Surprise bid as Palace turn to Sidwell

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

Surprise bid as Palace turn to Sidwell

by Sir Dodger Royal » 24 Jul 2004 09:26

According to Dodger's media chums Palace are about to offer £2million for Steve Sidwell.

Having missed out on Cahill and not getting much joy with the Hammers after bidding £2.5mill for Carrick they now consider Sidwell would jump at the chance of Premiership football. No doubt the Madman would be interested in getting some dosh back and Powell would join Reading as a make weight part of the deal.

It doesn't sound good for the Royals but negotiations are to start over the weekend.

Stay webwise with Dodger. The man is backkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 24 Jul 2004 09:39

A Burb Yawn

So the contract he signed two weeks ago doesn't do anything then?

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 24 Jul 2004 09:39

Shouldn't this be in the 'Unfounded Rumours' section ?

Sir Dodger Royal

by Sir Dodger Royal » 24 Jul 2004 10:05

Contracts safeguard the player. They mean nothing for the Club but obviously help when agreeing transfer fees.

If a player wants to go then it happens plus for all we know he may have a clause in the contract regarding any enquiry from a Premiership club.

Real Facts. Real World. You know it makes senseeeeeeeeeeee

yappy

by yappy » 24 Jul 2004 10:13

no chance of him leaving, especially to Palace

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 24 Jul 2004 10:15

You have to admit that events over the long term have given Dodgers' pronouncements a fair amount of credibility.

I for one will be paying more attention to the old goat's insights this season, irrepressible wind-up merchant he may be at times.

But on this one Dodge I'd add a third option: "Don't know until your alarming rumour is confirmed"

If it's true we'll know soon enough ....

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 24 Jul 2004 11:13

Sir Dodger Royal we know he may have clause in the contract

That certainly is a shock revalation Roger me old pal, we know something is a possibility, what an eye opener.

How's Chris getting on these days Roger?

Spike
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: All views expressed are subject to Tredder's approval

by Spike » 24 Jul 2004 12:27

So Carrick doesn't get his move from West Ham to the premiership because West Ham refiuse the offer yet Dodger thinks Sidwell would jump at the chance despite having just committed his future to the club ?

Of course contracts mean players don't move at will, if JM says no way to this 'alleged' approach that is it.

SDR has not been right in thepast and little suggests he is close this time.

Coppell would rightly see it is a complete betrayal if his prize asset was let go just as he has his squad set.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jul 2004 12:46

If West Ham can stop Carrick leaving then then it may definatley be possible for Reading to stop Sidwell leaving.

Hope that's cleared things up.

Roger Costello

by Roger Costello » 24 Jul 2004 12:48

No one signs a new contract and then walks out on Reading, do they ??

Just 2-0
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Just 2-0 » 24 Jul 2004 13:04

Could be a good move all round, if the deal is right and Coppell gets the money for players, we have a strong midfield, and to lose Sidwell would not be the end of the world.

As is always said, everyone has his price, and why would we want to stop a player movinfg to the Prem, there may even be a clause allowing him to talk to Prem clubs, so long as we get a certain fee.

I believe West Ham are the other Prem club interested.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Jul 2004 13:06

It will be no great surprise if Palace make an approach for Sidwell. It goes with the territory when building a side good enough to get to the Prem.

However, on this occasion I don't think we'll have too much to worry about. Even if RFC were tempted by the offer (and I don't think they will be at this time of the season) I think Sidwell would turn it down for the same reason that, I imagine, made Cahill plump for Everton.

I have to say that I wish Palace well in their quest to avoid relegation. I mean no disrespect by saying that because we will have the same up hill struggle WHEN :wink: our chance arrives.

Sidders always comes across as a smart guy, and I think the time to worry is when a well established Premiership side comes in with a solid offer.

In the meantime, I believe we can take his signing of a 3 year contract to mean that, he intends to remain here for this season at least. I can't see him being tempted by one season's Prem footy at Palace when he has a good chance of the same with us and/or a move to a much bigger club at the end of the season.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 24 Jul 2004 15:00, edited 3 times in total.

Legend

by Legend » 24 Jul 2004 13:10

Woodcote Royal
In the meantime, I believe we can take his signing of a 3 year contract to mean that, he intends to remain here for this season at least, and certainly won't be tempted by one season's Prem footy at Palace when he has a good chance of the same with us and/or a move to a much bigger club at the end of the season.

Your best mate.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 24 Jul 2004 13:20

[quote="Woodcote Royal"]

Sidders always comes across as a smart guy, and I think the time to worry is when a well established Premiership side comes in with a solid offer.

Spot on - Sidwell's not gonna be tempted by the prospect of one soul-destroying season at the bottom of the Prem getting whipped every week. No disrespect, but any realistic Eagles fan knows in his heart of hearts that Palace will be the weakest team to have played in the top flight for many years - probably since Swindle Down.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Jul 2004 13:26

Don't bank on it. They have a fantastic manager.

fruits

by fruits » 24 Jul 2004 14:14

Royal Rother Don't bank on it. They have a fantastic manager.

I am not sure about the fantastic manager, he did all right at Oldham, did really well at Palace, but how will he be if they lose 5-6 consecutive matches which they will. Plenty of "fantastic" managers have been found out in the Premiership.

Candu

by Candu » 24 Jul 2004 14:49

I'd have been disappointed if they didn't inquire. I have admiration for how Palace are handling this promotion. Expect more of this as Sidwell's reputation is growing. Personally I think pardew is playing up for the fans and Palace will sweeten the deal for Carrick to 3M and he will be off. He is on high wages and money is tight in Hammerland.

Let's be honest, Carrick is a lightweight but creative luxury. Sidwell is the kind of player Palace need if they are going to battle.

Sunny D

by Sunny D » 25 Jul 2004 11:32

Just to get back to the topic in hand of Sidwell. was he not born and bred in Croyden, and a Palace fan as a kid ??

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that from one of his matchday program interviews. I dont think he will go, and I know we have seen similar types of rumours with Shorey and West Ham, but it does make you wonder whether he would think about it if SC told him about the enquiry.

Legend

by Legend » 25 Jul 2004 12:55

Sunny D Just to get back to the topic in hand of Sidwell. was he not born and bred in Croyden, and a Palace fan as a kid ??

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that from one of his matchday program interviews. I dont think he will go, and I know we have seen similar types of rumours with Shorey and West Ham, but it does make you wonder whether he would think about it if SC told him about the enquiry.

Indeed you are correct.

Sir Dodger Royal

by Sir Dodger Royal » 25 Jul 2004 15:56

From what I hear the enquiry was testing Reading's resolve in keeping Sidwell.

At this stage the Royals have not said *** off we are not interested.

Watch this space. Real Facts from the Main Mannnnnnnnn