RUMOUR - Sölvi Ottesen

141 posts
Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: RUMOUR - Sölvi Ottesen

by Row Z Royal » 21 Jul 2009 08:45

bobby m's syrup It's the silly season and this is a rumour and gossip thread. A little sad to see such able and articulate posters at 'handbags' all the same.

Mr H Harris WHY IS IT ALWAYS ME?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Jul 2009 11:11

Snowball Dear Brendan,

As Chief You-Tube Scout for Reading FC I would like to recommend Solvi Ottensen.

I have rigorously studied 2 minutes and 44 seconds of his play, AND another 14 seconds of action.

Consider the work I put in on this, Brendan, how I absolutely PORED over this long, detailed, analysis
which, had there been another 2 seconds would have totaled three whole minutes.

In detail I would say, Christ he looks even more psychotic than Bikey at his worst. Gotta be a minimum of two reds a season over the way he plays.
He certainly looks good, but I'm still worried by the lunging tackles and little kicks.

As you well know, Brendan, having played and coached for a few decades, and sometimes actually attended live games,
you view my opinions highly (as you should)

Exactly what Coppell did with Kebe and Fae and what roaring successes they were/are.

Both utter MINCE.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2009 11:41

Terminal Boardom
Hoop Blah Nice clips, but you really can't judge any player from a few minutes on You Tube, let alone a defender who's main job is to be consistent and do a job over 90 minutes.

So what is the frigging point in posting links to clips?

I don't think there is much point to it to be honest. Do you?

It can give you a taste of the way a player might play I guess, but only if you know that the clips are representative of the players game.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Jul 2009 12:50

Hoop Blah
Terminal Boardom
Hoop Blah Nice clips, but you really can't judge any player from a few minutes on You Tube, let alone a defender who's main job is to be consistent and do a job over 90 minutes.

So what is the frigging point in posting links to clips?

I don't think there is much point to it to be honest. Do you?

It can give you a taste of the way a player might play I guess, but only if you know that the clips are representative of the players game.

I would like to think that there is enough intelligence within HNA for this to be the case. If not, does this mean that every post referring to a bit of youtube needs to be caveatted to the hilt? I dont think so!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 21 Jul 2009 12:54

Half the posters on this thread seem to be on their periods. :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2009 14:44

Terminal Boardom I would like to think that there is enough intelligence within HNA for this to be the case. If not, does this mean that every post referring to a bit of youtube needs to be caveatted to the hilt? I dont think so!

Plenty of posts seem to be judging him purely on the 3 minutes of you tube highlights and claiming he'd be a good addition blah blah blah. I think one muppet even said he'd prefer to see him playing in midfield off the back of the video.

My post was just bringing a bit of reality back into things.

If that's over kill for you then I do apologise!!!!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Jul 2009 16:24

Hoop Blah
Terminal Boardom I would like to think that there is enough intelligence within HNA for this to be the case. If not, does this mean that every post referring to a bit of youtube needs to be caveatted to the hilt? I dont think so!

Plenty of posts seem to be judging him purely on the 3 minutes of you tube highlights and claiming he'd be a good addition blah blah blah. I think one muppet even said he'd prefer to see him playing in midfield off the back of the video.

My post was just bringing a bit of reality back into things.

If that's over kill for you then I do apologise!!!!

That was my point, too. One thing to think, "Interesting..." another to start
a debate on quality/position/expected number of cards, based on less than
three minutes of highlights

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jul 2009 17:25

The majority of people posting on this thread have clearly taken into account it's a limited amount of footage and an incomplete picture. Very few have over-reacted based on the footage, but there are just as many, if not more (some obviously for their own agenda), misinterpreting comments as being sweeping final judgements. Rather than the first impressions they actually are.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Jul 2009 19:50

My impression watching the clip was that he tended to dive in. Could be a bit of a liability knowing what the stanbdard of referreeing is.

That aside, he looked composed and comfortable on the ball and shoed some pace - realtive, of course, to the player he was up against. What we dont know was whether the player he went past was a clone of Martin Hicks or Michael Gilkes.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 21 Jul 2009 20:04

Dont think it really matters - we arent going to sign him so that the end of that

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Jul 2009 21:47

Is this the most boring pre-season or what?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jul 2009 21:54

Terminal Boardom My impression watching the clip was that he tended to dive in. Could be a bit of a liability knowing what the stanbdard of referreeing is.

