Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non-League Football

by 1871 Royal » 05 Oct 2009 00:08

Terminal Boardom
1871 Royal Basingstoke! Doing quite well which is a change

Did the Camrose many years ago and it is one of the coldest grounds in the country. Plus, my ex wife lives in Basingstoke so no thanks!

Agreed with it being a very cold ground! Ok thats fair enough

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non-League Football

by Four Of Clubs » 05 Oct 2009 10:22

Terminal Boardom Anywhere west of Reading is out. And I am too bloody lazy to search for threads that may or may not exist.

... the info is all on here in mind-numbing detail - I know cos I typed most of it ! :P

Agree about going West though - for one thing the M4 is invariably knackered and you'll spend hours sat in a jam past jn 12 thinking:

"Why the F%(£ didn't I get off at Theale and why are BBCRB Traffic Reports so cr@p!"

... and I don't know why but anywhere nr Swindon and the temperature seems to plummet too - Basingstoke is 'tropical' compared to somewhere like Supermarine or Highworth.

... mind you Radio P@xford one's are 10 times worse.

I find the 'beauty' of NL football is the emotional detachment - you aren't twisting with gut-wretching despairing agony, like you would be following our lot @ home for the last several months - and can actually enjoy the games - albeit the standard can be pretty duff.

Comparing grounds and facilities and planning your journeys brings a different kind of pleasure - most of these places spend what little money they have on their social side and indeed it is generally then their biggest income - so most of the bars are comfy, welcoming and anyone can go in or out.

Try out as many different clubs as you can be bothered with and if you manage to find an attachment to one or other in particular - fine!

Anyway - for starters here's the nearest twenty odd NL clubs and all are roughly within 1/2 hrs drive from Reading:

Reading-Town, Woodley Town, Wokingham-&-Emmbrook, Holyport , Finchampstead, Henley-Town, Eversley, Binfield, Bracknell-Town,
Maidenhead-United, AFC Aldermaston, Hartley-Wintney, Tadley Calleva,
Eton-Wick, Ascot United, Burnham, Thatcham-Town, Sandhurst-Town,
Windsor-&-Eton (incl Bedfont Green groundsharers), Marlow, Fleet-Town

Yellowcoat

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by Yellowcoat » 05 Oct 2009 14:14

Try Wealdstone now playing at Ruislip after being homeless for years. Old style club with the fans putting up the money for the playing budget and doing most of the work on the ground bringing it up to the required standard. Now up to second in the Ryman Premier and home to Lewes in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Oct 2009 14:19

Saturday FA Cup, no other football...

Woking v Maidstone
Heybridge v Farnborough
Eastleigh v Basingstoke

Royalist

by Royalist » 05 Oct 2009 17:17

Windsor and Eton is the way to go. Ex-Reading player Keith Scott as manager and a freindly club with an excellent selection of flags! :mrgreen:

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 05 Oct 2009 17:26

Following my earlier plug for Wealdstone (at Ruislip) I understand that production of a Reading season ticket at home league matches (not cup games) will result in half price entry (£5 instead of £10).

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 05 Oct 2009 22:23

Royalist Windsor and Eton is the way to go. Ex-Reading player Keith Scott as manager and a freindly club with an excellent selection of flags! :mrgreen:

Stag Meadow is only a couple of miles from home so very tempting. And Keith Scott!!! I remember him playing against us and giving the one finger salute a few years back.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 05 Oct 2009 22:26

Yellowcoat Following my earlier plug for Wealdstone (at Ruislip) I understand that production of a Reading season ticket at home league matches (not cup games) will result in half price entry (£5 instead of £10).

I remember Wealdstone being raped by property developers and ground sharing at Watford. They almost died out altogether

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Oct 2009 08:31

Terminal Boardom
Royalist Windsor and Eton is the way to go. Ex-Reading player Keith Scott as manager and a freindly club with an excellent selection of flags! :mrgreen:

Stag Meadow is only a couple of miles from home so very tempting. And Keith Scott!!! I remember him playing against us and giving the one finger salute a few years back.

Better than Scott, Martin Williams will hopefully fit and playing again soon.

