Back from the game: It was better...

194 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game: It was better...

by handbags_harris » 09 Nov 2009 19:43

Humanistic
Wycombe Royal
Humanistic Good post but could you explain why he 'deserved' the stick he got? He wasn't the greatest player we've had, sure, but I thought he was a perfectly reasonable championship right back and always gave his all.

The reason he got the boos was nothing to do with his footballing abilities, more to do with his mouth.....

I thought that might be the case, but I didn't really find anything to object to in that EP column. Maybe some are more sensitive than others..

Not a lot in the latest EP column, however during his time here he was even more full of bullshit that a constipated cow.

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 09 Nov 2009 19:56

Fair enough. I remember the England comment which does look a bit ridiculous now but I can't remember much else that warrants abuse. I'll probably place it with John Oster in the booings-I-don't-get file.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Nov 2009 20:00

Dirk Gently
Stranded The thing is it's not a loooong series of bad results, it's a continuation of a stupidly poor home record.

Our away record is solid midtable (we're 13th on the away table) it's the home form (where we are firmly routed last) that is the trouble. We need to win at home for everyone's sake, if we do then I believe we will be midtable this year, which for a rebuilding season is fine.

And the longer theh run at home goes on, the worst it becomes and the more it plays on players' minds, and the harder it is to overcome!

Isn't it the job of the management team to get inside players' heads?
Do we have a sports psychiatrist these days amongst all those employees that contributed to our massive wage bill?
When the great Bill Shankly bought players he would get as much detail about them as possible before buying.
Does the big book say anything about finding out the mental strength of players before actually buying them?
Our team at the moment seems to be full of players frightened of taking on responsibility so I hope that Brendan in this period of reflection is looking up the word "responsibility" in the big book to help him when the players return after the International break.
BTW there aren't so many going away on international duty these days are there?

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 09 Nov 2009 20:00

A no-mark player whose contribution to RFC will be remembered by very few. (And, tbf, his comments re England weren't that mad. If Richards could hold down a place then I reckon even I'm in with a shout).

However, couldn't really get worked up enough to give him any stick and the fact he was one of the better players on the pitch speaks volumes about the state of both clubs.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Nov 2009 20:07

I think it was also his general attitude, the Ashley Cole-esque facial contortion whenever a decision didn't go his way, the constant appeals for offside when he was caught out of position costing us goals, the general "you're nowhere near as good as you think you are" feeling whenever I read an interview of his. FWIW I didn't boo, I just gave him a load of stick.

Did you notice how he went missing four times at the far post during the game, one of which in part cost Ipswich a goal?

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 09 Nov 2009 21:14

handbags_harris I think it was also his general attitude, the Ashley Cole-esque facial contortion whenever a decision didn't go his way, the constant appeals for offside when he was caught out of position costing us goals, the general "you're nowhere near as good as you think you are" feeling whenever I read an interview of his. FWIW I didn't boo, I just gave him a load of stick.

Did you notice how he went missing four times at the far post during the game, one of which in part cost Ipswich a goal?

To be honest I was so amazed that we'd actually put the ball in the net! Perhaps allowing him to play against us was a canny ploy as we knew he'd go missing at some point. I appreciate all the points above, though I wouldn't mind him in the team now.

Big McC

by Big McC » 09 Nov 2009 21:32

Stranded
Dirk Gently
Stranded The thing is it's not a loooong series of bad results, it's a continuation of a stupidly poor home record.

Our away record is solid midtable (we're 13th on the away table) it's the home form (where we are firmly routed last) that is the trouble. We need to win at home for everyone's sake, if we do then I believe we will be midtable this year, which for a rebuilding season is fine.

And the longer theh run at home goes on, the worst it becomes and the more it plays on players' minds, and the harder it is to overcome!

Precisely and I really don't see how it's the managers fault given it started a long time before he came to the club. This home record simply defies belief and it's length is almost impossible esp given the lack of goals included (not scoring in 11 of the 16 games) - even Darlington with a meagre 5 points all season have won at home.

I think if and when we get this win, we may begin to see a fairly decent home record (the signs are there in the recent performances) and move toward the midtable obscurity that most anticipated this year.

I hope you're right! But frankly, I'm beginning to despair. Yes, logic says even a chance win must come at some point, and one would hope it's a turning point. The psychological burden on the players must be pretty huge right now especially given that it's only five games to go before it's a whole year since we won at home!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Nov 2009 08:10

Long bad / good runs are often followed by the opposite.

Just you wait.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 10 Nov 2009 09:56

I was on a train coming to the match last saturday and the carriage was full of noisy beer swilling Woking fans on their way to the cup tie at Swindon. I cannot remember the last time I encountered anything like this with Reading supporters on my away days.
We at RFC have forgotten how to get behind our football team and I think this dismal home run says something about us. Tommy Docherty once accused the Chelsea support as being useless and a waste of time, next home game The Shed was born so perhaps Rodgers ought to have a pop.
Alternatively play the Blackpool game behind closed doors and we might just turn this around.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Nov 2009 10:12

midfield diamond
Terminal Boardom What doesn't help is that it looks as if Rasiak and Church have never been introduced to each other. There is no combination or partnership visible between the two. No cohesion whatsoever. They look like total strangers which begs the question wtf do they do in training?

Surely Rodgers must realise that the strikers we have are just not good enough. Rasiak is mediocre, Church is too inexperienced and Long is way below his previous standard as an impact substitute.
The Madman must be pressed to release some funds for a loan striker otherwise the dire home form will continue

Totally agree - should have called for it. Could see Ingi waiting for the call and then panicking and making a hash of the clearance. Fed is a great shot stopper but just doesn't control his area.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 10 Nov 2009 10:23

Negative_Jeff I was on a train coming to the match last saturday and the carriage was full of noisy beer swilling Woking fans on their way to the cup tie at Swindon. I cannot remember the last time I encountered anything like this with Reading supporters on my away days.

You haven't been on the train with the likes of me and floyd yet. He's a nightmare when he's drunk!

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 10 Nov 2009 10:35

Negative_Jeff I was on a train coming to the match last saturday and the carriage was full of noisy beer swilling Woking fans on their way to the cup tie at Swindon. I cannot remember the last time I encountered anything like this with Reading supporters on my away days.
We at RFC have forgotten how to get behind our football team and I think this dismal home run says something about us. Tommy Docherty once accused the Chelsea support as being useless and a waste of time, next home game The Shed was born so perhaps Rodgers ought to have a pop.
Alternatively play the Blackpool game behind closed doors and we might just turn this around.

I'm not commenting on the noise or activity, but I thought 19k plus attendance on Saturday, after the home run we've had, was little short of amazing.

Ryn

by Ryn » 10 Nov 2009 11:07

I think the Reading fans have been very good at home, all things considered.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 10 Nov 2009 12:40

Compo's Hat

You haven't been on the train with the likes of me and floyd yet. He's a nightmare when he's drunk!

Self-praise is no praise gr8 m8 8)

Bristol City was the last time I was on a train of drunken raucous R's fans. I believe it will be the same again in December.

Tbf to Jeff, it doesn't happen often enough.

194 posts