RUMOUR - Eddie Johnson

160 posts
savage 4 england

RUMOUR - Eddie Johnson

by savage 4 england » 15 Nov 2006 18:27

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 013425.htm

[quote]Johnson is headed to England later this week to train with Reading with the English Premier League. He remains under contract with MLS and would have to be sold to transfer to Reading. Fellow forward Josh Wolff, however, is out of contract and is in Germany for a tryout with 1860 Munich of the second division.

“We’d love to have Josh here as well,â€

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 15 Nov 2006 19:12

Heard of him but haven't seen much of him at all. Anyone know what sort of player he is? And is Coppell likely to be able to work his magic on that petulant attitude he's apparently got?

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 15 Nov 2006 19:37

A genuine talent who could prove a terrific player. Chafes at authority and struggles to accept teammates' imperfections that affect his own performance, and ended his club season under in-house suspension.

Would really require proper handling on and off the pitch, and at this stage is in danger of wasting it all, but oh lordy me if it worked out...

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 15 Nov 2006 19:37

Good potential. Great speed, a strong strike, and can handle the ball pretty well - but the only consistent tests he's had were against MLS clubs.

As far as experience other than MLS he was part of the first team on some INTL friendlies leading-up to the WC but didn't score. I think he also had some time in some of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

He did have some playing time in the WC and when he was on the pitch, he really generated some excitement and scoring chances - that is to say of the meager chances the team had, he offered something.

A lot of folks here wanted to see more of his play.

I do think that the MLS would be willing to sell him - getting former MLS players into more established leagues does help to build credibilty. The league has a pretty meager salary cap so wages wouldn't be a problem. That plus his desire to prove himself could mean that a move is coming.

Coppell could definitely whip this guy into shape. But he could also be another Landon Donovan (good in the US, sucks elsewhere).

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 15 Nov 2006 19:47

Well he can't be any worse than Cobi Jones was here...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Nov 2006 19:52

Coppell is god.

He turns water into wine, and a player with the slightest potential into a star.

If he's good enough for Coppell, he's good enough for me.

Let's hope he does have something Coppell is looking for.

shaydee

by shaydee » 15 Nov 2006 19:58

he was all set for a move to Real Sociedad in August but a new owner came in at Kansas City the day before the move was to be finalized and nixed the deal.

He's very fast and athletic. His technical skills aren't the best but when he's on his game he puts the ball in the net.

He's had some injury and discipline problems the past few years. He has a HUGE ego and is very arrogant. I support my local MLS team and when we were making some comments to him about how awful he was this season he kept looking towards us and rubbing his fingers together in a way to say "Yea, but I'm rich."

He's best friends with Clint Dempsey and if the rumours of Dempsey coming in are true I wouldn't want them on the same side. Dempsey has a big ego but he backs it up on the field. The two of the them in the same dressing room could be a bad situation.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 15 Nov 2006 20:06

Having him on loan wouldn't do any harm.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Nov 2006 20:12

shaydee he was all set for a move to Real Sociedad in August but a new owner came in at Kansas City the day before the move was to be finalized and nixed the deal.

He's very fast and athletic. His technical skills aren't the best but when he's on his game he puts the ball in the net.

He's had some injury and discipline problems the past few years. He has a HUGE ego and is very arrogant. I support my local MLS team and when we were making some comments to him about how awful he was this season he kept looking towards us and rubbing his fingers together in a way to say "Yea, but I'm rich."

He's best friends with Clint Dempsey and if the rumours of Dempsey coming in are true I wouldn't want them on the same side. Dempsey has a big ego but he backs it up on the field. The two of the them in the same dressing room could be a bad situation.

Well that's a disappointment.

But Copps wouldn't be having any of that. Would soon put him in his place.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 Nov 2006 20:14

2 world wars, 1 world cup Coppell is god.

He turns water into wine, and a player with the slightest potential into a star.

Bollox..... Owusu Brooker the list goes on

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 15 Nov 2006 20:18

The 17 Bus

They were just shit

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Nov 2006 20:19

The 17 Bus

Read what I wrote. That's why he got rid of them.

:roll:

jerad

by jerad » 15 Nov 2006 20:30

lots of raw physical talent and plenty of potential to become a more refined player... but he's a real headcase. hopefully, having bobby there could ease him in (they've played together for years on youth and senior national teams), but coppell would still have to watch this guy and put him in his place.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 15 Nov 2006 21:08

He's good on Football Manager.

BillBrasky

by BillBrasky » 15 Nov 2006 22:31

Benfica put in a 4 million dollar bid for him sometime last year and MLS rejected it. He's been slumping ever since then. He's quite a talent, he just needs a change of scenery and a chance at a higher level. He's a boom or bust type player, at this point his value is a lot lower than 4 million.

Here's an article from last year, what's interesting is the bit about the ability to buy out the contract in January '07.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/grant_wahl/07/12/ej.salary/index.html

Royal Yank
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: A dry county in North Carolina... but close to the county line. WooHoo!

by Royal Yank » 15 Nov 2006 23:07

A talented, exciting player with an eye for goal, and when I have seen him play for the US, he almost invariably improves the team - Bruce Arena was crazy not to play him in their last game in the WC in a game they HAD to win. As a player I rate him, I saw him play against Jamaica earlier in the year and in an otherwise dull game, when he came on, the match came to life. Off the field, I don't know anything other than what is written here.

I think he is the type of player that Coppell likes to work with, raw talent, pace and energy, maybe just needs refining a little.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 16 Nov 2006 00:35

This will give the FM2007 community on here erections! :wink:

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 16 Nov 2006 00:37

PremAddict Good potential. Great speed, a strong strike, and can handle the ball pretty well - but the only consistent tests he's had were against MLS clubs.

As far as experience other than MLS he was part of the first team on some INTL friendlies leading-up to the WC but didn't score. I think he also had some time in some of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

He did have some playing time in the WC and when he was on the pitch, he really generated some excitement and scoring chances - that is to say of the meager chances the team had, he offered something.

A lot of folks here wanted to see more of his play.

I do think that the MLS would be willing to sell him - getting former MLS players into more established leagues does help to build credibilty. The league has a pretty meager salary cap so wages wouldn't be a problem. That plus his desire to prove himself could mean that a move is coming.

Coppell could definitely whip this guy into shape. But he could also be another Landon Donovan (good in the US, suckselsewhere).

Similar to that word then.

USRoyal17

by USRoyal17 » 16 Nov 2006 01:23

i will die and go to heaven if we are able to acquire Johnson...it was ridiculous how little he played in the WC...Arena is a complete and total idiot.

he looked great in all the friendlies leading up to it...didn't score but created a ton of chances.

turkish

by turkish » 16 Nov 2006 02:32

The same thing was said about Bobby after the Tottenham deal fell through. He had an awful final season in MLS and everyone questioned his attitude. Imagine getting a deal to play for Benfica and having it pulled from under you at the last minute. He played for Dallas then was traded to Kansas City before this past season because everyone thought he would leave during the summer. He almost went to WBA but again, it fell through.
I don't think his attitude is as bad as everyone states, he's just had some long term injuries and been teased with the chance of playing in Europe. And it's not that easy to get pumped up when you play in front of 8k people in a 65k seat stadium.

160 posts