Reading had the benefit of refereeing decisions this season!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Reading had the benefit of refereeing decisions this season!

by Royal Rother » 16 May 2007 22:24

http://www.uneedspecsref.co.uk/

Forgive me if this has been posted before but it is an interesting take on events of the last season.

So would anyone agree with the conclusions?

???????

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 May 2007 22:28

Totally flawed premise as all it takes in to account is areas where an obvious mistake has been made.

For example, the Fulham game. It correctly states that Bouba Diop's goal should have stood so says the game should have been a 1-1 draw. Doesn't take in to account that the equaliser may have fired Fulham up to go on and win or that we'd have come out firing 2nd half rather than sitting back as we did and may have won 3-1. Also assumes that all penalties will be scored.

It's mildly diverting though.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 16 May 2007 22:31

Poor old Colin.

royal_ali

by royal_ali » 16 May 2007 22:37

must of been written by a chelsea supporter seen as it aint affected any of their points for diving

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 16 May 2007 22:40

Just off the top of my head they have missed possibly 2 dodgy goals we conceded at Blackburn, At least 1 offside at Old trafford, Sonks non challenge at Villa resulting in a red card, Sonks non challenge at Newcastle, definate peno at home to watford....

I could go on if I could be arsed.

It all evens itself out in the end.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 16 May 2007 22:44

Spirit of Elm Park Just off the top of my head they have missed possibly 2 dodgy goals we conceded at Blackburn, At least 1 offside at Old trafford, Sonks non challenge at Villa resulting in a red card, Sonks non challenge at Newcastle, definate peno at home to watford....

Sense is back!

WSRL

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 16 May 2007 22:45

Spirit of Elm Park Just off the top of my head they have missed possibly 2 dodgy goals we conceded at Blackburn, At least 1 offside at Old trafford, Sonks non challenge at Villa resulting in a red card, Sonks non challenge at Newcastle, definate peno at home to watford....

All of which demonstrates that, no matter how hard FIFA tries, it will always be impossible to eliminate the subjective in football refereeing, and so the most simple and effective system will always be to give one single man the final say. There was a feature on Football Focus earlier in the season, when a number of former players, former refs and journalists were shown a series of controversial incidents, and rarely could they find unanimity in judging any of them. One man's dive is another man's penalty - and it's not simply a question of whether you support one team or another. FIFA should revise some of the rules which have clouded key issues - the offside rule being the most obvious example - and then stop tinkering. Allow the refs to ref, and everyone - players, managers, fans, journalists and administrators - should just accept that referrees are well-trained human beings, and therefore prone to the occassional mistake.

knobby_1871

by knobby_1871 » 16 May 2007 22:57

All of which demonstrates that, no matter how hard FIFA tries, it will always be impossible to eliminate the subjective in football refereeing, and so the most simple and effective system will always be to give one single man the final say. There was a feature on Football Focus earlier in the season, when a number of former players, former refs and journalists were shown a series of controversial incidents, and rarely could they find unanimity in judging any of them. One man's dive is another man's penalty - and it's not simply a question of whether you support one team or another. FIFA should revise some of the rules which have clouded key issues - the offside rule being the most obvious example - and then stop tinkering. Allow the refs to ref, and everyone - players, managers, fans, journalists and administrators - should just accept that referrees are well-trained human beings, and therefore prone to the occassional mistake.

imho post of the season... thanks rabid, how many of these so-called missing benefits would have fired up opposing team to try and do something better, this is what is so great about our football, human error, we slaughter it when against us and applaud it in our favour

andyblue

by andyblue » 16 May 2007 23:00

@tis all a part of the game . . . .

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 17 May 2007 07:49

It's interesting, but so full of holes it's not true !

The test it uses it whether events are picked up by TV cameras, not whether they occurred. So all those events where the experts analyse the footage and still can;t agree (or still get it wrong becasue they don't know the rules aren't included.

It doesn't cover incidents like the Chelsea goal where a free kick (not a pen) was awarded but the player had dived.

It doesn;t cover 'incidents' like Blackburn's first goal where there is a case to be made that the ref should have stopped play or not awarded the goal becasue of the injury (I don;t necessarily think he should !).

It's a bit of fun, but their table doesn;t show how the league 'should' have finished. It shows how it might have finished if you picked a few key incidents and changed them.

I hope they never stop the game being officiated by 3 men making decisions in real time based on what they see. It's part of the game and consistent with how it is played. As long as th eofficiating is 'honest' I have no real problem with there being mistakes sometimes.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 17 May 2007 09:04

If they are ALL the mistakes refs have made over the course of this season (that have directly affected a scoreline), then we must have some of the best and most consistent refs in the world.

Why then do I feel the need to scream and question their decision on a far more regular basis than it would appear I am justified to.

Allocation of cards, missing fouls, cheating etc etc also have an affect on scorelines so this table is most definately flawed, m'lud.

fandroid 30004

by fandroid 30004 » 17 May 2007 12:19

I'm with the 'it all evens out over a season' brigade for league matches, but I do think that they should provide extra assistance to assist refs for cup games (Incl World Cup finals etc), where one dodgy decision can be the death of a team. It doesn't have to be technology. It could be, for instance, just extra linos posted by each goal mouth.

Lieutenant Pigeon

by Lieutenant Pigeon » 17 May 2007 12:26

What a load of oxf*rd - can think of numerous dodgy decisions not covered - Halfords 'handball' against Spurs, Seol being scythed down in the box against Everton for two...

C.

The Mighty Finn

by The Mighty Finn » 17 May 2007 12:28

It amazes me that anyone would go to the trouble of putting together what looks like a pretty good web site only to fill it with partially researched data. He has a selective view of events which is worse than that of the most partisan of referees. Having been to over 25 matches this season, including some that didn't involve Reading, there are clearly decisions in every game which appear to have a direct effect on the final outcome. In any case, those who believe in Chaos Theory and the Butterfly effect would argue that the final outcome of the game is influenced by who kicks off first.

brummie royal

by brummie royal » 17 May 2007 12:35

On the same theme:

http://www.rightresult.net

Shows that the good/bad decisions evened themselves out over the season.

Villa, Wigan & Charlton main losers from bad decisions and Spurs, Man City and West Ham the main beneficiaries.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 17 May 2007 12:42

How does all this square with the undisputed fact that every point dropped by Sheff Utd has been the direct result of a shocking refereeing decision ?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 17 May 2007 13:08

Not one incident they felt we should benefit from?

No mention of the "handball" incidents at tottenham neither the penalty awarded against us nor the 2 we should have been awarded

Also, you can't say what the outcome of a game would be had a goal been given / not given with 30 minutes left. The whole course of the game would change

Take diouf's "goal" against us at half time, there is no way the second half would have gone the same way of they had gne it at half time even rather than trailing.

on that other site, take the lita penalty incident that we "gain" from. They stillpredict we would lose 2-1.. no chance! I don;t expect watford would have come back had we taken the lead
Last edited by weybridgewanderer on 17 May 2007 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2007 13:10

Don't forget a red card at OT for pulling back a player already flagged for offside!

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 17 May 2007 13:14

...and they assume that a penalty will turn into a goal...

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 17 May 2007 15:16

shadesrwrf Poor old Colin.

It is a shame how everyone picks on him isn't it?

:lol: