Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

by Ian Royal » 19 Jul 2009 19:01

premiership_bound From Getreading

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... oan_switch

"Negotiations for Watford striker Tommy Smith have all but stopped as the club have not gone back with an improved offer after their bid of £750,000 was flatly rejected."

So no £1M ish bid then.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Don't do £1m pounders anymore - Chairmans hand shakes too much when pen hovers over cheque - amazingly its quite controlled when writing cheques for £300k players or £5m statues

(.)Boobies(.) "I had heard we went back with a new bid, this was apparently accepted on Monday, but Watford have been haggling for more in the add ons side of the deal. (no idea if there has been a conclusion on that yet) Smith, I'm told, has held talks with Reading - no idea how long for or how they're going though. I haven't heard anything about the what the new transfer fee is, but the £1.2m you say does seem about right, with a little cherry on top if we earn promotion."

My post was based on a very reliable source and good friend.
This is Reading playing hard ball and us upping the anti as Russo continues to mess us about. Watford have a player that wants out, there is good money on the table, but the chairman wants to be as awkward as he possibly can be.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 27 Aug 2009 14:27, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by Ian Royal » 19 Jul 2009 19:03

Geekins I don't want Tommy Smith so i'm pleased.

Super_horns No Smith for either of our friendlies tomorrow..club say he is injured but make of that what you will.

One Beer is never enough. Dave Kitson was 'injured' became for our friendlies at the start of last year.............. If your club say he's injured, I'm sure he is. Mr Russo wouldnt want anything to reflect on his integrity, would he?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jul 2009 19:06

Super Kevin Bremner! Smith is signing for Reading on Tuesday.

Haven't got a clue what the fee is because I forgot to ask, but exciting news and I'm pleased as punch.

Ian Royal His signing has been coming for a while now. Whether you really have a source or not, and whether it will actually happen on tuesday or not, I have no idea.

But as long as it happens within the next couple of weeks its very good news.

Royalee Great news if/when it goes through.

Consider it a public service after being a major contributer to the ruining of the other thread. Everything relevant I could find going back about 5 pages.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 Jul 2009 19:08

I do hope we've not spent silly money on what is in essence 1 year of a contract though...he'd better be good as there's zero re-sale value on him.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 19 Jul 2009 19:13

Ian Royal
Super Kevin Bremner! Smith is signing for Reading on Tuesday.

Haven't got a clue what the fee is because I forgot to ask, but exciting news and I'm pleased as punch.

Ian Royal His signing has been coming for a while now. Whether you really have a source or not, and whether it will actually happen on tuesday or not, I have no idea.

But as long as it happens within the next couple of weeks its very good news.

Royalee Great news if/when it goes through.

Consider it a public service after being a major contributer to the ruining of the other thread. Everything relevant I could find going back about 5 pages.

So we're all agreed we're happy if it goes through then? :lol:

Good effort SKB, I actually though I was reading one of that twat's posts until I glanced across.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 Jul 2009 19:15

What was that about an un-ruined thread?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jul 2009 19:17

Agent Balti What was that about an un-ruined thread?

Simple way round it. Everyone Ignore SKB. It's only one post. Either that or report it to the mods to have it deleted. I'm sure Platy would oblige.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 19 Jul 2009 19:56

I am coming round to the idea of signing Tommy Smith. Before I wasn't sure, but he did score a lot of goals under Rodgers at Watford last season, and having seen Shane Long yesterday I think we do need another striker. Although Church looked good and obviously Noel will be back soon.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Jul 2009 21:06

Please can we not sign Smith, he is not a striker, he is a winger, and we could play Kebe on the left. assuming Hunt goes

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 19 Jul 2009 21:13

Harpers So Solid Crew Please can we not sign Smith, he is not a striker, he is a winger, and we could play Kebe on the left. assuming Hunt goes

Why would we do that? Kebe's shit.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Jul 2009 21:16

4-3-3 is dependant on technically efficient wingers. We don't have many of those atm.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Jul 2009 21:43

Royalee
Harpers So Solid Crew Please can we not sign Smith, he is not a striker, he is a winger, and we could play Kebe on the left. assuming Hunt goes

I wonder if BR will be telling Kebe that? I seem to rcall a few saying that when he played on the left he looked ok, and certainly better than on the right.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Jul 2009 21:44

winchester_royal 4-3-3 is dependant on technically efficient wingers. We don't have many of those atm.

you mistake wingers for wide players, the best can cut in or go wide, ala Little.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jul 2009 21:46

I'm not massively enamoured of Kebe, but he could be a big player.

Personally (assuming Smith can play on the left - a big if) I'd be inclinded to go with a forward line of:

Henry................................Smith
...................NHunt

With Kebe and Long/Church on the bench.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Jul 2009 21:53

7 subs now ian, so easier to have more options.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jul 2009 22:03

Harpers So Solid Crew 7 subs now ian, so easier to have more options.

good point. Church & Long then.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 19 Jul 2009 22:06

Harpers So Solid Crew
Royalee

I wonder if BR will be telling Kebe that? I seem to rcall a few saying that when he played on the left he looked ok, and certainly better than on the right.

I bet he's trying to talk him up and give him confidence as a good manager would. I bet deep down he realises he's not up to it though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jul 2009 09:11

Ian Royal I'm not massively enamoured of Kebe, but he could be a big player.

Personally (assuming Smith can play on the left - a big if) I'd be inclinded to go with a forward line of:

Henry................................Smith
...................NHunt

With Kebe and Long/Church on the bench.

I'm not sure if Rodgers see's Smith as playing through the middle or out wide. I'd imagine it's a bit of both to be honest, but if he is going to be playing out wide it will be on the right not on the left.

I don't see why he'd bring in Smith and suddenly start playing him on the left?

I'd like to see Smith sign as I think he's a pretty effective Championship player and will give us a bit of variation on the right and upfront. I still think we'd need another forward to go with the combination we'd have. We'd still be lacking that physical presence or a forward who, ala Kitson, can drop off and link with the midfield (which we might not need if we're playing Matejovsky 'in the hole' of course).

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 20 Jul 2009 09:40

Although i said i didn't want him, if we are to play a 433 with smith on the wing as a LF then i wouldn't mind that... BUT i don't want him as an out and out striker.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jul 2009 09:46

Geekins Although i said i didn't want him, if we are to play a 433 with smith on the wing as a LF then i wouldn't mind that... BUT i don't want him as an out and out striker.

Why would you prefer to see a player come in and play out of position on the left, but not be happy to see him come in and play in his natural position, one (or two actually) that saw him score one goal less than our most potent centre forward and best player Doyle?

That makes no sense whatsoever...

2326 posts