January transfer window 2023

313 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January transfer window 2023

by Nameless » 09 Jan 2023 13:30

Brogue Twatter rumour - Matt Richie on loan.

Is there a rumour explaining how we fit a 26th player into our 25 man squad ?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2023 13:46

Nameless

To be fair, Carroll and Mbengue are out of contract shortly so it's only a matter of time before we have some wriggled room as it stands. In fairness, I wouldn't actually mind Ritchie. A decent set piece taker, experienced and can cover a fair few positions for us as well.

An even better option might be terminating Rahman's loan and then getting Ritchie, if that can even happen.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jan 2023 14:28

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

To be fair, Carroll and Mbengue are out of contract shortly so it's only a matter of time before we have some wriggled room as it stands. In fairness, I wouldn't actually mind Ritchie. A decent set piece taker, experienced and can cover a fair few positions for us as well.

An even better option might be terminating Rahman's loan and then getting Ritchie, if that can even happen.

Neither Carroll nor Mbengue look likely to be leaving though. Can’t see Chelsea being keen to take Baba back, and wouldn’t that just put us back to the position of having one, inexperienced left back in the squad ?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Jan 2023 14:30

It has come from a personal account rather than a journalist or obvious spoof account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ronniemac93/ ... 1490120704

Don’t shoot the messenger but been told #readingfc are in talks with Newcastle over a potential loan move for Matt Richie #nufc

Don't know if "ronniemac93" is ITK - where's our ITK Eddie gone?

As it is Newcastle I wonder if there is something going on with Hendrick (being recalled/loaned elsewhere/sold by them?)

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Jan 2023 14:33

morganb

It has come from a personal account rather than a journalist or obvious spoof account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ronniemac93/ ... 1490120704

Don’t shoot the messenger but been told #readingfc are in talks with Newcastle over a potential loan move for Matt Richie #nufc

Don't know if "ronniemac93" is ITK - where's our ITK Eddie gone?

Indeed, it could be and most probably is a load of made up bollox, but hey this is the rumours and gossip page. And we in a transfer window. No better place to put such things. Let’s see.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2023 15:06

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Neither Carroll nor Mbengue look likely to be leaving though. Can’t see Chelsea being keen to take Baba back, and wouldn’t that just put us back to the position of having one, inexperienced left back in the squad ?

Well we are no more ITK about a new deal for either, other than both parties are keen to make it work. So at the moment, yes both will be leaving but obviously it's open to change and I'm hoping that it will change and we can keep both.

Ritchie can cover LB/LWB as he's done for Newcastle before, so he would probably be a "straight swap" in that department, but can also cover other positions and gives us an even greater threat at set pieces. Although yes, I can't see why Chelsea would want Rahman back, unless we have the option to terminate the loan or he's agreed a permanent deal elsewhere.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jan 2023 15:10

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Well we are no more ITK about a new deal for either, other than both parties are keen to make it work. So at the moment, yes both will be leaving but obviously it's open to change and I'm hoping that it will change and we can keep both.

Ritchie can cover LB/LWB as he's done for Newcastle before, so he would probably be a "straight swap" in that department, but can also cover other positions and gives us an even greater threat at set pieces. Although yes, I can't see why Chelsea would want Rahman back, unless we have the option to terminate the loan or he's agreed a permanent deal elsewhere.

If it helps the question could be posed ‘how do we fit 3 players into the 2 slots that might be available in the squad?’

If it’s a swap deal for Hendricks that leaves us very short in midfield. Woukd make more sense to find another central midfielder to bring in….

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2023 15:38

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

If it helps the question could be posed ‘how do we fit 3 players into the 2 slots that might be available in the squad?’

If it’s a swap deal for Hendricks that leaves us very short in midfield. Woukd make more sense to find another central midfielder to bring in….

In which case, we don't, but at the moment I guess we have to explore all avenues and not just box ourselves in to hoping we can get both Mbengue and Carroll signed on and probably need to look at alternatives elsewhere and other deals we can do. There might also be the case of players like Tetek, Azeez, Abrefa, Abbey etc going out on loan in the background as well.

I wouldn't do a swap deal for Hendrick personally, I wouldn't actively look to send Hendrick back unless Newcastle wanted him back for whatever reason. If that's what's on the table, it would be a bit unfortunate for us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2023 22:38

33 year old winger when we don't play with wingers isn’t screaming 'yes' to me, if I have the right guy.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2023 08:42

Snowflake Royal 33 year old winger when we don't play with wingers isn’t screaming 'yes' to me, if I have the right guy.

Over the last couple of seasons where he has played (so looking at the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons), he has predominantly played as a LB, sometimes as a LM and a few occasions on the right side. So would probably suit a LWB role pretty well and having that flexibility where his versatility can cover a few positions might be useful.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2023 09:27

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal 33 year old winger when we don't play with wingers isn’t screaming 'yes' to me, if I have the right guy.

Over the last couple of seasons where he has played (so looking at the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons), he has predominantly played as a LB, sometimes as a LM and a few occasions on the right side. So would probably suit a LWB role pretty well and having that flexibility where his versatility can cover a few positions might be useful.

If there’s one position well covered at the moment it’s the left back area with Rahman and the young padowan NGW not to mention TMac for insurance so unless Rahman gets sent back this is an utterly stupid waste of resource (unless PI has seen something in the tarot). And Reading don’t utilise proper wing play so what’d be the point? Finally the club have to get rid of players first and I haven’t seen one rumour about anyone wanting any Reading players at the moment.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2023 09:36

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

If there’s one position well covered at the moment it’s the left back area with Rahman and the young padowan NGW not to mention TMac for insurance so unless Rahman gets sent back this is an utterly stupid waste of resource (unless PI has seen something in the tarot). And Reading don’t utilise proper wing play so what’d be the point? Finally the club have to get rid of players first and I haven’t seen one rumour about anyone wanting any Reading players at the moment.

