Played 5 (+4)
Goals 3

Brian Howard

Played 9 (+1)
Assists 1
Goals 1

Sahun Cummings

No comment

No doubt you'll extract whatever point of view you want from those stats but for what it's worth, considering it's a new team and those players are still 'bedding-in' I would suggest that Rodgers has done very nicely indeed in the transfer market thank you very much.

Rasiak's 3 goals came from his 5 starts. That means pro rata from 46 starts he'd be on for 27 goals. Terrible signing.

HTFH
Last edited by Super Kevin Bremner! on 03 Nov 2009 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Para Handy

Re: FAO RL: Rodgers terrible signings

by Para Handy » 02 Nov 2009 20:37

+1

-1 for the avatar though.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 20:44

Super Kevin Bremner! Jobi Macanuff

Played 7
Assists 2
Goals 1

Gregory Rasiak

Played 5 (+4)
Goals 3

Brian Howard

Played 9 (+1)
Assists 1
Goals 1

Sahun Cummings

No comment

No doubt you'll extract whatever point of view you want from those stats but for what it's worth, considering it's a new team and those players are still 'bedding-in' I would suggest that Rodgers has done very nicely indeed in the transfer market thank you very much.

Rasiak's 3 goals came from his 5 starts. That means pro rata from 46 starts he'd be on for 27 goals. Terrible signing.

HTFH

Agreed, terrible signings.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 20:45

Your no comment to Shaun Cummings is a comment. HTH.
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 02 Nov 2009 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 20:46

Better ratio than the previous manager's signings even when admitting Cummings is crap.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 20:49

For the moment I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Long way to go until we can make proper long term conclusions.

Copps' two major signings last year were both very successful.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 02 Nov 2009 20:49

Archie's penalty You're no comment to Shaun Cummings is a comment. HTH.

How ironic.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 20:50

Super Kevin Bremner!
Archie's penalty You're no comment to Shaun Cummings is a comment. HTH.

How ironic.

Ta.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 02 Nov 2009 20:54

The irony was mine. You just pointed it out. No credit given for that so no need to say thanks.

Ta.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Nov 2009 20:54

Rasiak - Proven goalscorer at this level and decent target man.
McAnuff - Proven winger at this level who Rodgers clearly gets the best out of. Premiership class at best.
Howard - Once considered by some to be one of best midfielders outside the Prem. Lovely left foot, passionate, decent on the ball.
Bertrand - Chelsea hope to have him as the successor to Ashley Cole.

All excellent signings, and considerably better than SC's attempts towards the latter part of his reign.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 20:59

Super Kevin Bremner! The irony was mine. You just pointed it out. No credit given for that so no need to say thanks.

Ta.

I'll say thanks when I want. Ta.

And to W_R. Have you ignored the Armstrong Hunt signings then?

I actually think his signings have been good (apart from the non-worthy-of-comment Cummings).

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 21:00

Archie's penalty
Super Kevin Bremner! The irony was mine. You just pointed it out. No credit given for that so no need to say thanks.

Ta.

I'll say thanks when I want. Ta.

And to W_R. Have you ignored the Armstrong Hunt signings then?

I actually think his signings have been good (apart from the non-worthy-of-comment Cummings).

Armstrong isn't as good as Shorey, Hunt isn't as good as Doyle. Backwards steps.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 02 Nov 2009 21:01

Just pointing out you didn't need to thank me Archie.

Not telling you not to do it. You knock yourself out boy.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 21:04

All understood SKB.

I don't think Armstrong was a backwards step at all at the time. Shorey didn't give a sh*t for us in the last year and he has been worse than pants at the Villa.

As for Hunt he played alongside Doyle (and did well at that) so how could that be a backwards step?

Royalee you have to accept that some of the good things we have now are linked to what Coppell built. (Waitasec of course you won't accept that so I'm giving up).

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 21:08

Hunt has ended up being Doyle's replacement whether you choose to admit it or not (or Kitson's, it doesn't really matter) and he isn't as good. Armstrong is a Steady Eddie mid-table Championship left back, he's not fit to lace Shorey's boots as far as quality goes.

Coppell did a lot of good in two years at the club, but unfortunately he completely undid this plus did even more damage so that we entered pre season in a far weaker position than when he took over the club 6 years ago. Rodgers is now repairing that damage.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 21:11

Royalee Hunt has ended up being Doyle's replacement whether you choose to admit it or not (or Kitson's, it doesn't really matter) and he isn't as good. Armstrong is a Steady Eddie mid-table Championship left back, he's not fit to lace Shorey's boots as far as quality goes.

Coppell did a lot of good in two years at the club, but unfortunately he completely undid this plus did even more damage so that we entered pre season in a far weaker position than when he took over the club 6 years ago. Rodgers is now repairing that damage.

There are many swings and roundabouts in football. We had our time in the sun and we needed to rebuild. I am happy to see Rodgers finally getting things close-to-being-right.

Remember though Karacan and Pearce played quite a lot last year, the two signings I mentioned above did pretty well for us and I think we just needed a change rather than Coppell sending us to the dogs.

And Shorey's career may be over. Who's going to buy him now?

Fwiw Bertrand is an excellent player and will play in the prem for the next ten years imho.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 02 Nov 2009 21:15

winchester_royal Rasiak - Proven goalscorer at this level and decent target man.
McAnuff - Proven winger at this level who Rodgers clearly gets the best out of. Premiership class at best.
Howard - Once considered by some to be one of best midfielders outside the Prem. Lovely left foot, passionate, decent on the ball.
Bertrand - Chelsea hope to have him as the successor to Ashley Cole.

+1

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 21:16

It took Coppell 2 years to get things right, and we'd retained all of the squad which got us to 4th when he took over.

Karacan and Pearce should have played far more this year - most people should be able to see that, particularly in Karacan's case. The fact that Pearce who has statistically been our best defender this season was dropped at the experience of 'captain' Duberry who is now fighting relegation to League 2 with Wycombe says it all, as does Sheffield United's form since Mr Harper joined them.

Shorey will still leave Villa for a Premiership club and will be on decent wages at the moment - I wouldn't say his career is exactly over.

Agree about Bertrand, another superb signing by Rodgers - perhaps we could try and sign him permanently at the end of the season if he can't get a look in at Chelsea.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 21:19

Royalee It took Coppell 2 years to get things right, and we'd retained all of the squad which got us to 4th when he took over.

Karacan and Pearce should have played far more this year - most people should be able to see that, particularly in Karacan's case. The fact that Pearce who has statistically been our best defender this season was dropped at the experience of 'captain' Duberry who is now fighting relegation to League 2 with Wycombe says it all, as does Sheffield United's form since Mr Harper joined them.

Shorey will still leave Villa for a Premiership club and will be on decent wages at the moment - I wouldn't say his career is exactly over.

Agree about Bertrand, another superb signing by Rodgers - perhaps we could try and sign him permanently at the end of the season if he can't get a look in at Chelsea.

Point 1) I agree with basically.
Point 2) I think he actually gave them both a pretty good chance last season (and I still don't rate Pearce). Harps needed a new start somewhere else.
Point 3) Shorey will leave probably but I doubt he will ever get back to his form of a couple of years ago. His head has gone down.
Point 4) Whilst I would love to get Bertrand permanently, it's.not.gonna.happen.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Nov 2009 21:22

Not sure on Rasiak and Howard, and cummings is obviously a dud, but Bertrand and Mcanuff are good at this level. Mills will come good long term

I think he needed to add something a bit different and his signings are a mixed bag, but then what managers arent

127 posts