Stadium Objection

173 posts
Eaststand Rich

Stadium Objection

by Eaststand Rich » 30 Apr 2007 08:07

Sorry, can't see this one raised anywhere else. BBC local news announced this morning that Wokingham District Council has officially objected to the proposed ground extension. Traffic issues I think. Old duffers.

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 30 Apr 2007 08:13

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stadium Objection

by Jerry St Clair » 30 Apr 2007 08:14

Eaststand Rich Traffic issues I think. Old duffers.

More specifically, parking issues.

Their objection says that matchdays are "misery" for thousands of Wokingham residents.

I think they have a point. The club/council need a proper mass transportation strategy to go with the proposals.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 30 Apr 2007 08:16

Reading's transport officers have refuted this, claiming they intend to put in place parking restrictions south of the M4 :lol:

perhaps we should have a park and ride scheme ;)

or one of these

Stadium Expansion

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 08:53

I assume the land directly south of the M4 is in the WDC area then? If so it must only a be a small area that is affected by football parking.

WDC do seem to be making a bit of a nuisance of themselves on issues that won't really affect them that much. Isn't there a park and ride planned south of the M4 near jct 11 which will alleviate much of the problem?

Are they offering any help/ideas to solve any of these issues or is it just objections?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 30 Apr 2007 08:59

WDC - what is the point?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Apr 2007 09:03

Local Elections are comming up and I'm prepared to vote for any Wokingham councillor in my ward that doesn't object to this.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 30 Apr 2007 09:05

^ My thoughts exactly. Will be making a few calls later to ask the question.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 30 Apr 2007 09:21

It's Wokingham BOROUGH Council now.

We're the South side
We're the South side
We're the South side of the M4

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 30 Apr 2007 09:29

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 09:33

I quite often need to go to Wokingham from Earley, at various times of the day. It can take forever as the Reading Road is usually chocka in each direction from the Winnersh cross roads. I wonder whether Wokingham council have considered sorting out the traffic chaos on their patch at the same time as objecting to what goes on in the neighbouring area.
Whilst we all know traffic can get very bad on 18 days during the year this smacks of petty politicing from Wokingham (who seem to be setting themeselves up as the 'oppostion' to Reading Council.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 30 Apr 2007 09:34

Have to say they're pretty much spot on. RFC and RBC need to address the traffic and parking problems we have at the moment before they can even think about a 50% increase in capacity.

It would be remiss of Wokingham to fail to represent the interests of their residents.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 09:39

Behindu I quite often need to go to Wokingham from Earley, at various times of the day. It can take forever as the Reading Road is usually chocka in each direction from the Winnersh cross roads. I wonder whether Wokingham council have considered sorting out the traffic chaos on their patch at the same time as objecting to what goes on in the neighbouring area.
Whilst we all know traffic can get very bad on 18 days during the year this smacks of petty politicing from Wokingham (who seem to be setting themeselves up as the 'oppostion' to Reading Council.

I believe they are trying to get the 'Winnersh Relief Road' to solve this problem

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 30 Apr 2007 09:45

Wokingham planners claim match day parking causes misery on roads across the district and would get worse.

What a load of crap.

What do they mean "across" the district? So thousands park in Wokingham, Twyford etc do they.

Load of political tripe.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 09:46

That Friday Feeling It would be remiss of Wokingham to fail to represent the interests of their residents.

Like I said isn't there a park & ride being planned south of the M4 (as part of the jct 11 improvements) which will benefit the streets around there (especially if they also put parking restrictions in place).

Like someone else said maybe they should concentrate their efforts on the traffic issues that have been present for many months on their patch (Wokingham town centre, Reading Road, Winnersh Crossroads, etc) rather than something which will affect a small minority of people on 20 or so days a year (and even then that is only if we get bigger corwds than we do now).

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 09:46

That Friday Feeling Have to say they're pretty much spot on. RFC and RBC need to address the traffic and parking problems we have at the moment before they can even think about a 50% increase in capacity.

It would be remiss of Wokingham to fail to represent the interests of their residents.

Quite right. The parking is a problem and will undoubtedly get worse with an increased capacity..

Therefore Reading BC need to look at ways to alleviate the problem rather than just assuming because it isn't on 'their patch' it isn't their problem.

Clearly they should have had extensive discussions with WBC before even announcing the ground extension plans.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 09:48

royal goof
Behindu I quite often need to go to Wokingham from Earley, at various times of the day. It can take forever as the Reading Road is usually chocka in each direction from the Winnersh cross roads. I wonder whether Wokingham council have considered sorting out the traffic chaos on their patch at the same time as objecting to what goes on in the neighbouring area.

I believe they are trying to get the 'Winnersh Relief Road' to solve this problem

They are, but it will also involve another 600 or so houses being built along side it, so the affect will probably be negligible.

Even on a Saturday coming from Wokingham towards the Winnersh crossroads there can be anything up to a mile queue.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 09:49

premiership_bound
Wokingham planners claim match day parking causes misery on roads across the district and would get worse.

What a load of crap.

What do they mean "across" the district? So thousands park in Wokingham, Twyford etc do they.

Load of political tripe.

I believe it focuses on parishes such as Shinfield, Three Mile Cross & Grazeley. The B3270, A327 Shinfield Road, B3349 Basingstoke Road all go through WBC district and these roads (and residential areas around them) would obviously suffer impact from increased volumes of traffic/people getting to and from the stadium

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 09:52

Wycombe Royal
royal goof

They are, but it will also involve another 600 or so houses being built along side it, so the affect will probably be negligible.

Even on a Saturday coming from Wokingham towards the Winnersh crossroads there can be anything up to a mile queue.

The houses will happen regardless due to pressure from central government so WBC has required them to construct part of the relief road and are also trying to get the top section of lower earley way made into dual carriageway. WBC will then fund the second half of the relief road which doesnt rely on any more houses.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 30 Apr 2007 09:53

Yep I understand that :? but the word "across" the district tends to suggest it affects further a field.

173 posts