Agree with all of that. Think I mentioned it above, it would only make sense if Rahman was to go back to Chelsea or I suppose it's another option for us if Carroll and/or Mbengue don't sign on but I'd rather we looked for other areas where we need a bit more depth, like in the middle of the park, up top (to replace Carroll should he leave) or possibly even RWB.

P.Ince has made a point of wanting to use wingers on a more frequent basis, or even having more forward-thinking wing backs, in NGW, Hoilett and Ritchie, might be of use to us as well. So even though we don't use wing play at the moment, doesn't mean we can't look at players that could potentially help improve on that weakness, but that would also mean a slight shift in how we play as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2023 10:30

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah, I really don't think we need another player stopping our best LWB playing. If Rahman sods off maybe.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Jan 2023 10:53

I guess Ritchie might want to move back down South as he gets nearer the end of his career-he has done Pompey, Swindon - Bournemouth and Brighton are now at a different level so, regardless of whether we can or need to get him, I guess that we would be a good option for him.

I understand the comments about getting promoted and agree that it would be a disaster with a team like the one beaten by Huddersfield but if , in the next few years, we somehow had a side anywhere near as good as the 2006 team, I would love to see us back there and maybe do a Brentford or a Brighton if we were then better managed both on an off the pitch.

I can't agree with Hound that this is a brilliant league.
The number of games that we see that can be described as enjoyable is rare IMHO and many of us go expecting little but delighted when the entertainment and excitement exceed those expectations.
I would love to see top players once again at our stadium rather than the Rotherhams, Hulls, Prestons and the like even if we have to pay a bit more for the pleasure.

We are nowhere near the right level at the moment with our assortment of geriatrics, youngsters and players that don't belong to us but if we can produce a decent side within the next few years aided by our supposedly super rich owners I would be delighted to see us in the Premier League again.
That team of Coppell's and that season were magical and so much better than the dross that we have mainly got to see since.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Jan 2023 11:59

Apologies, if this has already been covered but who are the current youngsters that count towards the 25 man squad. Just thinking in terms of who we could loan out to make room for a more experienced player.

Also, does anyone know if Jahmari Clarke is still on loan at Woking and if he is doing well? I recorded the Gills match against Leicester in the cup and thought that they could be a good club for one of our young strikers to go to. I used to quite enjoy going to Priestfield back in the day.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2023 12:16

South Coast Royal I guess Ritchie might want to move back down South as he gets nearer the end of his career-he has done Pompey, Swindon - Bournemouth and Brighton are now at a different level so, regardless of whether we can or need to get him, I guess that we would be a good option for him.

I understand the comments about getting promoted and agree that it would be a disaster with a team like the one beaten by Huddersfield but if , in the next few years, we somehow had a side anywhere near as good as the 2006 team, I would love to see us back there and maybe do a Brentford or a Brighton if we were then better managed both on an off the pitch.

I can't agree with Hound that this is a brilliant league.
The number of games that we see that can be described as enjoyable is rare IMHO and many of us go expecting little but delighted when the entertainment and excitement exceed those expectations.
I would love to see top players once again at our stadium rather than the Rotherhams, Hulls, Prestons and the like even if we have to pay a bit more for the pleasure.

We are nowhere near the right level at the moment with our assortment of geriatrics, youngsters and players that don't belong to us but if we can produce a decent side within the next few years aided by our supposedly super rich owners I would be delighted to see us in the Premier League again.
That team of Coppell's and that season were magical and so much better than the dross that we have mainly got to see since.

Agree with this really, especially about the league. I don't think anybody outside the 5 teams with parachute payments are really ready for the Premier League, probably not even Blackburn or Middlesbrough who have been in and around the play off places for a few seasons.

The likes of QPR, Swansea, Millwall etc who are similar to those I've mentioned don't look anywhere near the part either without significant changes in their squads, I can probably only think of a handful players between the 5 clubs mentioned that would actually get into a PL side at the moment. I just think there is a distinct lack of quality in the Championship, probably owed to that of parachute payments widening the gap over a long period of time.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Jan 2023 17:24

AC extended till Summer 2024 thrilled with that he loves it here.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Jan 2023 17:44

windermereROYAL AC extended till Summer 2024 thrilled with that he loves it here.

This is a great bit of news!! Just having him around the club and passing on his experience to all our youngsters is worth its weight in gold. I can only imagine what he's like in the dressing room during the build up to a game :D
This for me will ensure our stay for another season in the Championship. Next job, get this man his coaching license and tie him to the club long term :D :D

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 10 Jan 2023 18:23

West Brom, QPR and Reading in race to sign Liverpool midfielder Leighton Clarkson on loan

https://www.footballinsider247.com/thre ... -clarkson/

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2023 18:25

Crowbar6753
windermereROYAL AC extended till Summer 2024 thrilled with that he loves it here.

This is a great bit of news!! Just having him around the club and passing on his experience to all our youngsters is worth its weight in gold. I can only imagine what he's like in the dressing room during the build up to a game :D
This for me will ensure our stay for another season in the Championship. Next job, get this man his coaching license and tie him to the club long term :D :D

Absolutely spot on in all respects. And it's great to have a player whose prime motivation is his love of playing the game rather than also as a means to make a living.

313 posts