You could have the pleasure of meeting up with me as well. If that's not enough to seal the deal you can bugger off to Slough Town instead! :wink:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 06 Oct 2009 11:20

Terminal Boardom I remember Wealdstone being raped by property developers and ground sharing at Watford. They almost died out altogether

...strange how the tables turn - if you can find anyone who admits to being a Ruislip Manor fan, ask them what they think of the 'stones - and what as a consequence of being 'swallowed' up by them, has become of their club now.

Essentially after leaving Watford, Wealdtone tried to go in with Barnet on a big Government-funded, multi-sports complex may have been in/around Copthall, which the Bees were also going to eventually move to from Underhill.

Doesn't seem to have happened, so Wealdstone were invited to 'take over' Ruislip Manor's ground - RM were badly in need of the funding.

Whilst also lodging @ Northwood - Wealdstone put money into RMs ground at Grosvenor Vale and are now reaping the benefits - having moved in permanently a year or two back.

RM's funding issue didn't go away - and having been seperated from their only source of revenue, the Social Club, were (allegedly) forced to move out, cos they couldn't afford to pay what Wealdstone were charging.

They have since undergone a ridiculous name change - called after a part of NW London that no-one has ever heard of [Tokyngton] - and had to 'lodge' at Greenford and now Hanwell - and play in front of single figure crowds.

... Oh and RR: - advising Terminal B. to 'bugger off to Slough' - isn't quite as straightforward either - they've long since vacated Wexham Pk - though I think it is all still there - and have been playing at Beaconsfield for a couple of seasons - has been some talk of moving back to the Slough area but not sure where/when.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 06 Oct 2009 12:14

Mostly correct about Wealdstone and they also shared at Yeading for a few years. The proposed development near Barnet was proceeding under Wealdstone alone, after many years of planning problems, when the developer went bust losing them more money. Looks like Barnet are now going to take advantage in a similar way to what you describe happened at Ruislip Manor. The major problem was the Social Club were also heavily in debt and were not providing any assistance with the football side. I believe that the Tokyngton move was because someone saw the opportunity to cheaply take up the spot RM had in the football world rather than fold completely. However as I remarked earlier for a club that has been homeless for years the fans stepped in and have really worked at turning things round both on the football and social side. As an example during October a pound for every pint sold at matches is going straight into the playing fund. Think it is good to see how fans can help to progress things at lower levels especially when I see all the moans in the Team section by so called supporters who expect to be given everything on a plate.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Oct 2009 19:29

Four Of Clubs ... Oh and RR: - advising Terminal B. to 'bugger off to Slough' - isn't quite as straightforward either - they've long since vacated Wexham Pk - though I think it is all still there - and have been playing at Beaconsfield for a couple of seasons - has been some talk of moving back to the Slough area but not sure where/when.

I've not got the details handy as I'm nobbing on a train (look at me!) but it was confirmed a few months ago that Slough ARE moving back - I think it's to Wexham and within the next year.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Oct 2009 22:11

As you can imagine, I was aware of all that - the location of the ground seemed somewhat irrelevant to add to the totally TIC comment!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 07 Oct 2009 10:37

Royal Rother As you can imagine, I was aware of all that - the location of the ground seemed somewhat irrelevant to add to the totally TIC comment!

... mayhap ....didn't mean to appear 'preachy' and the extra detail was supposed to be geared for those who aren't aware - as per the original question :? - but I thought there might have been a jot of relevance associated to the (slightly) extra distance TB would have to travel IF he was considering watching the Rebels.

Had they still been in Sluff of course they'd have probably been on my original 'closest' 20-odd list ? ... :wink:

... I'll have a dig around my NL 'links' and see if I can find the latest on Slough moving back to .... Slough.
I think they are (grudgingly) settled at Holloways Pk for the meantime - although I understand - from reading the Slough FansFocus site - that they are concerned that the surface is getting a bit of a battering ,what with two league sides and numerous reserves/ladies XIs playing on it.
Southern league sides (and most others at this level) play an awful lot of 'silly' cups(County/League/Floodlit/Charity etc etc) as well as the FA Cup and Trophy - so obviously the problem doubles - with two clubs using the pitch.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Oct 2009 19:31

Four Of Clubs
Royal Rother As you can imagine, I was aware of all that - the location of the ground seemed somewhat irrelevant to add to the totally TIC comment!

