Sir Alex's 2nd goal celebration merged

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

Re: fa take no action against fergie

by AF1 » 22 Jan 2008 14:19

SpaceCruiser
M U R K Y Take no action for what?

Would have been better if this thread had been posted on that existing thread about Ferguson's celebration for the 2nd goal.

You'll get that moderator spot one day old boy. Just keep plugging away.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Why do they all get the hump with Wally Downes?

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Jan 2008 14:33

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere and I'll accept my Kenneth happily if it has.

The Daily Mail

Last year it was Wally Downes who lit the fuse under Neil Warnock, sparking one of the season's most explosive bust-ups.

And there was a row with Newcastle's Emre, who swore at Downes after being 'upset' by something he had said.

In December when Sunderland manager Roy Keane went ballistic in Steve Coppell's office at the Madejski Stadium, guess who was there sticking his oar in? On Saturday the Reading assistant manager was at it again, throwing his considerable weight around in an angry exchange with Sir Alex Ferguson on the touchline.

So what is it about Downes that gets people's goat?

"It would have been a catchweight contest," smirked Reading manager Steve Coppell after his assistant clashed with Ferguson over the amount of injury time referee Steve Bennett had indicated.

The pair exchanged words — typical heat of the battle stuff — but the Manchester United manager responded with an offensive gesture which appeared to be aimed at Reading's supporters after Cristiano Ronaldo sealed their 2-0 victory.

Likeable Londoner Downes is making a habit of getting involved in touchline disputes.

But there is another side to a man regarded by his former manager Dave Bassett as one of the country's best coaches.

Downes, who was forced to stop playing with a knee injury in 1988, is one of the highest qualified coaches in the country.

Bassett, who is now assistant manager to Dennis Wise at Leeds, said: "Steve and Wally are chalk and cheese and that's what makes them such a successful partnership. Steve has a dry sense of humour. Wally is very quick-witted and he picks up on people's deficiencies very quickly. That makes people vulnerable and he's no one's fool.

"He can be frightening for people trying to get to know him, but this reputation as a troublemaker is completely unfair. He's still upset that the FA allowed Warnock off scot-free last season.

"He can be intimidating but he's a clever man. He's not obsessed with football and he can talk with some authority about religion, politics and literature. He never ceases to surprise me."

Ferguson is likely to escape FA punishment for his gesture, thanks to the Reading fans. The FA may still write to the Manchester United manager seeking an explanation.

But Reading are understood to have received no complaints and video evidence is inconclusive as to the exact nature of the gesture.

Derbyshire Royal

Re: Why do they all get the hump with Wally Downes?

by Derbyshire Royal » 22 Jan 2008 14:36

Seems a reasonable piece to me.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 22 Jan 2008 14:38

because, as it says in the article and as I would have imagined, Wally is quick witted and sharp witted.

If he insults you, it won't be a "your mum" joke. No, actually, it probably would be.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 22 Jan 2008 14:38

I suggest we all sing a song for Wally at our next home game (B*lt*n). The bloke is a RFC legend.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Jan 2008 14:38

Derbyshire Royal Seems a reasonable piece to me.

+1

Derbyshire Royal

Re: Sir Alex's 2nd goal celebration...

by Derbyshire Royal » 22 Jan 2008 14:40

Ideal
Gus the teenage cow
Ideal If they don't investigate and punish ferguson then it sets a double standard.
Some rules only apply to Wally Downes and the like, and those rules certainly don't seem to apply to the glorious Sir Alex.
If one of ours had gone over to their fans at old trafford and done this, what would have happened? There would have been cries of murder and massive investigations and Wally Downes would've been banned for 10 matches.
This is a fcuking outrage.

here here

the outage us not so much what fergie did, in fact his reaction was a compliment to our performance if you ask me, the outrage here peasants is that if an opposing manager did a similar thing at old trafford it would be treated differently by the FA and the media, that is the real outrage here and it disgusts me

YES! Thank you, that's exactly my point! Fergie is allowed, but if Wally did it at old trafford then he'd get a 10 match ban!!

Personally I would love to Wally get a 10 game ban if we were to win at old trafford in injury time! It would be worth it!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 22 Jan 2008 14:43

Daily Mail Last year it was Wally Downes who lit the fuse under Neil Warnock, sparking one of the season's most explosive bust-ups.

