Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jamie Ashdown

by Arnie_Pie » 19 May 2010 22:17

yes!

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 19 May 2010 22:17

If they are good enough then I'd rather see one of Andersen, Hamer or McCarthy a go.

After all if we were offered the chance to sign a player who was one of the best players in League 1 in his position and also happened to been called up to Denmark/England U21s then most would be happy for us to make the punt so I don't see why it should be different with out loanees.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2010 17:17

I was there at Elm Park If they are good enough then I'd rather see one of Andersen, Hamer or McCarthy a go.

After all if we were offered the chance to sign a player who was one of the best players in League 1 in his position and also happened to been called up to Denmark/England U21s then most would be happy for us to make the punt so I don't see why it should be different with out loanees.

problem is we could do with someone with a bit of experience at a higher level and or maturity in addition to those three.

Besides I have my doubts about Fedders going anywhere. Can't see him playing in the World Cup which would be the only serious chance of him getting enough attention to command a big enough fee or the desire for him to be prised away from us.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 20 May 2010 20:41

Hamer has played more games than Ashdown. Ashdown's appearances are rather pathetic - he's been a pro for over a decade and han't made close to 100 appearances yet.

he's got a lot of experience of sitting around and not playing competitive games.

Now you could argue he's in a similar position to Marcus when we signed him, last chance saloon. But i wonder whether if Ashdown had been born in (say ) Wallsend or Cheadlehume instead of Reading we'd even be discussing him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2010 20:53

Sun Tzu Hamer has played more games than Ashdown. Ashdown's appearances are rather pathetic - he's been a pro for over a decade and han't made close to 100 appearances yet.

he's got a lot of experience of sitting around and not playing competitive games.

Now you could argue he's in a similar position to Marcus when we signed him, last chance saloon. But i wonder whether if Ashdown had been born in (say ) Wallsend or Cheadlehume instead of Reading we'd even be discussing him.

He does have top flight experience though, two levels above anything the others have. And he is an older head and therefore hopefully has more maturity, which IMO is important in a keeper.

I'm not saying he's the one we should get should Fed go, but I'd rather have someone who's older and played at a level higher than League One around, even if he isn't first choice.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 20 May 2010 21:03

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu Hamer has played more games than Ashdown. Ashdown's appearances are rather pathetic - he's been a pro for over a decade and han't made close to 100 appearances yet.

He does have top flight experience though, two levels above anything the others have. And he is an older head and therefore hopefully has more maturity, which IMO is important in a keeper.

Obviously not 2 levels above anything Hamer has....

You may be right, i'd be concerned that he's got pretty weak experience. In a long time at Pompey he's never made the shirt his own, and he's never decided to leave and get regular football. Maybe he's experienced Premiership wages without really having to put in premiership work - would he have the right attitude if he came to us ? I don;t know, but I think i'd rather have our own youngsters and there decent amount of experience alongside the drive to make it....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2010 21:15

Sorry, 3 for Hamer. Hadn't realised he'd only played at League two and conference.

Also hadn't realised McCarthy had gone straight in at League One level. :shock:

One more season out there for him doing well and I'd be happy for him to then take over number 1 if he's considered good enough.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 20 May 2010 21:17

Ian Royal Sorry, 3 for Hamer. Hadn't realised he'd only played at League two and conference.

One more season out there for him doing well and I'd be happy for him to then take over number 1 if he's considered good enough.

I'd be happy for any of them to play anytime if they were considered good enough, no reason to wait artificially !!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 May 2010 21:32

Kind of feel sorry for Ashdown. When he left he was considered very much a serious challenger as first pick in goal.

It could have been so different, a starting place in a record breaking team, elevation to the premiership and the wages that go with it etc, etc. Everything he got at Pompey and more, really. Hahnemann didn't have a serious challenger for his place for 3 years after Ashdown left.

Ashdown gets half a season in the top flight due to injury and then is forced down the pecking order by players that his club patently could not afford.

He is still a decent keeper but I suspect, with our strength in depth in goal, any opportunity to return has passed.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 20 May 2010 21:51

We might not know of him as he we wouldnt have seen his potential and progress in front of our own eyes

We wouldnt have seen just how good he could have been if he hadnt left

Not being able to shift Englands number 1 out of the side isnt the worst thing in the world

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2010 23:01

Sun Tzu
Ian Royal Sorry, 3 for Hamer. Hadn't realised he'd only played at League two and conference.

I'd be happy for any of them to play anytime if they were considered good enough, no reason to wait artificially !!

It's not just about being good enough, it's about experience. More so than anywhere at 'keeper. Which I believe is the point I've made about three times already but doesn't seem to be getting through.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 20 May 2010 23:04

FA Cup game vs Premiership Liverpool too, he kept a clean sheet against Torres

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2010 23:07

Big Foot

20 minutes and looked very shakey.

Big wow. 5 or 6 full games against Championship or Premier League opposition and it might just start beginning to be a small point.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 May 2010 23:40

Saw him a few years ago whilst going on holiday, he was with his mrs, made a bit of a snide remark at him for leaving. Had he stayed he would have had a much better career that pompey reserves.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 21 May 2010 07:28

It is fair to say that Marcus Hahneman was very well treated by RFC, meaning that Ashdown decided to move on.

He was in control of the jersey, but was told that there was no guarantee that it was his to start 2004/05 with, despite good performances when MH had been out injured.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 21 May 2010 08:58

Ian Royal
Big Foot

20 minutes and looked very shakey.

Big wow. 5 or 6 full games against Championship or Premier League opposition and it might just start beginning to be a small point.

Bothered? He kept a clean sheet and that's what keepers are paid to do

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 21 May 2010 09:07

He'd be a decent enough replacement for Fed.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 May 2010 09:35

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu

It's not just about being good enough, it's about experience. More so than anywhere at 'keeper. Which I believe is the point I've made about three times already but doesn't seem to be getting through.

I think the fact that some people don't agree with you is what is failing to get through !!

Hamer has played more games than Ashdown - he has lots of experience ! You aren;t comparing someone with NO experience with someone with LOTS of experience. You are comparing 2 people with different experience. Ashdown has experience of being at a Premiership club, being on the bench at a Premiership club and playing sporadic games for a Premiership club. Hamer has experience at a lower level, but more time actually spent playing. He's been on the bench at Championship level and been part of a Premiership and Championship club.

I simply don't think there is a significant difference in terms of experience (and given the division we are in that is even more true).

So rather than you telling us that your point 'isn't getting through' maybe just accept that there is more than one view !!

And as to whether experience is more important for a keeper than anywhere else I think that is a massive over generalisation. It's important just about everywhere but I don;t think a kepper with 200 game sis twice as good as one with 100. By the time you've played a couple of seasons and got into 3 figures you've got enough experience for it not to be a big issue - things like reactions, confidence, communication, physique, bravery, anticipation all rank above experience (although all are also informed and enhanced by experience)