City fans on their Euro away

TheMaraudingDog

City fans on their Euro away

by TheMaraudingDog » 16 Jul 2008 14:41

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories ... -20645265/

It is an odyssey that looks destined to become a football legend.

A group of British fans proud of following their team anywhere have hired a 72ft trawler for a journey on the high seas to go to a fixture in the Faroes.

For the 12 Manchester City supporters, the adventure began with a Uefa Cup draw that pitted them against minnows EB/Streymur in a Uefa Cup qualifier.

Their hearts fell when they saw how expensive the flights were to the North Atlantic islands, halfway to Iceland.

Advertisement
But not to be thwarted, they came up with the scheme of hiring the trawler Three Sisters. Now they face a 26-hour crossing in rough seas.

The first stage is an eight-hour drive to Aberdeen. Then they catch a 12-hour overnight ferry to the Shetland Islands.

This morning they will set out in the fishing boat for the Faroe Islands port of Torshavn. They will arrive tomorrow morning, less than 12 hours before the kick-off, and return home on Sunday.

The Three Sisters is kitted out for deepsea divers with 14 sleeping compartments, a kitchen, toilet and shower.

The fans, aged between 25 and 40, like to follow their heroes everywhere.

Organiser Leighton Gobbett said: "This should be the funniest trip ever to a football match. It is for people who want a trip of a lifetime and are up for a laugh."

Football magazine FourFourTwo is helping to fund the voyage.

Deputy Editor Matthew Weiner said: "It represents everything that is great about football fans. These lads love their team and will do anything to see them play, even brave the high seas."

10 Number of football teams in the Faroe Islands Premier league, known as the Formuladeildin. The Faroes' population was 48,353 in 2004.

TheMaraudingDog

Re: City fans on their Euro away

by TheMaraudingDog » 16 Jul 2008 14:43

LOL

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... n%2Bfaroes

The Manchester City supporters felt the cost of flying to Thursday's Uefa Cup qualifier was too expensive.

So they drove to Aberdeen and caught an overnight ferry to the Shetland Islands from where they were due sail to the Faroes.

The 12 fans had chartered a 72ft boat called the Three Sisters for the crossing - which can take 26 hours - and were due to arrive just in time for the match with EB/Streymur.

But trip organiser Leighton Gobbett, 27, told Sky News bad weather had left them stranded in Lerwick.

"We're sat on the boat - the seas are just too rough to go out," he said.

"The captain said it's impossible to go as 4.5 metre high waves are possible so we're stuck."

The supporters, who each paid £285 to hire the vessel, and now hoping for help.

Mr Gobbett said: "We're just sat about. Maybe Roman Abramovich might be kind enough to lend us a helicopter."

The group had also persuaded football magazine FourFourTwo to supply them with alcohol on the trawler.

Deputy editor Matthew Weiner said: "This voyage represents all that is great about football fans.

"These lads love their team and will do anything to see them play."

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 16 Jul 2008 15:05

TheMaraudingDog "These lads love their team and will do anything to see them play."

Apart from forking out for proper transportation, instead trying to do things on the cheap......

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 16 Jul 2008 16:11

Leighton Gobbett

:P

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 16 Jul 2008 21:49

and the really sad thing is that they have just as horrendous a trip to their home game

The City of mancester Stadium is hosting a concert the niht o fthe home leg so the fans are all being bussed to Barnsley where the game will be played

lol

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 16 Jul 2008 21:51

Brilliant - i managed to sort out their flight to Faroe after they looked to be stranded in Shetland - i am now something of a legendary figure in the blue half of manchester.

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 16 Jul 2008 21:55

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Jul 2008 23:08

Also it seems that it would have cost them £180 each for a coach and ferry rather than the £285 they paid to try to get there on the cheap. :lol: :lol:

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 16 Jul 2008 23:26

I'm tempted to join blue moon and leave an obvious, hna style message along the lines of

'Durham Exile is an attention seeking pcunt AICMFP

+1'

Just to see the level of abuse i'd get. Good work fella btw

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Jul 2008 08:19

Ian Cheeseman always said he'd go to 'the ends of the Earth' to follow his beloved City.
Well, guess what? The Blues travel to the remote Faroe Islands for their opening UEFA Cup qualifier - and who's the only reporter going from Manchester?

It's the Faroe Islands not Papua New Guinea you nob.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Jul 2008 09:24

igoe agogo Brilliant - i managed to sort out their flight to Faroe after they looked to be stranded in Shetland - i am now something of a legendary figure in the blue half of manchester.

Did they give you a tree in gratitude?

PlasticRoyale I'm tempted to join blue moon and leave an obvious, hna style message along the lines of

+1'

DO IT!!!

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 17 Jul 2008 11:28

I wonder if these chaps will be the only City fans at the game, or whether others will have somehow managed to get there without crying to the world about it. We'll see, but I bet if they'd drunk less booze over the last month they could have afforded a flight like everyone else.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Jul 2008 15:54

I shall be cheering Hamburg on against Citeh on the 26th of July

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 17 Jul 2008 20:38

SpaceCruiser
igoe agogo Brilliant - i managed to sort out their flight to Faroe after they looked to be stranded in Shetland - i am now something of a legendary figure in the blue half of manchester.

Did they give you a tree in gratitude?

PlasticRoyale I'm tempted to join blue moon and leave an obvious, hna style message along the lines of

+1'

DO IT!!!

I've just remembered why i don't really post on here any more.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 17 Jul 2008 21:16

But we all miss you :cry:

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Jul 2008 10:36

And somewhat loathed by the red 3/4 of Manchester.

Wouldn't it be hiLOLarious if a tip off was to be posted on Red Issue with contact details of the hero.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Jul 2008 12:55

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 18 Jul 2008 13:55

Thaumagurist*
TheMaraudingDog "These lads love their team and will do anything to see them play."

Apart from forking out for proper transportation, instead trying to do things on the cheap......

POT KETTLE BLACK ALERT Mr £19 car park.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Jul 2008 14:05

In all, about 200 City fans got to the game.

MASSIVE

Magnus

by Magnus » 18 Jul 2008 14:06

Spacey has a point really. Spending 2 or 3 days travelling there and back to save a couple of hundred quid?

Doesn't add up-you'd spend more on booze & food and accommodation anyway.

Oh, and LOL.