Rumour - Ovie Ejaria leaving

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Ovie Ejaria leaving

by Orion1871 » 27 Jan 2023 21:43

Millsy
Hound
Millsy These billy big bollox players from PL clubs can go one of many ways.

1) Be pretty anonymous but eventually get their head down and prove their worth especially when their contract is up eg Swift.

2) Do well for us straight away .. Super Daz?

3) Arrogantly think they're too good for this league and believe they have nothing to learn or prove here... Ejaria.

Probably more ways and examples, just a conversation starter.

And that’s definitely what Ejaria thinks is it?

Swift was decent when he first came, major reason Stams side made the play offs. Then just generally either brilliant or shite for the next 5 years depending on his mood

Nothing is definite mate just starting discussion. Just a guess re: Ejaria.

Swift: just going by the mood here. I and perhaps you thought Swift was decent from day one but I distinctly remember people knocking him for ages while I was one of the few saying he was class, and people attacking me for it. Definitely did not hit the ground running and picked up much more for all to see on and off and especially towards the end.

I agree there will be better examples though - who do you reckon would fit that better?

He did hit the ground running, and people praised him a lot. Then he got injured playing for England Under 21s and he wasn't quite the same for a few months after.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2023 22:31

Yeah, Swift was getting rave reviews in his first six months. Got injured and struggled to replicate it.

He spent a few seasons on and off the treatment bed, got shunted wide left where he was poor. Spent a while slowing things down and over complicating things, then pulled his shit together and was excellent then drifted off again, while remaining pretty solid.

Iirc didn’t he have to adapt how he ran because of the damage from his persistent early injury?

by 9165 » 28 Jan 2023 10:52

Agree. good when he first arrived but mediocre (sometimes worse than that) since.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, his biggest problem is his almost total one-footedness ( his right).

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Jan 2023 23:15

Fair enough, yes he was good right at the beginning that's true. Certainly then injuries or whatever and he was pretty meh.

Have we had any PL players come here then and do nothing for a while, not even hit the ground running, but then eventually get their act together?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Jan 2023 07:59

Was he ever “very good” on a consistent basis though? He might’ve had 2 excellent matches out of say 8, but it’s not like fans were saying he was really good every match.

Admittedly I have seen less than others but I remember in his initial loan being impressed with him but he still slowed the game down too much and his end product still had a lot to be desired.

It’s unfair to call the chap completely useless as he is talented. But his application of that talent, and whether that talent is suited to our team or league is the real issue here

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jan 2023 08:49

Notts Royal Was he ever “very good” on a consistent basis though? He might’ve had 2 excellent matches out of say 8, but it’s not like fans were saying he was really good every match.

Admittedly I have seen less than others but I remember in his initial loan being impressed with him but he still slowed the game down too much and his end product still had a lot to be desired.

It’s unfair to call the chap completely useless as he is talented. But his application of that talent, and whether that talent is suited to our team or league is the real issue here

Not consistent over a long(er) period of time, but over half a dozen games or so there will be some occasions where he'd have been good. On his day, he looks very good, but he just doesn't show it often enough. Not even half a dozen games a season, one or two maximum these days. Probably some factors towards it though.

Definitely not useless, can potentially be a very good player but seems like it will take a lot to make him work.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2023 10:36

Notts Royal Was he ever “very good” on a consistent basis though? He might’ve had 2 excellent matches out of say 8, but it’s not like fans were saying he was really good every match.

Yeah, I’m surprised by some of the reactions too. He was OK in his initial loan spell but no more. Wasn’t someone I was that keen on bringing back but could see the reasoning with the potential. He had one superb week under Gomes but was then part of an extremely weak midfield that was walked over until Bowen came in. Same pattern where he started well under Bowen before a really disappointing second half of the season

Unsurprisingly same pattern under Paunovic where he started well until around the Christmas period before another disappointing second half of the season (where we somehow didn’t get a top 6 finish). Again, thought he started last season quite well with his brace against Fulham and then he seemed to disappear (COVID issues I believe?)

