RUMOUR - Carlos Edwards + Cash for Hunt

Coppell's Right Footed 11

RUMOUR - Carlos Edwards + Cash for Hunt

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 02 Jul 2008 12:26

Rumours coming out of a good friend of mine who is a die hard Sunderland supporter has heard that Stephen Hunt will sign for them on thursday (tommorrow).

The deal is believed to be £2.5 million + Carlos Edwards?

Would take that and would also give us a decent right winger for the season..

Watch this space......

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Carlos Edwards + Cash for Hunt

by Norfolk Royal » 02 Jul 2008 12:30

I'd take that.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 02 Jul 2008 12:31

I'd take the 2.5m without Carlos Edwards, so I can't say I disapprove too much. Edwards is our type of player, for sure.

IIRC, I think he can play at right back too?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Jul 2008 12:33

Fitness remains a question mark as far as Edwards is concerned but as a player i would be more than happy to have him here.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 02 Jul 2008 12:34

Yes, he broke his leg in December and is nearly 30. Hmmmm.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jul 2008 12:37

would be a very good deal-hope this ones a goer

and would match my prediction of someone going, coming in on the same day this week
as well as the new shirts

+ i dont like losing players ever

but im impressed at the way we seem to be ensuring if they do go, its totally on our terms,
bringing in very good revenue, and / or good players in positions we need them in.

this "deal" and certainly what is coming out over the harper negotiations shows we arent being a soft touch, lieing down and just letting these guys go

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Jul 2008 12:41

Didn't realise that Edwards was quite that old.

I'd still be happy with that deal though, as long as our estemed medical team pass him as fit that is.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 02 Jul 2008 12:48

Sold!

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 02 Jul 2008 12:59

Norfolk Royal Yes, he broke his leg in December and is nearly 30. Hmmmm.

We'd have been happy with Little at 32, though. Broken legs often mend stronger than the original bone, so hopefully he'll be OK. Break a leg, Carlos!

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 02 Jul 2008 13:03

Haven't Sunderland still got some out of favour guy called Halford who plays on the right?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jul 2008 13:06

Yeah, I'd take that signing.

If Hunt goes, which seems like a big possibility we definitley need both a right and left winger to add to a central midfielder.

Even if Harper, Marek & Hunt all stay it could still be a very new look midfield. I still think seeing as we basically have no reliable good wingers who can cross left, that it would be a good idea to shift to a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1. Perfect time to try it.

Marek - Bikey - Harper would have enough steel and creativity to batter championship midfields.

Kitson supported by two goalscoring winger / forwards would also work perfectly IMO.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 02 Jul 2008 13:12

Agent Balti I'd take the 2.5m without Carlos Edwards, so I can't say I disapprove too much. Edwards is our type of player, for sure.

I would have taken Carlos Edwards without the cash! If this is true then it's pretty good business imo, providing he stays fit, Edwards is a quality player and technically much better than Hunt. Add the £2.5m to that and we're laughing :lol:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Jul 2008 13:21

Ian Royal Yeah, I'd take that signing.

If Hunt goes, which seems like a big possibility we definitley need both a right and left winger to add to a central midfielder.

Even if Harper, Marek & Hunt all stay it could still be a very new look midfield. I still think seeing as we basically have no reliable good wingers who can cross left, that it would be a good idea to shift to a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1. Perfect time to try it.

Marek - Bikey - Harper would have enough steel and creativity to batter championship midfields.

Kitson supported by two goalscoring winger / forwards would also work perfectly IMO.

Although that looks pretty strong in the middle of the park Kitson isn't very good at playing upfront on his own so I'm not sure it would work.

Kitson just isn't quick enough to be the one upfront on his own, and too much of his game is about clever touches to his strike partner you just lose all his good play through having nobody up there to play off his flicks and passes.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jul 2008 13:30

Ian Royal Yeah, I'd take that signing.

hadnt thought about changing systems-blinkered RFC two wingers 442 only

but that would maybe be a good idea depending on the personel

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 02 Jul 2008 13:34

Interesting that one of the very strong things that came out of Euro 2008 was teams sticking to a system they believed in (Spain and Holland were the two I saw mentioned in an article) and not constantly changing them - especially not changingthem to try and accomodate individuals.
I'm not a great believer in 'systems' - send the players out to play and forget messing their minds up with whatever the subtle difference between 451 and 433 is (not a lot in reality !).

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Jul 2008 13:36

Roger the Rabbit Interesting that one of the very strong things that came out of Euro 2008 was teams sticking to a system they believed in (Spain and Holland were the two I saw mentioned in an article) and not constantly changing them - especially not changingthem to try and accomodate individuals.
I'm not a great believer in 'systems' - send the players out to play and forget messing their minds up with whatever the subtle difference between 451 and 433 is (not a lot in reality !).

The alternative view is that the Germans changed their system half way through the tournament, apparently because I didn't watch too many of their games so wouldn't know.

Players win you games, systems can only help get the best out of them.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 02 Jul 2008 13:40

Southbank Old Boy
Roger the Rabbit Interesting that one of the very strong things that came out of Euro 2008 was teams sticking to a system they believed in (Spain and Holland were the two I saw mentioned in an article) and not constantly changing them - especially not changingthem to try and accomodate individuals.

The alternative view is that the Germans changed their system half way through the tournament, apparently because I didn't watch too many of their games so wouldn't know.

Players win you games, systems can only help get the best out of them.

Fair point re the Germans, England have done the same in the past but both with them and us it was pretty much desperation that caused it rather than a conscious plan.

Agree with the distinction between players and systems, but I also think systems can stifle players and give them an excuse to not think for themselves.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 02 Jul 2008 13:42

Apparently the Dutch players didn't like Van Basten's system, so they devised their own in training and he went with that!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Jul 2008 14:15

I'd take £2.5million + Jonathan Edwards so to get Carlos is a bit of a bonus.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jul 2008 14:19

Bill Oddie's Beard Apparently the Dutch players didn't like Van Basten's system, so they devised their own in training and he went with that!

ahhh the england world cup winning rugby teams system