That aside, he looked composed and comfortable on the ball and shoed some pace - realtive, of course, to the player he was up against. What we dont know was whether the player he went past was a clone of Martin Hicks or Michael Gilkes.

That was my impression. I don't tend to pay much attention to a Youtube clip because there's very little context but it does raise eyebrows that a 3 minute "highlight" clip shows 90 seconds of diving in and committing professional fouls. Fair enough if the player concerned is Vinnie Jones but a player dubbed the best defender in Scandanavia? What do I know though, I've never heard of the player.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jul 2009 01:02

From Despair To Where?
Terminal Boardom My impression watching the clip was that he tended to dive in. Could be a bit of a liability knowing what the stanbdard of referreeing is.

That was my impression. I don't tend to pay much attention to a Youtube clip because there's very little context but it does raise eyebrows that a 3 minute "highlight" clip shows 90 seconds of diving in and committing professional fouls. Fair enough if the player concerned is Vinnie Jones but a player dubbed the best defender in Scandanavia? What do I know though, I've never heard of the player.

How many Skandinavian players under 26 playing in Skandinavia can you name then?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jul 2009 16:46

Snowball
From Despair To Where?

How many Skandinavian players under 26 playing in Skandinavia can you name then?

None. Were is Skandinavia? Does it exist? Muppett!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jul 2009 17:43

From Despair To Where?

There was at least one challenge that actually made me wince and I wouldn't be surprised to see punished with a red card.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jul 2009 17:57

Just watched the footage again quite closely and a few serious comments.

He looks skillful and quick. He seems to go to ground a lot and lunge at the ball. The only clip of him going for a header he misses the ball and nails a player. Clearly this doesn't say he's bad at heading, but it certainly doesn't tell us he's any good and that is important for a centreback. There are at least two badly timed or very late challenges.

The problem with a strong quick player who likes to lunge in, is it's quite difficult to control a lunge at speed. The faster you go and the further out you lunge from, the less chance you have of pulling out and the greater the chance of getting it wrong slightly. As we've seen, miss-judge a lunging challenge slightly and even if there isn't a serious injury, you've got a good chance of seeing a red. (Kitson, Utd opening game relegation season)

Now the footage is obviously to show that he is hard predominantly, so it may be exaggerating his strong tackles. On that showing alone I would be concerned about his temperament and decision making. On the other hand he clearly has strength, skill, speed and determination. All of which are invaluable characteristics.

As I've said, I'm inclined to say no on that, with an expected price tag of ~£1m. BUT I've always said if the scouts think a player is good then I trust their judgment. They do get it wrong though. And I will suport almost any player who does sign for us and gets on the pitch. Until they demonstrate to me that they are poor.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jul 2009 18:09

Skandinavia is a perfectly acceptable spelling of Scandinavia

Scandinavia / Skandinavia

Welcome to Legends of Skandinavia

Skandinavia definition of Skandinavia in the Free Online Encyclopedia.
Encyclopedia article about Skandinavia. Information about Skandinavia in the Columbia Encyclopedia, Computer Desktop Encyclopedia, computing dictionary.

Your Oil and Gas News - ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS granted ...
A leading source for Oil and Gas industry news, reports and project awards in the global market place.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 22 Jul 2009 18:12

Not that there is anything wrong with a good discussion about a players ability or merits but surely since this is bassed on one artical and considering the other clubs mentioned being interested in him there is no chance he is coming here anyway.............

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jul 2009 18:17

Archies Volley II Not that there is anything wrong with a good discussion about a players ability or merits but surely since this is bassed on one artical and considering the other clubs mentioned being interested in him there is no chance he is coming here anyway.............

Added to Stokie's previous reliability = I wouldn't hold my breath.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 22 Jul 2009 18:23

Ian Royal
Archies Volley II Not that there is anything wrong with a good discussion about a players ability or merits but surely since this is bassed on one artical and considering the other clubs mentioned being interested in him there is no chance he is coming here anyway.............

Added to Stokie's previous reliability = I wouldn't hold my breath.

Stokie called both Gylfi and Illugason. Even with four or five fails, that gives him a much better percentage than pretty much anyone else on the board.

141 posts