Er, wasn't it the other way round, Warnock making a gesture at the referee that prompted Downes to come over and confront him?

Daily Mail And there was a row with Newcastle's Emre, who swore at Downes after being 'upset' by something he had said.

I can't remember what Downes said to Emre. What did he say?

Daily Mail In December when Sunderland manager Roy Keane went ballistic in Steve Coppell's office at the Madejski Stadium, guess who was there sticking his oar in?

I must have missed this one, can anyone tell me what it was about?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re:

by papereyes » 22 Jan 2008 14:46

SpaceCruiser
Daily Mail Last year it was Wally Downes who lit the fuse under Neil Warnock, sparking one of the season's most explosive bust-ups.

Er, wasn't it the other way round, Warnock making a gesture at the referee that prompted Downes to come over and confront him?

Daily Mail And there was a row with Newcastle's Emre, who swore at Downes after being 'upset' by something he had said.

I can't remember what Downes said to Emre. What did he say?

Daily Mail In December when Sunderland manager Roy Keane went ballistic in Steve Coppell's office at the Madejski Stadium, guess who was there sticking his oar in?

I must have missed this one, can anyone tell me what it was about?

Stephen Hunt, last minute winner, ring any bells?

No. You wouldn't be able to hear them, would you?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 22 Jan 2008 14:50

You mean that they were arguing about whether it was a goal or not?

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 22 Jan 2008 14:53

According to Dirk, the Keane rumpus was because we sold them Halford whilst knowing he was sh*t (or something).

DaveM

by DaveM » 22 Jan 2008 14:55

Zammo I suggest we all sing a song for Wally at our next home game (B*lt*n). The bloke is a RFC legend.

Wally Downes is magic
He wears a magic hat
And when he saw Neil Warnock
He hit the f**king tw*t!

philM

by philM » 22 Jan 2008 15:57

Barry the bird boggler Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere and I'll accept my Kenneth happily if it has.

The Daily Mail

...the Manchester United manager responded with an offensive gesture which appeared to be aimed at Reading's supporters.

Considering the direction he was facing it must have been the North Stand who got to him :lol:

Bloody Daily Mail...

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 22 Jan 2008 16:04

Derbyshire Royal Jees, yet another lame thread.

How dare a manager actually celebrate his team scoring!

Would be nice to see SSC do the same!

Your first point a agree with, the others I ouldnt disagree more with....

My respect and admiration for coppell would plummett if he were to celebrate in similar fashion, especially for such a mediocre and mundane achievement.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 22 Jan 2008 16:54

Tails
Derbyshire Royal Jees, yet another lame thread.

How dare a manager actually celebrate his team scoring!

Would be nice to see SSC do the same!

Your first point a agree with, the others I ouldnt disagree more with....

My respect and admiration for coppell would plummett if he were to celebrate in similar fashion, especially for such a mediocre and mundane achievement.

So, a last minute winner against a team which has caused you problems ever since they joined the division AND which meant that you stayed top, wasn't worth celebrating in a fairly uncontrolled manner?

Have you ever played competitive sport?

Or "lost it" when your team has won (or lost) in similar circumstances?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: fa take no action against fergie

by Row Z Royal » 22 Jan 2008 17:00

SpaceCruiser
M U R K Y Take no action for what?

Would have been better if this thread had been posted on that existing thread about Ferguson's celebration for the 2nd goal.

To be fair to him, he posted on a thread with no information on it. I think he was trying to highlight juanpablo's inability to spot a Fergie thread.

royal madrid

Re: Sir Alex's 2nd goal celebration merged

by royal madrid » 22 Jan 2008 17:05

I rather liked the fact that he described it as a 'celebration' of their hardest won game of the season.
And, who complained? Football fans can be an over sensitive lot at times.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 22 Jan 2008 17:15

royal madrid I rather liked the fact that he described it as a 'celebration' of their hardest won game of the season.
And, who complained? Football fans can be an over sensitive lot at times.

I think that the reason he got off the hook was that none of us did complain.

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 22 Jan 2008 22:26

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Jan 2008 10:18

igoe agogo http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/ferguson-apologises-to-pre%11menstrual-reading-fans-20080122671/

Seems apt, you moaning minis.

Whoever wrote that is a tosser.