SPECULATION - Players Leaving/Staying

203 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Matejovsky to Stay?

by Hoop Blah » 13 May 2008 16:13

wolsey
Coppell's Right Footed 11
papereyes I think it depends entirely on the Euros.

He's had a promising start to his English career, so its unlikely someone who watched, say, the Bolton game would think he's worth a punt.
I think it would be unlikely that he'd want to move, having only been here 6 months.

But a good Euros and the right bid will see him go.

Worrying aswell as rosicky and nedved will not be involved in the euros, means he may get more involvement although im not sure how far they will progress

Am I naive in thinking that the way that the club (and SSC in particular) have treated the players will encourage the likes of Marek, Bikey, Kitson, Doyle, Harper, Rosenior to stay?

The only players that I think are unretainable are: -

Shorey (with the benefit of hindsight should have gone in January)
Hunt (could be sold for more than his real value)
Lita (better getting a fee for him now, rather than losing him for nothing next year)

Plus the likes of Bennett, Oster (despite his best performance in a Reading shirt on Sunday), Halls, Brown who shouldn't probably been on the payroll this season

What way do you mean? Flogged like dead horses by not giving them enough strength and depth in the squad so that their work load is too much and their season tails off horribly and ends in relegation? Or do you mean the way they didn't show much ambition so that those players who showed they weren't up to the task were allowed to play out the rest of the season just because we care!!!

Don't forget these are basically the same group of players that had a collective hissy fit at the extent of the limited bonus' (yes the ones they signed up to at the start of the season) and pay rises they received by getting us into the Premiership in the first place.

Don't get too excited at positive noises coming from any of the players (bar maybe a couple) because if the right offer comes in for any of them they'll want to be off and the club will more than likely be keen to seel.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2008 16:15

i would expect more than half the squad to go if they get an offer from a prem club
but they wont.

for anyone at all to commit to this club after relegation would be a pretty outstanding gesture

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 13 May 2008 16:16

Its glad to hear Marek saying he wants to stay.

He could cause havoc next season with that extra bit of time on the ball and the slower defenders.

As has been said, the worst that can happen is that he has a great Euros and come back with an extra £5m on his price tag!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Players Leaving/Staying

by Wycombe Royal » 13 May 2008 16:17

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe To be honest an awful lot of clubs in Europe will be after Marek even if he just plays in the Euros.

There ain't many players you could get that would be better value. He'd do a job in any top European league and that fact he's playing for a Championship side will alert a lot of teams.

I mean FFS, wasn't Gary Breen training with Inter after one World Cup?

The Evening Post says anything up to 10 players going, with quotes from Hammond, basically along the lines of football clubs go in cycles and we need a clear out and new faces.

Matejovsky was a Czech international before we signed him and there as not a host of clubs vying for his signature. I don't think he'll be a standout player in Euro 2008 and certainly not enough to get an offer we will deem acceptable (we can dictate the terms due to his contract length).

As for the 10 players going, once you have included those that will be released, which will than likely include De La Cruz, Halls and Oster plus the odd younger player, 10 players leaving doesn't seem that many (5 left last summer).

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 May 2008 16:23

Where does it say he's actually staying? Could someone quote me that, thanks.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2008 16:23

Y21_Royal Its glad to hear Marek saying he wants to stay.

He could cause havoc next season with that extra bit of time on the ball and the slower defenders.

As has been said, the worst that can happen is that he has a great Euros and come back with an extra £5m on his price tag!

i believe its what you call a "win-win " situation

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 13 May 2008 16:28

FiNeRaIn Where does it say he's actually staying? Could someone quote me that, thanks.

"I don't know at all what will happen in the future, I don't see much into the club management. I believe though that they will want to return as soon as possible and I am sure we have the potential to achieve it."

The use of we here suggests that he has no intention of going anywhere.

It's dependant upon the club and if someone comes in for him with enough money, though.

The lack of a release clause is obviously beneficial to the club in terms of being able to dictate any terms should someone come in.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 May 2008 16:30

West Brom held onto Gera, and must have been better for it. Mind you, Hungry we're in a major international finals, so the interest in Marek might be higher. £5m might be pushing it, though - he only cost us £1.5m, and he's since been relegated, so that hardly raises his value.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 May 2008 16:31

zac naloen
FiNeRaIn Where does it say he's actually staying? Could someone quote me that, thanks.

"I don't know at all what will happen in the future, I don't see much into the club management. I believe though that they will want to return as soon as possible and I am sure we have the potential to achieve it."

