Points Deduction AGAIN

763 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Points Deduction AGAIN

by Hound » 31 Mar 2023 18:46

Did cross my mind he is playing some sort of game. Not sure what it is mind you as there is obvs something going on

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 31 Mar 2023 19:00

hughsies no.1
Winston Biscuit It's like people have completely lost sight of the fact that relegation is just part of the sports competition that RFC have entered.

It's like finishing near the back of a marathon then saying its unacceptable, moaning about the organisers and then staging a protest about it

I completely get that, but it is a slightly different scenario for us - you really think Dai will be sticking around with us in League One? Financially it would cripple us if he left. Crowds could easily get down to 6/7k.

I genuinely don't even have the smallest clue as to whether the owner would look to get rid of us if we go down. has he said something that makes you feel he would not want to stick around? with the state of our finances we would not be the most attractive club to buy for many people, but I have just not seen anything said about him wanting to sell up. I may have missed something though.

many teams are relegated every season, its all part of the competition we know and love. All those clubs then have to cut their cloth accordingly and deal with lower crowds, less tv money etc.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 31 Mar 2023 19:38

South Coast Royal
Crowbar6753
tidus_mi2 Man Twitter is full of people who actually think relegation will be the end of the club.

Melodramatic much.

Teams get relegated all the time, its not the "end of days". I remember standing on the pitch at Elm Park on the last day of the season i think and we beat Wrexham 1-0 if memory serves me right and we still got relegated!!
Sometimes it sucks for a while and sometimes you come back stronger....Ipswich, Sheff.W, Pompey, Derby and Sunderland, Man.City have all been relegated in recent times. Some hang around for a while whilst some come straight back up...if its a means of resetting the club and getting back to basics then so be it!! Some of these teams are getting near full stadiums each week!!
Getting eye's on some different stadiums may be of interested to our away support and it may even increase the size of our travelling core, and it looks like there may be some pretty tasty local derbies thrown in also!!
If it means we have to rely more heavily on our younger players and utilize the lower leagues for any new additions and reset with a new manager and hopefully a more attractive brand of football then maybe we can survive and thrive and come back stronger with a rejuvenated squad of players.
Its certainly not great, but its not the end!!

I remember that Wrexham game and the next season we would no longer have the brilliant Kerry Dixon but the new God arrived, Trevor Senior and he did rather well for us.
You are right, it wouldn't be the end but I really don't want to be watching 3rd tier football again so would very much prefer it if we stayed up.

Hi S.C.R yeah how lucky were we to get these guys back to back!! Kerry Dixon was great and i remember us tearing Chelsea apart in the old league cup!! 3-0 i think and Dixon caused havoc!! and then big Trevor, the most gangly looking striker ever but he was deadly in front of goal :D :D
I think the Chumpionship has become a bit stale for us as a club....and i wouldn't be to bothered about a trip back down memory lane for a few years and catch a few real stadiums and actually play some games on a proper Saturday afternoon without SKY changing the fixtures to suit them every five minutes!!
Our big earners will be off the books, our attendances wouldn't go down to much and would hover around the 10,000 mark i guess and with a better brand of football and maybe some more wins under our belt they may even improve!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2023 20:08

hughsies no.1
Winston Biscuit It's like people have completely lost sight of the fact that relegation is just part of the sports competition that RFC have entered.

It's like finishing near the back of a marathon then saying its unacceptable, moaning about the organisers and then staging a protest about it

I completely get that, but it is a slightly different scenario for us - you really think Dai will be sticking around with us in League One? Financially it would cripple us if he left. Crowds could easily get down to 6/7k.

I oxf*rd hope not, the sooner the pcunt goes the better.

We won't drop to 6/7k, that's ridiculous. Not any time soon.

There's nothing crippling about him leaving. He gets some or all of his pcunt money back and we just owe debt to the new owner same.as existing.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 31 Mar 2023 20:14

Snowflake Royal
hughsies no.1

There's nothing crippling about him leaving. He gets some or all of his pcunt money back and we just owe debt to the new owner same.as existing.

Yeah, no way our crowds would drop that low!! maybe if we festered mid table for 4 or 5 seasons then maybe. Would be confident of around 10,000 most games other than the odd game during inclement weather at home to Burton on a Tuesday evening :D :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2023 20:15

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
hughsies no.1

Yeah, no way our crowds would drop that low!! maybe if we festered mid table for 4 or 5 seasons then maybe. Would be confident of around 10,000 most games other than the odd game during inclement weather at home to Burton on a Tuesday evening :D :D

Decent season and we could be pushing 14k

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 31 Mar 2023 20:21

Our last 2 season average attendances in the 3rd tier were 14,115 & 12,647

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 31 Mar 2023 20:28

We did well those seasons there is no certainty we would be up near the top. Even Pompey with a crap ground and much better support have drifted around mid table.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 31 Mar 2023 21:12

No certainty of anything. That's part of the fun of football.

Can't help feel some people are really buying heavily into the 'someone's just died' vibe that Sky Sports always employ when discussing possible relegation.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Mar 2023 22:38

People need a reality / perspective check.

The disappointment of any relegation hurts for a bit, but a couple of days later it passes.

Who in their right mind really cares what league we are in? It’s just a bloody game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Mar 2023 23:53

Royal Rother People need a reality / perspective check.

The disappointment of any relegation hurts for a bit, but a couple of days later it passes.

Who in their right mind really cares what league we are in? It’s just a bloody game.

True I tend not to care much.

But it actually does have material value. Champ contains the potential of PL. PL brings with it significantly more revenue for town with increased footfall, boosting local business, economy, land and house prices etc etc.. Not to mention pride. Falling to league one reduces all that and is one step further away from that goal.

But true I'll keep supporting whatever, and by far my favourite years supporting Reading have always been the third tier.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Apr 2023 01:35

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
hughsies no.1

Probably get 5-6k against teams like them and Accrington midweek who would bring 50 fans here

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Apr 2023 01:36

Winston Biscuit Our last 2 season average attendances in the 3rd tier were 14,115 & 12,647

That was when we were well run and near the top of the league

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Apr 2023 07:21

Royal_jimmy
Winston Biscuit Our last 2 season average attendances in the 3rd tier were 14,115 & 12,647

97/98 - relegation season from 2nd tier - average attendance 9,625

98/99 down in the 3rd tier we finish mid table - average attendance 12,113

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 01 Apr 2023 08:58

Reckon the ELF will wait till the end of the season now and see where we are. They will then deduct the points if it relegates us, if not, we will get them deducted next season. So we just need to get as many points as possible in the last eight games
Last edited by MR.CYNICAL on 01 Apr 2023 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Apr 2023 09:45

Winston Biscuit
Royal_jimmy

98/99 first season at mad stad though, so a load of new STH's - if we'd still been at Elm Park we'd have been around 6k

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Apr 2023 09:54

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2023 10:40

Mid Sussex Royal
Winston Biscuit
Royal_jimmy

98/99 first season at mad stad though, so a load of new STH's - if we'd still been at Elm Park we'd have been around 6k

Great. If we get relegated we won't be at Elm Park in the 90s.

We'll be at the Madejski in 2023, and our average attendance will not be 4 figures.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Apr 2023 10:51

Relegation would hit us hard. We have a fickle fan base, not a loyal one like teams such as Norwich have. We'd see smaller crowds which would be bad for revenue and budgets. I couldn't see many fans turning up for Shrewsbury at home on a cold Tuesday night

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Apr 2023 11:00

None of us know how relegation would go. Maybe we would finish bottom of L1, maybe we would win L1 and set a new points record, maybe crowds would go down in one of them scenarios, maybe up in the other.

763 posts