Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ryan Bertrand

by Sharpy » 05 Aug 2010 11:43

missed the boat

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Aug 2010 11:44

Dirk Gently Yep - he fills in for a season and then if we do go up we have a massive hole to fill.

Way, way, better to develop our own talent.

Get promoted, then sign him next season.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Aug 2010 11:46

Exactamundo. I'd take Bertrand on another month's loan - if we go up, we can afford, probably, to sign him up. Missed a trick there I think. Personally, I think we have a MUCH better than Forest, so he'll be wasted there.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 05 Aug 2010 11:48

Royal Lady Exactamundo. I'd take Bertrand on another month's loan - if we go up, we can afford, probably, to sign him up. Missed a trick there I think. Personally, I think we have a MUCH better than Forest, so he'll be wasted there.

Sound like you're wasted tbf

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Aug 2010 11:50

I'm not sure we could afford him, even in the PL.

We'd have to smash the wage structure and pay everyone else similar, so it's not just his wages.

And, of course, that presupposes that he'd be available to be sold or he'd want to join us - neither of which are certain.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Aug 2010 11:59

Royal Lady Exactamundo. I'd take Bertrand on another month's loan - if we go up, we can afford, probably, to sign him up. Missed a trick there I think. Personally, I think we have a MUCH better than Forest, so he'll be wasted there.

how have we missed a trick RL?
what would be the point of playing him ahead of our own LB?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Aug 2010 12:00

Good luck Ryan - obviously you run like a homo but despite this handicap you were probably player of the season last year.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 Aug 2010 12:08

Point is, we couldn't just wait on the off-chance an extension would fall into place. Remember, Chelsea embargoed a loan move for Ryan until they were sure Cashley Cole was staying put. MacDermott had to make a decision, and we couldn't hesitate over Williams because he'd have been off elsewhere. It's a pity to see Bertrand ending up at one of our rivals, but there's no use worrying about it - the circumstances were against us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2010 12:23

But why not develop a LB of our own who could also be good enough to play in the PL by the time we get there, rather than take a chance on developing one who we may not be able to sign if/when we get there?

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 05 Aug 2010 12:25

CMRoyal Point is, we couldn't just wait on the off-chance an extension would fall into place. Remember, Chelsea embargoed a loan move for Ryan until they were sure Cashley Cole was staying put. MacDermott had to make a decision, and we couldn't hesitate over Williams because he'd have been off elsewhere. It's a pity to see Bertrand ending up at one of our rivals, but there's no use worrying about it - the circumstances were against us.

This.

IIRC, back in May, Ryan decided that he wanted to play in the Premier League, hopefully with Chelsea. He's obviously not been given the assurances that he'd hoped for and sees another loan deal as his best option right now. As stated already, we couldn't hang around for him.

Let's hope that Jimmy gives him the runaround when we play them! :wink:

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 05 Aug 2010 12:50

...and of course from the player's own point of view, it's probably better experience to have played at two decent championship clubs rather than just one. Plus most (objective) pundits reckon Forest are one of the favourites this year, and are likely to finish above Reading, which would again make Forest a more attractive proposition.

So... better for the player, they'll pay higher wages, and anyway we couldn't wait for a decision so got Williams in instead.

No brainer all round really.

What it does do, taken alongside Sheff Utd's loan signing of Taraabt today (even ignoring the tabloid romour of Owen loan to Bristol C) is put into perspective the challenge we have this year. We are no longer one of the big spenders in this league, like we were two years ago, and BM will have done a tremendous job if he gets us into the play-offs this year.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Aug 2010 13:21

Hogmeister Royal ...and of course from the player's own point of view, it's probably better experience to have played at two decent championship clubs rather than just one. Plus most (objective) pundits reckon Forest are one of the favourites this year, and are likely to finish above Reading, which would again make Forest a more attractive proposition.

So... better for the player, they'll pay higher wages, and anyway we couldn't wait for a decision so got Williams in instead.

What it does do, taken alongside Sheff Utd's loan signing of Taraabt today (even ignoring the tabloid romour of Owen loan to Bristol C) is put into perspective the challenge we have this year. We are no longer one of the big spenders in this league, like we were two years ago, and BM will have done a tremendous job if he gets us into the play-offs this year.

Taraabt has signed for QPR actually.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 05 Aug 2010 13:22

Hogmeister Royal
What it does do, taken alongside Sheff Utd's loan signing of Taraabt today

LOL

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 05 Aug 2010 13:25

Royal Lady
Hogmeister Royal ...and of course from the player's own point of view, it's probably better experience to have played at two decent championship clubs rather than just one. Plus most (objective) pundits reckon Forest are one of the favourites this year, and are likely to finish above Reading, which would again make Forest a more attractive proposition.

So when's he going to his 2nd decent Championship club after Forest?

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 05 Aug 2010 13:30

Royal Lady

Neil Warnock, Paddy Kenny.......Sure as hell sounds like Sheff Utd.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Aug 2010 13:34

Stranded

But why not develop a LB of our own who could also be good enough to play in the PL by the time we get there, rather than take a chance on developing one who we may not be able to sign if/when we get there?

I just think he's that good, that even if we have a LB we should of taken the opportunity of resigning Bertrand onloan for another year. There's no harm having cover in the squad, so Williams might of still got his chance.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2010 13:37

Perhaps, but going by the deal with Forest, it's currently only til Jan. That may have been the stumbling block as we would have then been left of having Williams not playing and only thrust in then. Which wouldn't be ideal to my mind.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Aug 2010 13:40

Scarface I just think he's that good, that even if we have a LB we should of taken the opportunity of resigning Bertrand onloan for another year. There's no harm having cover in the squad, so Williams might of still got his chance.

"Dear Marcus Williams - we'd like to offer you this wonderful career-enhancing opportunity to join us. Of course, you won't get to play unless Ryan gets injured, but we have such faith in your abilities that we're keeping you as a reserve ......."

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 05 Aug 2010 13:44

It seems something aint quite right there as surely he would off come back to Reading if he was happy, as obviously chelsea wanted to loan him out again. So i think there must have been somehting said to convince him not to return to us :?: :shock:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Aug 2010 13:46

What was probably said to him was "Ryan, these loan spells are all about building up your experience, and that'll be much more valuable if you get experience from different clubs, not just one."

We'd certainly not want a loan player - the club's attitude is that there are no PL loan players available who are better than our own players, and why should we be developing other teams' young players when we could be developing our own?

187 posts