The use of we here suggests that he has no intention of going anywhere.

It's dependant upon the club and if someone comes in for him with enough money, though.

The lack of a release clause is obviously beneficial to the club in terms of being able to dictate any terms should someone come in.

That's reading a lot between the lines for anyone, but a scientist like you that likes to see proof for eveything it's a hell of a leap of faith.

The we could just mean the club as a whole, with or without him involved.

At the end of the day you can't trust or believe a word that comes out of the players mouths because, on the whole, they're just spurting out what they think they should say given the circumstances.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2008 16:35

sorry
no release clause = no release unless someone comes in and offers enough money to make us part with him

i know hes thought of very highly by the management so theyll want to keep him

unless we have a new manager, who knows what theyll want to do

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 13 May 2008 16:35

That's reading a lot between the lines for anyone, but a scientist like you that likes to see proof for eveything it's a hell of a leap of faith.

At the end of the day you can't trust or believe a word that comes out of the players mouths because, on the whole, they're just spurting out what they think they should say given the circumstances.

Who ever said I'm a scientist?

My earlier comments are regards to the lack of release clause. I've made no comments about thinking he's staying other than that I hope he does.

I was just pointing out where people may have got the impression.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 May 2008 16:37

Row Z Royal The lack of a relegation release clause is a right touch.

GTFI

Credit where credit is due then to whoever negotiated his contract. Hammond?

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 13 May 2008 16:41

Great if he stays. By FAR the best player at the club and will rip defences wide open next season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 May 2008 16:44

zac naloen

Who ever said I'm a scientist?

My earlier comments are regards to the lack of release clause. I've made no comments about thinking he's staying other than that I hope he does.

I was just pointing out where people may have got the impression.

The way you disect posts on AE and want to see incontravertable proof regarding pretty much anything anyone ever posts. I thought you always pulled out scientific journals and research etc too but I might be getting confused.

I didn't necessarily mean a scientist by proffession, more by nature!

You gave the quote in response to the question 'where's he said he's staying?' so I presumed that was your evidence of him saying it. If it wasn't then I do apologise.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 13 May 2008 16:46

I'm of a technical and logical mindset. I made sure to highlight the word suggest in my post for a reason ;)

But it's not me that pulls out the journals. That would be the actual scientists :P

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 May 2008 16:49

brendywendy i would expect more than half the squad to go if they get an offer from a prem club
but they wont.

for anyone at all to commit to this club after relegation would be a pretty outstanding gesture
I was thinking this earlier. If players pledge to stay at this club, let's hope it is because they want to help us go straight back up and also because they'd rather be part of our "little family" than a small cog in a big wheel (like Sidders).

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 13 May 2008 17:02

In response to Hoop Blah

I don't profess to understand the Psyche of a Premier League footballer, but,

Do you think that any of the players that I mentioned were not appreciative of the way that the club publically handled the personal issues that they faced during the season?

Or, requested to be rested during the season,

or, would have been happier to see others playing in their place in order to retain their Premier League status?

Or, do not feel (partly) responsible for the loss of status?

Or are our players (despite my/our desire to view them as more ethically/morally sound than normal Prem players), just money grabbing, short termist bastards after all?

(NB this is a precis of a potentially far more cogent response which was lost as my PC decided to choose to take it's daily crash, and I can't be arsed/ don't have the recall capability to re-produce ad verbatim)

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 May 2008 17:20

brendywendy so thatll be the oldies

brynn?DLC?

the useless

halls,

and those that want out- shorey, hunt, lita maybe?

thats six

only takes a couple of others and thats the ten

seems about right to me

Immense Fee
Sinko
Sodya
Stick

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2008 17:23

thatll do, wouldnt be too unhappy with that for next year

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 May 2008 17:52

I think the players that are good enough to be wanted by other Premiership clubs will be gutted that they're nolonger Premiership footballers. I bet over the season they were wondering why the club was so meekly letting Premiership football slip through their fingers.

I'm sure the likes of Oster, Long, Gunnarsson, Ivar, Murty etc etc are more than happy that they got to play more games than perhaps they should've done this season, but I'm sure they've give up a few of those appearances to have avoided the drop.

No doubt they're also appreciative of the support and guidence Coppell and the rest of the club gave them in times of trouble. But I don't think for one minute that that will keep any of them at the club if an acceptable offer comes in from a Premiership outfit over the summer.

203 posts