RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
Bill Oddie's Beard

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 08 Jul 2008 09:40

UpNorth Daily Star says Harper is not happy that Reading have put a £5.5m price tag on his head to scare off Prem clubs.

Can't see anyone paying that sort of sum. Looks like we could be stuck with Harper for a while longer. Yet another player who could become disenchanted with life at Reading.

I suppose the Daily Star is renowned for it's accurate stories...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jul 2008 10:46

thought we were holding out for 4 million
which is fair-no point in offloading on the cheap when we dont have to

5.5 would be pushing it slightly, but thats from a shit source

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jul 2008 11:35

UpNorth Daily Star says Harper is not happy that Reading have put a £5.5m price tag on his head to scare off Prem clubs.

Can't see anyone paying that sort of sum. Looks like we could be stuck with Harper for a while longer. Yet another player who could become disenchanted with life at Reading.

I don't think Harper could stay disenchanted for long where football is concerned.

I can understand him being keen on a move back to the Prem, but if it doesn't happen I think he's one that would knuckle down and get on with it without too much fuss. He just seems to live for playing too much to let it effect him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jul 2008 12:28

'greed

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 08 Jul 2008 12:31

I always think of 'The Ringer' when I see this photo.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jul 2008 12:56

what a ledge

glad i got to tell him so before a potential move

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2008 16:08

I like Harps' style of play- when he's doing it well. The way he arrives on the edge of the box just when he's needed... marvellous.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 08 Jul 2008 18:28

Think out of all the potential players that could leave Reading I think the energy and the effort that Harper brings to Reading would be missed the most! Players are replacable, but Harper always faught for the cause, and when he had a long period out of the team couple of seasons back knuckled down, did the hard work nd got rewarded for his efforts, I think he will do the same again then get a bumper contract if and when we go back up

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jul 2008 19:00

I'm not overly keen on Harper's style of play if I'm brutally honest, certainly when he isn't on form and is crab Harper. I'd like him to be more attacking in play. But I love his attitude and think he brings masses to the team that isn't quantifiable or easily recognisable.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 09 Jul 2008 09:14

mikey0406 Think out of all the potential players that could leave Reading I think the energy and the effort that Harper brings to Reading would be missed the most! Players are replacable, but Harper always faught for the cause, and when he had a long period out of the team couple of seasons back knuckled down, did the hard work nd got rewarded for his efforts, I think he will do the same again then get a bumper contract if and when we go back up

I agree. I remember an incident that sums up what he means to the team spirit from a few years ago. In a Championship match against Ipwich (I think!) at the Mad Stad, tense, both teams going for a playoff place. 85 minutes ( might even have been later) and they score and all the teams heads go down and the crowd is silenced.

Harper runs back from mIdfield, picks the ball out of the net and sprints to the centre spot with everyone else standing around. First possible opportunity he kicks off and we score with seconds remaining.

If he goes we will miss him.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 09 Jul 2008 12:05

one simple question from me.......Does he have his own parking space? 8)

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jul 2008 12:08

This one will pick up now methinks with Boateng about to go to Hull.

Colchester Royal

by Colchester Royal » 09 Jul 2008 12:10

Let him go. He's a headless chicken and he's not skillful enough. Any news on Matejovsky's injury layout?

UpperWestMan

by UpperWestMan » 09 Jul 2008 12:19

Afternoon all...

I can't say that I agree completely with the last post from Colchester Royal but I have found myself frustrated with Harper in the past. He seems far to happy with making a non productive sideways or backwards pass at times. I do however, think that he can be the pulse of this Reading side and has scored some excellent goals. If he goes it will be difficult to replace the spark that he can bring to the team, particularly as I can't see us making any significant signings before the season starts....

Colchester Royal

by Colchester Royal » 09 Jul 2008 12:23

UpperWestMan Afternoon all...

I can't say that I agree completely with the last post from Colchester Royal but I have found myself frustrated with Harper in the past. He seems far to happy with making a non productive sideways or backwards pass at times. I do however, think that he can be the pulse of this Reading side and has scored some excellent goals. If he goes it will be difficult to replace the spark that he can bring to the team, particularly as I can't see us making any significant signings before the season starts....

He's not the pulse that we've been missing Sidwell left. I think that Matejovsky is your answer to the missing pulse in our midfield. He's a quality player and i think if you saw Matejovsky last season, then you'd agree with me. He's an attacking player i know but he's a Sidwell in the opposing team's box. So, Harper in my opinion can go and then bring someone in to replace him, who is a defending midfielder. Matejovsky will be the Sidwell behind the strikers and yes, we'll be back in the PL the season after this one. URZZZZZ

UpperWestMan

by UpperWestMan » 09 Jul 2008 13:42

Colchester,

Despite my 'newbie' status I have been supporing The Royals for the last 24 years...... 8) I have seen Matejovsky play and I think that he shows great promise. What he will need is a couple of decent strikers in front of him that have a bit of vision and good movement. He strikes me as a player that will be very effective if he's allowed a little time on the ball and can play it into feet.
My arguement is whether or not his personality and energy on the field will be as infectious as Harpers.....

Colchester Royal

by Colchester Royal » 09 Jul 2008 13:51

'twill be my friend.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 09 Jul 2008 13:57

Megson was just on SSN

Asked if he was after Harper "Unfair to comment on another team's players."

Didn't say no though.

Colchester Royal

by Colchester Royal » 09 Jul 2008 13:59

That Friday Feeling Megson was just on SSN

Asked if he was after Harper "Unfair to comment on another team's players."

Didn't say no though.

Fair play to MegsLOLn but i reckon he's after Harps. He would've said 'No' if he wasn't. He's blatently got him on the buying list.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 09 Jul 2008 14:10

everyone goes on about harper making "non-productive"sideways passes, one of the key fundamentals in football is keep posession, if you have the ball the other team can't score if they can't score you can't loose, but you can win!Christ mcghee taught us that!you dont always have to make a defense splitting pass just because you play in midfield!

944 posts