Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Rumour - Macaulay Langstaff

by RoyalBlue » 11 Oct 2022 15:25

Einstein agogo Leroy from lower Bristol
Kitson from Lower Cambridge
Doyle and Long from some random Irish nobodies

but ! . No ! we have to show interest in Top scorers in Bundesliga league , serial A etc. who cost 20 million plus !
RFC fans must be the most stupid ret*&&ds ever !!

Add Kerry Dixon from Dunstable albeit a good long time ago now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2022 11:55

Brogue

but ! . No ! we have to show interest in Top scorers in Bundesliga league , serial A etc. who cost 20 million plus !

For every long and doyle there is a Dave Mooney however. The reason we spotted long and doyle in the first place was because of our scouting system, a scouting system which was decimated over the last few years. We now have this guy from spurs as head of recruitment so I guess the hope is we can start going back to our roots and start finding gems in the lower leagues

More like for every Long and Doyle there's 10 Dave Mooneys.

There's keeping an eye on good lower league prospects, and then there's wasting your time on signing the likes of Brett Williams.

I agree with YR, National League to Championship is too big a step. Especially when he's played less than half a National League season. He's worth monitoring, if he steps up the L2 or L1 in January or next season and keeps scoring maybe we can swoop. But odds of this guy contributing for us in the next year are close to zero.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Oct 2022 12:09

Snowflake Royal
Brogue

For every long and doyle there is a Dave Mooney however. The reason we spotted long and doyle in the first place was because of our scouting system, a scouting system which was decimated over the last few years. We now have this guy from spurs as head of recruitment so I guess the hope is we can start going back to our roots and start finding gems in the lower leagues

There's keeping an eye on good lower league prospects, and then there's wasting your time on signing the likes of Brett Williams.

I agree with YR, National League to Championship is too big a step. Especially when he's played less than half a National League season. He's worth monitoring, if he steps up the L2 or L1 in January or next season and keeps scoring maybe we can swoop. But odds of this guy contributing for us in the next year are close to zero.

Dave Mooney was a fairly decent player, might not have been tier 2 standard but played plenty of league games for Norwich, Orient, Colchester, Charlton and Southend in the lower divisions and managed about 80 goals or so in 300 or so apps in England (just 2 goals in 4 league cup apps for Reading though). So while a “failure” for Reading he obviously was good enough for the overall professional game here.

For the record he’s now 37 and back in Ireland with Lucan United.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Oct 2022 15:44

Don’t forget Buttocks Butler.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Nov 2022 10:02

This would be a good signing

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Nov 2022 19:45

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

Dave Mooney was a fairly decent player, might not have been tier 2 standard but played plenty of league games for Norwich, Orient, Colchester, Charlton and Southend in the lower divisions and managed about 80 goals or so in 300 or so apps in England (just 2 goals in 4 league cup apps for Reading though). So while a “failure” for Reading he obviously was good enough for the overall professional game here.

For the record he’s now 37 and back in Ireland with Lucan United.

I only remember seeing Mooney once in a Reading shirt, away to Stoke in the League Cup when he came on in extra time and played on the wing. He looked a half decent player, albeit against a knackered Stoke defence.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Apr 2023 22:10

I hope we go in for him this summer

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Apr 2023 12:01

Royal_jimmy I hope we go in for him this summer

Given the current uncertainty about .... just about everything .... not sure we can be targeting anything at all at the moment

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Apr 2023 09:41

Not sure he'd come to us in league one unless Notts County don't go up

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Apr 2023 12:32

I’ve seen him a couple of times this season and he’s looked decent. He’s not the biggest but his movement is excellent. I think Van Veen at Motherwell could also be someone we could look at.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Apr 2023 21:46

blythspartan

I’ve seen him a couple of times this season and he’s looked decent. He’s not the biggest but his movement is excellent. I think Van Veen at Motherwell could also be someone we could look at.

van Veen's having an excellent season but his goalscoring record, which is primarily at league 2 level or equivalent, is 1 in 5. He's also 31.

If we stay in the Championship and were looking to buy a forward from the SPL, I'd look at Laurence Shankland at Hearts or Kevin Nisbet at Hibs, although Nisbet turned down Millwall in January after Hibs accepted a £2m bid. Shankland would cost similar so arguably out of our price range.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 12 Apr 2023 07:41

From Despair To Where?
blythspartan

van Veen's having an excellent season but his goalscoring record, which is primarily at league 2 level or equivalent, is 1 in 5. He's also 31.

If we stay in the Championship and were looking to buy a forward from the SPL, I'd look at Laurence Shankland at Hearts or Kevin Nisbet at Hibs, although Nisbet turned down Millwall in January after Hibs accepted a £2m bid. Shankland would cost similar so arguably out of our price range.

Yeah, the above would be decent options but as you say probably out of our price range.

My Charlton supporting mate reckons J Rak-Sakyi who’s on loan from Palace is quality. I’ve not really heard of him but Palace have some good youngsters.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Apr 2023 19:15

blythspartan
From Despair To Where?
blythspartan

Yeah, the above would be decent options but as you say probably out of our price range.

My Charlton supporting mate reckons J Rak-Sakyi who’s on loan from Palace is quality. I’ve not really heard of him but Palace have some good youngsters.

Yeah I've heard that lad from Palace is meant to be doing well for Charlton, I wouldn't mind him on loan next season. Only 20 and is an actual winger as well which is what we are crying out for at the moment. Should be exactly the type of profile player we are after really.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Apr 2023 19:29

blythspartan
From Despair To Where?
blythspartan

We were apparently interested in him January '22 https://twitter.com/NizaarKinsella/stat ... TuFCw&s=19

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Apr 2023 19:35

maffff
blythspartan
From Despair To Where?

We were apparently interested in him January '22 https://twitter.com/NizaarKinsella/stat ... TuFCw&s=19

13 goals in 45 apps for Charlton this season, also a cracking surname! bet he gets called Hacky-Sack a lot.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2023 20:43

Sutekh
maffff
blythspartan

13 goals in 45 apps for Charlton this season, also a cracking surname! bet he gets called Hacky-Sack a lot.

Yes please

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2023 14:34

Liking the look of him in the play offs.