... mayhap ....didn't mean to appear 'preachy' and the extra detail was supposed to be geared for those who aren't aware - as per the original question :? - but I thought there might have been a jot of relevance associated to the (slightly) extra distance TB would have to travel IF he was considering watching the Rebels.

Had they still been in Sluff of course they'd have probably been on my original 'closest' 20-odd list ? ... :wink:

... I'll have a dig around my NL 'links' and see if I can find the latest on Slough moving back to .... Slough.
I think they are (grudgingly) settled at Holloways Pk for the meantime - although I understand - from reading the Slough FansFocus site - that they are concerned that the surface is getting a bit of a battering ,what with two league sides and numerous reserves/ladies XIs playing on it.
Southern league sides (and most others at this level) play an awful lot of 'silly' cups(County/League/Floodlit/Charity etc etc) as well as the FA Cup and Trophy - so obviously the problem doubles - with two clubs using the pitch.

And don't I know about the County Cup competitions. Many years ago, I got in with a bunch who were rabid Farnborough Town supporters and I ended up going to watch them play Newport IoW the same day that Reading drew 1-1 at Derby in 1985. I also experienced the delights of the original Huish as well as Clapton. Lowest of the low was a pre-season friendly between Farnborough Town Reserves and Maidenhead Utd Reserves. I lasted until half time then retreated to the bar and got wasted instead.

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 07 Oct 2009 22:04

My adopted team Durham City AFC had their main sponsorship revenue pulled on the first day of the season pretty much, have fielded kids and triallists and have lost every match in the Unibond Premier this season, conceding ridiculous amounts if goals.

A terrible state.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Oct 2009 00:01

Attended a very good game of Zamaretto (Southern) League Premier football at Farnborough tonight, a 3-3 draw for the league leaders at home to the only other unbeaten side in the division, Cambridge City. After going bust in 2007, Farnborough are going places again and they are rebuilding Cherrywood Road which is becoming an impressive looking stadium which will be fit for the Conference and beyond.

Tenner to get in, sit or stand, freedom to roam around the ground, decent bar, excellent programme, even better chips and curry sauce. What is not to like! I would encourage any North Hants based RFC fans to take a trip to Farnborough and support one of our local non league sides if you get the chance, especially one with whom we have always had so many close links. Still in the FA Cup too, albeit away to Heybridge Swifts of the Ryman League on Saturday in the 3rd Qualifying Round.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2009 00:11

floyd__streete Attended a very good game of Zamaretto (Southern) League Premier football at Farnborough tonight, a 3-3 draw for the league leaders at home to the only other unbeaten side in the division, Cambridge City. After going bust in 2007, Farnborough are going places again and they are rebuilding Cherrywood Road which is becoming an impressive looking stadium which will be fit for the Conference and beyond.

Tenner to get in, sit or stand, freedom to roam around the ground, decent bar, excellent programme, even better chips and curry sauce. What is not to like! I would encourage any North Hants based RFC fans to take a trip to Farnborough and support one of our local non league sides if you get the chance, especially one with whom we have always had so many close links. Still in the FA Cup too, albeit away to Heybridge Swifts of the Ryman League on Saturday in the 3rd Qualifying Round.

Agrred m8, never been there before, I'm sure we'll go back again at some point this season. You can't beat non league football, I enjoyed my 2 years following TUFC in BSP although i'm glad they're out of it now! But going as a neutral there is nothing to dislike. Don't get stroppy if 'your' team isn't winning, plenty of LOL's moments along with some good football, some cracking goals, saw an old school m8 score! Chips and Curry was sublime! FLTLR, £10. Fanks.

I'd pay £10 just to spend the evening with FLTLR to be honest so to get that was a bonus! :lol:

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 08 Oct 2009 11:20

Alan Partridge I'd pay £10 just to spend the evening with FLTLR to be honest so to get that was a bonus! :lol:

:shock:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Oct 2009 13:16

I am informed (quite probably unreliably) that some of Farnborough's players are on £800 per week and that they are a financial disaster waiting to happen.

Without getting out of 2nd gear they made Windsor & Eton's honest amateurs look pretty inferior in the FA Cup a couple of weeks back. Robinson at the back (ex-Arsenal youngster) looked (and sounded - he was very vocal!) particularly classy.

725 posts