SPECULATION - Forwards

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

SPECULATION - Forwards

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jun 2008 14:57

I'm sure we're likely to see some changes upfront for us over the summer.

One area I think we lacked last year was we didn't have a big battering ram type centre forward and having that big lump upfront might be even more useful in the supposedly more physical Championship.

There is an experienced, big and strong centre forward, who scored more goals for a Premiership club last season than Doyle and Lita combined, that is about to be put on the transfer list by his current Champsionship club. He's 30 years old, not slow, but never the most prolific.

Marcus Bent anybody?

Any other potential targets to pass a bit more time before we see our real targets emerge, and then sign for someone else.

Fezza

Re: SPECULATION - Forwards

by Fezza » 10 Jun 2008 15:34

Southbank Old Boy I'm sure we're likely to see some changes upfront for us over the summer.

One area I think we lacked last year was we didn't have a big battering ram type centre forward and having that big lump upfront might be even more useful in the supposedly more physical Championship.

There is an experienced, big and strong centre forward, who scored more goals for a Premiership club last season than Doyle and Lita combined, that is about to be put on the transfer list by his current Champsionship club. He's 30 years old, not slow, but never the most prolific.

Marcus Bent anybody?

Any other potential targets to pass a bit more time before we see our real targets emerge, and then sign for someone else.

Doubt Bent would be interested, and if he was available I'd see Stoke or Hull as the more liklely destination.

If one of our misfiring strikers has attracted any interest and leaves I'd hope we'd take a look at Nugent or Ameobi.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jun 2008 16:08

havent newcastle sold ameobi for 4 million today?

chandog

by chandog » 10 Jun 2008 17:10

Nugent has said he is happy to stay at pompey even if he doesnt get many games
This kind of attitude automatically rules us out of signing him
We could never offer him what he is getting paid at pompey

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 12 Jun 2008 11:21

Today's Daily Mirror reports that Bobby Zamora is on the verge of signing for QPR. I can't beleive we're not in for the lad!

However this may indicate that Coppell expects no changes with our four strikers this summer. Can we realistically improve on Kitson, Doyle, Lita and Long? I feel strengthening other areas will be more important.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 12 Jun 2008 11:55

more strength on the wings and centre midfield are the priorities IMO. Zamora would be a good signing but I can't see Reading wanting to pay his wages as they're tight.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 12 Jun 2008 11:57

Backwards step for Zamora...
What the hell happened to him?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 12 Jun 2008 13:20

Harry Carry more strength on the wings and centre midfield are the priorities IMO. Zamora would be a good signing but I can't see Reading wanting to pay his wages as they're tight.

According to The Star his wages (£15k) will be split with both QPR and WHU paying half.

Again, shows how little some Premiership players are paid in comparison to the top bracket, despite all the stories about how silly average wages are.

(thats assuming The Star are relatively close to the truth with the numbers involved)

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 13 Jun 2008 16:05

Southbank Old Boy
Harry Carry more strength on the wings and centre midfield are the priorities IMO. Zamora would be a good signing but I can't see Reading wanting to pay his wages as they're tight.

According to The Star his wages (£15k) will be split with both QPR and WHU paying half.

Again, shows how little some Premiership players are paid in comparison to the top bracket, despite all the stories about how silly average wages are.

(thats assuming The Star are relatively close to the truth with the numbers involved)

Two things that couldnt be further apart

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 09 Jul 2008 19:35

Fulham have been given permission by West Ham to speak to Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jul 2008 23:06

Whilst I won't argue that we could use a striker with a bit of height and ariel presence other than Kitson. I rather feel that "big battering ram" strikers are a thing of the past. And rightly so.

We could do with another Sheringham style striker to replace/cover for Kitson. We certainly don't need another shortish pacey striker who's good in the box. Currently having 3

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jul 2008 08:40

Ian Royal Whilst I won't argue that we could use a striker with a bit of height and ariel presence other than Kitson. I rather feel that "big battering ram" strikers are a thing of the past. And rightly so.

We could do with another Sheringham style striker to replace/cover for Kitson. We certainly don't need another shortish pacey striker who's good in the box. Currently having 3

Drogba, Abebayor, Carew, Yakubu/Anichibe, McBride, Jones, Bent/Heskey, Davies, Benjani

Hardly out of fashion.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2008 17:52

Southbank Old Boy
Ian Royal Whilst I won't argue that we could use a striker with a bit of height and ariel presence other than Kitson. I rather feel that "big battering ram" strikers are a thing of the past. And rightly so.

Drogba, Abebayor, Carew, Yakubu/Anichibe, McBride, Jones, Bent/Heskey, Davies, Benjani

Hardly out of fashion.

THere's rather a lot more to most of them than big battering rams IMO.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 10 Jul 2008 18:04

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy

Hardly out of fashion.

Most of them were very effective at battering Rams last season

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Jul 2008 20:17

Roger the Rabbit
Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy

Hardly out of fashion.

Most of them were very effective at battering Rams last season

Steve Howard used to be a battering Ram.

Calling Adebayor a battering ram is very inaccurate. He's tall but rather weak. Drogba, Yakubu, Carew and Benjani are all probably better with the ball at their feet. Davies, Jones and Heskey are the only one who I feel are just battering rams- though Hesket goes about his job in a different way to the tradional target man.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2008 21:07

thats the way I was thinking.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Jul 2008 22:54

Daily Express today said Fulham have agreed a fee of £6.5 million for Zamora :shock:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jul 2008 10:07

Southbank Old Boy

Hardly out of fashion.

but not so long ago every team had at least one

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 11 Jul 2008 10:20

Coppell's Right Footed 11 Daily Express today said Fulham have agreed a fee of £6.5 million for Zamora :shock:

If that's true West Ham are laughing. I'd have thought £3 million would have been a lot for Zamora.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2008 13:16

Well Lita must be worth close to £5m then and Kitson and Doyle at least the same as Zamora