Beauty of football is we all see the game differently but always thought he was overrated. Don’t agree with the luxury tag as he worked extremely hard for the most of it but for an attacking player, his lack of potency was massively underwhelming

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2023 12:47

Did someone say he got injured again in training? Suspect that May scupper any transfer

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Jan 2023 16:29

Hound Did someone say he got injured again in training? Suspect that May scupper any transfer

That's the official line so would be the third time since the pre Tenerife incident.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jan 2023 16:41

Allegedly he was offered to Stoke in a swap deal for Josh Laurent. Alex Neil (rightfully) turned that down. It might mean Stoke have/had some interest in Ejaria alongside us just trying to offload someone surplus to requirements.

I'd be happy for Stoke to take him either way though if we could get someone else in as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2023 17:01

Swapping Ejaria for Laurent would be the biggest transfer coup since getting Doyle and Long for under £100k.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jan 2023 17:03

Snowflake Royal Swapping Ejaria for Laurent would be the biggest transfer coup since getting Doyle and Long for under £100k.

Not sure I'd go that far but it would be pretty daft for them to do that I think. If they are interested, feel free to take him off our hands though.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Jan 2023 09:09

Brogue Let him go. Most overrated player in the squad. Flatters to deceive too often. Yes he has talent but we don’t see enough of it. Despite supposedly being a a creative player his goals and assist numbers are really poor. If we can get some sort of fee for him and it free’s up a space in the squad for someone else I’m for it.

Absolutely and good riddance.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Jan 2023 14:32

He is a luxury player. Unfortunately we can't carry those. It's a shame he rarely had those Fulham away type moments. He had great feet and talent but for some reason never used it properly. I get the feeling playing at Liverpool probably meant he felt we were beneath him and his work rate didn't have to be as high.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Feb 2023 18:52

Ascotexgunner He is a luxury player. Unfortunately we can't carry those. It's a shame he rarely had those Fulham away type moments. He had great feet and talent but for some reason never used it properly. I get the feeling playing at Liverpool probably meant he felt we were beneath him and his work rate didn't have to be as high.

I think his workrate is plenty high, it's his football-brain rate that was lacking. He slowed the game down because once he had the ball he didn't seem to know what to do with it. Sometimes that improves with experience - in his case, if anything, it got worse. More pressure = more anxiety = more dithering, perhaps?

Ince has said he trains well, which is not something he'd say about a lazy player who thinks the division is beneath him.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Feb 2023 22:11

Ejaria reminds me a bit of Tiago Ilori. Should go to Spain or Portugal when he leaves us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2023 17:49

muirinho
Ascotexgunner He is a luxury player. Unfortunately we can't carry those. It's a shame he rarely had those Fulham away type moments. He had great feet and talent but for some reason never used it properly. I get the feeling playing at Liverpool probably meant he felt we were beneath him and his work rate didn't have to be as high.

I think his workrate is plenty high, it's his football-brain rate that was lacking. He slowed the game down because once he had the ball he didn't seem to know what to do with it. Sometimes that improves with experience - in his case, if anything, it got worse. More pressure = more anxiety = more dithering, perhaps?

Ince has said he trains well, which is not something he'd say about a lazy player who thinks the division is beneath him.

Yeah, work rare not a problem. Mostly.

He loved to sit on the floor and sulk after being, legitimately, pushed off the ball.

Biggest problem for me was that he always played with the ball almost totally under his centre of mass, which meant he could twist and turn easily, but could never accelerate away and was really prone to stumbling or being eased off the ball physically.

He didn’t look like he did a lot of work on his strength either.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2023 17:59

Snowflake Royal
muirinho

He loved to sit on the floor and sulk after being, legitimately, pushed off the ball.

Biggest problem for me was that he always played with the ball almost totally under his centre of mass, which meant he could twist and turn easily, but could never accelerate away and was really prone to stumbling or being eased off the ball physically.

He does/did a fair amount of defensive stuff though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2023 18:00

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
muirinho

He does/did a fair amount of defensive stuff though

Yep. One of the best at interceptions iirc.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Feb 2023 11:28

It’s probably irrelevant but my dinosaur-mad son has informed me there’s a dinosaur called oviraptor. Used to steal eggs.

In the absence of any direct confirmation from Paul Ince that the falling out with Ovie is nothing to do with egg theft I cannot rule out this possible explanation.