.

lol i noticed that too.

I'd rather Sean Longstaff (Newcastle Utd player) or Matty Longstaff. Any chance that these Longstaffs are all related?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Oct 2022 08:49

Franconian Royal
Brogue

lol i noticed that too.

I'd rather Sean Longstaff (Newcastle Utd player) or Matty Longstaff. Any chance that these Longstaffs are all related?

Matty is Sean’s younger brother. Macaulay is a Langstaff so is unrelated

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Oct 2022 09:03

YorkshireRoyal99 Who are the other clubs tracking? Seem to be getting linked with the odd non-league striker banging the goals in, however it does tend to be a bit too much to step up from National League to the Championship, even the bottom end.

If only there was an example of a player signed from the Conference National who went on to win the Premier League and play for England within 4 years.

The fact is, that's where we are at the moment. Even if we are cleared for FFP at the end of the season, we won't be able to compete for £2-3m signings.

The one proviso is that, at 25, how much better will he get?
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 11 Oct 2022 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 11 Oct 2022 09:05

Sutekh
Franconian Royal
Brogue
lol i noticed that too.

Matty is Sean’s younger brother. Macaulay is a Langstaff so is unrelated

Just saw my mega mistake. :lol:

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 11 Oct 2022 09:10

Leroy from lower Bristol
Kitson from Lower Cambridge
Doyle and Long from some random Irish nobodies

but ! . No ! we have to show interest in Top scorers in Bundesliga league , serial A etc. who cost 20 million plus !
RFC fans must be the most stupid ret*&&ds ever !!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Oct 2022 09:25

From Despair To Where?
YorkshireRoyal99 Who are the other clubs tracking? Seem to be getting linked with the odd non-league striker banging the goals in, however it does tend to be a bit too much to step up from National League to the Championship, even the bottom end.

If only there was an example of a player signed from the Conference National who went on to win the Premier League and play for England within 4 years.

The fact is, that's where we are at the moment. Even if we are cleared for FFP at the end of the season, we won't be able to compete for £2-3m signings.

The one proviso is that, at 25, how much better will he get?

There's a reason why said player is as famous as he is, because it's so rare. Not to say they can't do that, it's just rare. McNulty was banging goals in L2 and couldn't step up to our level, for example.

I think it depends where we are at with our financial situation. If our current business plan means our losses are bordering the maximum FFP losses of £39m of three years, i.e. we are making a loss of £35m over 3 years, so that we remain within the regulations but with limited wriggle room, then fair enough I wouldn't expect us to be going for multiple signings that are £2-3m. I don't think it's entirely necessary to do that though, there are/have been plenty of good players at this level that have been sold for £1m or less which we could well be in for, I'm with you on that though.

For the record, I'm not completely writing the guy off (if a move ever materialised), I'm just cautious that jumping 3 leagues can be very difficult for a lot of players to adapt to, particularly when some Championship teams have players in them that are established International footballers as well.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Oct 2022 09:26

Einstein agogo Leroy from lower Bristol

but ! . No ! we have to show interest in Top scorers in Bundesliga league , serial A etc. who cost 20 million plus !

For every long and doyle there is a Dave Mooney however. The reason we spotted long and doyle in the first place was because of our scouting system, a scouting system which was decimated over the last few years. We now have this guy from spurs as head of recruitment so I guess the hope is we can start going back to our roots and start finding gems in the lower leagues

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Oct 2022 09:39

Brogue

For every long and doyle there is a Dave Mooney however. The reason we spotted long and doyle in the first place was because of our scouting system, a scouting system which was decimated over the last few years. We now have this guy from spurs as head of recruitment so I guess the hope is we can start going back to our roots and start finding gems in the lower leagues

We didn’t spot Long and Doyle through our scouting system, we spotted them because of ED’s brother, Pat who had been their manager.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Oct 2022 10:10

Nameless
Brogue

We didn’t spot Long and Doyle through our scouting system, we spotted them because of ED’s brother, Pat who had been their manager.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Oct 2022 10:47

Long, Doyle, Kitson. Lower league players can do well. I like these sorts of gambles.

The thing is if you take a player who gets a decent amount in a lower league, like 15-20 a season then they might be good in a higher league, they might not. Kitson btw I think fell into this category. 'Only' 40 goals in 102 appearances for Cambridge,

But when you're getting to 32 goals in a season and 15 goals in the last 13 games, you're pretty much completely maxing out and it's obvious that is way lower than his level, so less of a gamble possibly.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Oct 2022 12:15

Millsy Long, Doyle, Kitson. Lower league players can do well. I like these sorts of gambles.

The thing is if you take a player who gets a decent amount in a lower league, like 15-20 a season then they might be good in a higher league, they might not. Kitson btw I think fell into this category. 'Only' 40 goals in 102 appearances for Cambridge,

But when you're getting to 32 goals in a season and 15 goals in the last 13 games, you're pretty much completely maxing out and it's obvious that is way lower than his level, so less of a gamble possibly.

I think my point was how far down do you go? Yeah 15 in 13 in the Conference shows he's obviously too good for that level at the moment, but does that suddenly mean he's Championship quality? He might be, hence why I wouldn't write it off, but it's difficult to see a player jumping three leagues in one and being successful. Vardy did it, fair play, but that's not every player though either.

Kitson was recently relegated from L1 with Cambridge, granted it was still two divisions below at the time, and Lita was only in the division below at Bristol City. Toney, again, another name who only came from a division below along with others. I definitely think it's a player-by-player basis, as many examples can conflict other arguments, but I just don't think it's all that common to see someone go from the Conference to Championship and be successful. Even Vardy's move was 10 years ago, a different time to now. As I said above, Championship teams now have established International players in their squads with massively inflated parachute payments than what they did back in 2012.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Oct 2022 13:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy Long, Doyle, Kitson. Lower league players can do well. I like these sorts of gambles.

I think my point was how far down do you go? Yeah 15 in 13 in the Conference shows he's obviously too good for that level at the moment, but does that suddenly mean he's Championship quality? He might be, hence why I wouldn't write it off, but it's difficult to see a player jumping three leagues in one and being successful. Vardy did it, fair play, but that's not every player though either.

Kitson was recently relegated from L1 with Cambridge, granted it was still two divisions below at the time, and Lita was only in the division below at Bristol City. Toney, again, another name who only came from a division below along with others. I definitely think it's a player-by-player basis, as many examples can conflict other arguments, but I just don't think it's all that common to see someone go from the Conference to Championship and be successful. Even Vardy's move was 10 years ago, a different time to now. As I said above, Championship teams now have established International players in their squads with massively inflated parachute payments than what they did back in 2012.

Fair summary yes. I was going to put something like 'This has got McNulty written all over it,' until I read this more measured post.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Oct 2022 14:23

It’d be a risk obviously but if you don’t gamble then you won’t get any of the benefits. I’m fairly confident that the likes of Bowen, Ince and Carey between them would be able to recognise if someone playing at tier 5 and below would have the makings of someone who could play at tier 2 or higher. And if their judgment says it’s worth a shout then why not.

For the record, Millwall, Portsmouth and Plymouth are also tracking him so would seem to me that there is sufficient about him to think he might be able to make the jump up.