Rumour - Jordan Hugill

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Rumour - Jordan Hugill

by John Smith » 11 Jan 2023 09:05

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-reading-submit-bid-for-norwich-city-star-jordan-hugill/

Hardly the most reliable of resources, but we have apparently submitted a bid for Hugill

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Jordan Hugill

by Nameless » 11 Jan 2023 10:24

I suspect we’ve really gone big on this and put in the biggest bid we could.
Which would be £0.

Royal Bison

by Royal Bison » 11 Jan 2023 10:48

John Smith https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-reading-submit-bid-for-norwich-city-star-jordan-hugill/

Hardly the most reliable of resources, but we have apparently submitted a bid for Hugill

Although, it's Pete O'Rourke who himself is normally pretty reliable.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jan 2023 10:56

Considering we have Long, Joao and possibly Meite leaving at the end of the season, I don't think he'd be a bad signing in the summer.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2023 11:50

From Despair To Where? Considering we have Long, Joao and possibly Meite leaving at the end of the season, I don't think he'd be a bad signing in the summer.

Half a season loan potentially and then signed of a permanent deal in the summer would be pretty decent business - depending what happens in regards to outgoings this month.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2023 12:41

It may be that they are happy to cancel his contract, pay him off for x% of his wage and we cover the rest or something like that

I’d be ok with it. Would assume as everyone else is that it’d be the end of Joao and possibly long in the summer

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Jan 2023 12:54

I’d be happy with this if PInce is intending to play speedy wing backs who can create chances for him and Carroll. I have always thought he was decent at this level but it might mean Joao is on the move.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2023 13:32

Hound It may be that they are happy to cancel his contract, pay him off for x% of his wage and we cover the rest or something like that

I’d be ok with it. Would assume as everyone else is that it’d be the end of Joao and possibly long in the summer

I'd be tempted to add Meite to that list as well just because of wages, unless we can get him to agree to a significantly lower wage than he';s currently on.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Jan 2023 14:21

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound It may be that they are happy to cancel his contract, pay him off for x% of his wage and we cover the rest or something like that

I'd be tempted to add Meite to that list as well just because of wages, unless we can get him to agree to a significantly lower wage than he';s currently on.

Would Meite be on that high a wage, given he was pretty much unproven at the time he was offered that long contract?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jan 2023 14:24

I think Long was a sentimental signing and was always going to be an Injury risk.

Whilst Hugill doesn't have Long's pace, from what I remember, he has decent work rate and with Azeez looking to cement a first team place, they could work well together, with the option of Carroll off the bench against a tiring defence.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jan 2023 14:26

RoyalBlue
YorkshireRoyal99

Would Meite be on that high a wage, given he was pretty much unproven at the time he was offered that long contract?

He's reportedly on about £15k a week which would put him in our top 4 or 5 earners with Moore, Joao, Ejaria and Puscas. Sadly, I think he needs to stay fit and start scoring to get a new contract. If we could sell Puscas, those 4 would see about 80k a week off the wagebill if they all left however, I reckon Puscas will still be with us next season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Jan 2023 14:43

Unless one of our 4 strikers are moving on in January I don't see the point of bringing anybody in.
Azeez, IF he stays fit, makes it 5 which is surely enough.

The likelihood is that we will finish around mid-table, maybe slightly lower, so why even think of bringing somebody else in?

BTW I liked the bit in the article which said that Andy Carroll has signed till 2024-have I missed something?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jan 2023 14:43

South Coast Royal Unless one of our 4 strikers are moving on in January I don't see the point of bringing anybody in.
Azeez, IF he stays fit, makes it 5 which is surely enough.

The likelihood is that we will finish around mid-table, maybe slightly lower, so why even think of bringing somebody else in?

BTW I liked the bit in the article which said that Andy Carroll has signed till 2024-have I missed something?

Yes, signed 18 month contract yesterday.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Jan 2023 14:48

It takes a while for news to reach here. :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2023 14:52

Think Genoa have to buy Puscas if they go up don’t they? They are third atm so fair chance still

Hugill is a horrible nasty bit of work. All elbows and kicks, works hard, wins some headers, limited ability. He’d do a job for us but it’d be nice to bring in someone with a bit more technical ability alongside him and Carroll for next season if he does come

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jan 2023 15:09

We'll still be shopping in the bargain basement even when restrictions are lifted so even though a skillful forward would be ideal, and Azeez could be that player, someone who can do a job at this level for a couple of years will be the limit of our ambition when it comes to making permenant signings unless an absolute gift drops in our laps.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2023 15:13

RoyalBlue
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah, as mentioned below, his wages are reported to be around £15k a week. With FFP regulations changing where clubs will be looking at having wage bills that do not exceed 70% of the revenue, we will probably still have to look to reduce even after these restrictions, unless we can significantly improve our revenue streams (entirely possible with plenty of commercial work and fans returning as well).

I also think Puscas will move on to Genoa as I imagine they will probably end up going up, we just don't want to be left in another situation like last season and that extra bit of money will be useful for the club as well.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2023 16:50

YorkshireRoyal99

£17k a week isn't a ridiculous wage. If he agrees a new deal on that wage then I'd happily keep him on that money

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jan 2023 17:20

That would make him the highest paid player in the squad next season.

He needs to prove that he is worthy of that status first. I'd love to see him prove he is worthy of that sort of money because he's exactly the sort of personality and attitude we need at the club, but I have my doubts.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Jan 2023 18:35

I wonder if Besiktas have come back in for Joao now that Weghorst is off to Man United?