January transfer window 2023

313 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: January transfer window 2023

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2023 19:49

morganb West Brom, QPR and Reading in race to sign Liverpool midfielder Leighton Clarkson on loan

https://www.footballinsider247.com/thre ... -clarkson/

Sounds good but unless someone goes first…..

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Jan 2023 08:31

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... an-hugill/

"Reading submit bid for Norwich City star Jordan Hugill"

Wrong on so many levels - we don't have space in the squad at present and as far as we know Reading can't bid on anyone and do we need another striker?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2023 08:47

morganb https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-reading-submit-bid-for-norwich-city-star-jordan-hugill/

Wrong on so many levels - we don't have space in the squad at present and as far as we know Reading can't bid on anyone and do we need another striker?

Reading can submit bids for players, it just depends on the nature of the bid. As far as I am aware Hugill is out of contract in the summer so Reading possibly may enter discussions in a bid to loan him or may be tabling a bid with the player directly over a move in the summer. Would agree, as with any Reading transfer rumour at the moment, that there is naff all chance of it happening unless Reading somehow get shot of someone this window.

However this may have be agent talk to remind other clubs that Hugill is available or (now) out out date news based on Reading sounding Norwich out on a possible move as insurance if AC didn’t re-sign.

And you’re right with AC staying we don’t really need a striker, if someone is needed it’s another midfielder.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jan 2023 08:52

morganb https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-reading-submit-bid-for-norwich-city-star-jordan-hugill/

I guess the only thing could be is that they've had an offer for Joao and have accepted it?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2023 08:54

I think a lot of these rumours won't take into account any potential outgoings this month, with players like Ejaria who might be going out this month permanently or the likes of Tetek and Azeez who may go out on loan for half a season potentially. All these talks will be ongoing.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2023 08:56

Sutekh

Reading can submit bids for players, it just depends on the nature of the bid. As far as I am aware Hugill is out of contract in the summer so Reading possibly may enter discussions in a bid to loan him or may be tabling a bid with the player directly over a move in the summer. Would agree, as with any Reading transfer rumour at the moment, that there is naff all chance of it happening unless Reading somehow get shot of someone this window.

However this may have be agent talk to remind other clubs that Hugill is available or (now) out out date news based on Reading sounding Norwich out on a possible move as insurance if AC didn’t re-sign.

And you’re right with AC staying we don’t really need a striker, if someone is needed it’s another midfielder.

We may also be selling Joao, if so Hugill makes sense to bring in.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2023 09:13

Royal_jimmy
Sutekh

Ince has said that he does not want the club to sell Joao so I think it’s unlikely, though obviously not impossible. I’d go for it though if a reasonable amount was offered, and more so if it took Joao to the PL or another country.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2023 09:16

Sutekh
Royal_jimmy
Sutekh

Ince has said that he does not want the club to sell Joao so I think it’s unlikely, though obviously not impossible. I’d go for it though if a reasonable amount was offered, and more so if it took Joao to the PL or another country.

It's not just that either, we've hardly been prolific in front of goal this season and many fans have complained that we don't have too much of a threat in some games going forward. If he's someone that suits our style a bit better and can come in and add a few goals for us then I'd be all for it.

Obviously, addressing the elephant in the room, it does require an outgoing player and it's probably not the highest on the priority list. But we have been linked with a couple of other players, so maybe we are expecting some movement this window, not forgetting that Mbengue still hasn't been signed on for an extension yet (although I hope/expect this to happen).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jan 2023 09:39

Wouldn't be against a move for Hugill if outgoings allow esp. if it is say an 18month or 2.5 year deal - as things stand we will be left with AC as our only striker come 1st July, so if we are expecting Joao, Meite and Long to all move on/retire then we should be looking around. He's out of favour there so may be that Norwich are happy to terminate his deal 6 months early.

Agree though, that preference would be to try and bring another midfield body in - fully expect that any business will be done late this window beyond an extention for Mbengue.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2023 16:47

Sutekh
Royal_jimmy
Sutekh

Shame Derby are in a mess and in league one. I'm sure we'd mug them off again like we did with Nick Blackman :lol:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Jan 2023 16:59

Can't help but think the Hugill rumour is just someone mischief making after his touchline spat with Alex Rae (caught on Twitter) during the recent Norwich game.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Jan 2023 16:56

JLow:

Paul Ince says he expects Amadou Mbengue's new #readingfc contract to be finalised tomorrow morning. Admits other clubs have shown interest but the player is happy at the club and has been helped by the 'little French contingent' of Meite, Sarr and Loum

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathanl50/ ... 2670793729

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2023 18:12

Sounds like Mbengue should re-sign then, good news

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jan 2023 19:19

Pleased with that if it happens. I know he's a raw but if he was a 20 y/o graduate from our academy putting in the level of performance he has, we'd all be raving about him.

It's also reassuring that Ince is constantly referring to things like character, personality and attitude.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2023 09:00

From Despair To Where? Pleased with that if it happens. I know he's a raw but if he was a 20 y/o graduate from our academy putting in the level of performance he has, we'd all be raving about him.

It's also reassuring that Ince is constantly referring to things like character, personality and attitude.

100% this and it is why I am more than comfortable with Ince being here next year as well as he is helping get the culture right as well. He spent his entire playing career winning things, so he knows what is needed in the training room and thought it was interesting how he referred to Sarr & Meite helped Mbengue settle in as his English isn't quite there yet.

Interesting side comment on speaking to players who had left and perhaps wish they hadn't. Think we can figure that out and also take with a large pinch of salt.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Jan 2023 09:05

There's a lot of parallels between Meite and Mbengue as they both came here speaking very little English and considering Meite's personality I'm sure he was one of the first to try and help him settle in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2023 09:30

tidus_mi2 There's a lot of parallels between Meite and Mbengue as they both came here speaking very little English and considering Meite's personality I'm sure he was one of the first to try and help him settle in.

And Charlie Adam.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2023 09:42

Yeah it's good news on Mbengue, glad to have him signed on and hopefully he can get back to reproducing the sort of levels he was showing before the World Cup break + Coventry at home. Seemed to have lost his place after the Birmingham debacle, but clearly a raw talent there that just needs a bit of experience.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2023 10:32

Yep poor mistake at Brum but ince still brings him on so clearly hasn’t lost confidence in him

Seems to be a good chap to have around the place so thumbs up for this

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2023 10:47

I think we just need to establish a consistent position for him. I think he's showed his best ability starting at CB in a 3, but we brought him in as a midfielder, he's had a few games at wing back where he's looked very uncomfortable but at CB he seems to be best there. Versatility is nice, but if we want to really improve him and potentially get a good resale value, he will need to be playing consistently in one position.

313 posts