Coppell resigns as Bristol City manager

223 posts
readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coppell does it again!

by readingbedding » 12 Aug 2010 12:50

Steve Coppell has resigned as Bristol City boss and retired from football management after just 112 days in charge of the npower Championship club.

The former Reading manager, who lasted just 33 days as Manchester City boss in 1996, has been replaced by assistant Keith Millen who has penned a three-year deal to replace the 55-year-old.

"It is with the deepest regret that I can confirm my departure from Bristol City," he said in a statement released through the League Managers' Association.

"I have made my decision after very careful consideration and I believe that it is in the best interests of both the club and me personally that we go our separate ways.

"I am retiring from football management but still feel I have a contribution to make to the game some time in the future."

Millen, who finished last season in temporary charge of the Robins following the departure of Gary Johnson in March, was surprised by Coppell's resignation but is excited by the prospect of leading the club on a full-time basis.

"I'm still getting over the shock really," said the 43-year-old. "I knew I wanted to do the job and last season I enjoyed it, but for certain reasons I decided to step aside from it and I was looking forward to working with Steve.

"I did enjoy working with him and we are still friends. We met last night, when he told me the news. He apologised for leaving me in this situation.

"You have to be your own man and go with your decisions. The players know, certainly from last year, how I like things working.

"I know Bristol City fans like to see entertaining football. I've been here long enough to know what their expectations are. I've got high expectations as well.

"I'll be looking to bring an assistant in and that's going to be an important appointment."

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coppell does it again!

by Silver Fox » 12 Aug 2010 12:51

That Friday Feeling
PorkyRfc As my mate pointed out - the last thing he did in football management was to give us £500k for Cisse. Well done agent Coppell!!

He says he still wants " a role in football"..........maybe coming home and taking over as director of football from Hapless Hammond??!!

The same Hapless Hammond that appointed Coppell and did the business that saw us reach the top division after 135 years of failure? The same Hapless Hammond that ensures we don't do a Pompey?

Christ, some of our fans are an embarrassment!

You took the words right out of my mouse

No Fixed Abode

Re: Coppell resigns as Bristol City manager

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Aug 2010 12:51

Coppell in. McDougnut out.

When you've lost to Scunthorpe and been taken into extra time against the mighty Torquay, it;s time for a change.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Aug 2010 12:52

CoppeLOLLOL

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coppel resigns

by Snowball » 12 Aug 2010 12:54

The rumour was quoted by BBC Radio Berkshire, and I got that second-hand from the Mrs.

Since then the SKY spin is he's retiring from football (but tho' it sounded like "forever" from them, it's less so on the Telegraph statement.)

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Aug 2010 12:58

"I did enjoy working with him and we are still friends. We met last night, when he told me the news. He apologised for leaving me in this situation.

"We need to concentrate on getting players fit again, bringing in some new faces and prepare correctly for Saturday's match at Doncaster."

Interesting quote from Millen when reading between the lines....

"fit", "new faces", "prepare correctly".....

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Aug 2010 13:01

The writing was on the wall when David James was brought in without SC's prior knowledge or agreement.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Aug 2010 13:01

Coppell obviously could find that love for a club like he did with us so every job he had he'd always be comparing it to us

Cant we get him in as director of football?

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 12 Aug 2010 13:03

paultheroyal

"We need to concentrate on getting players fit again, bringing in some new faces and prepare correctly for Saturday's match at Doncaster."

Interesting quote from Millen when reading between the lines....

"fit", "new faces", "prepare correctly".....

Fit - Maynard's injured.
New faces - Kitson was supposed to be coming in, they're also looking at a kid from Wycombe.
Prepare correctly - i.e. not take our eye off the next game and go about it the way Coppell would have.

All matters that Coppell would have been dealing with - the new man must make sure of continuity. No lines to read between here, move along, please.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 12 Aug 2010 13:04

Dirk Gently The writing was on the wall when David James was brought in without SC's prior knowledge or agreement.

is this true? and if yes, how does one know?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Aug 2010 13:07

Does he win the sack race if he walks?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Aug 2010 13:09

Thought it might not last at the time, he's not comfortable being away from his family home for any length of time. Here's to him getting an honourary role with Reading of some description.

All in all not a particularly good start for Bristol City to this season (and will David James look to move again - perhaps Exeter need keeper cover)?

On the bright side he gave us some valuable wonga for Cisse

havoc

by havoc » 12 Aug 2010 13:10

Tredder
Dirk Gently The writing was on the wall when David James was brought in without SC's prior knowledge or agreement.

is this true? and if yes, how does one know?

Didn't James say speaking with Coppell helped convince him to sign :?: :?

havoc

by havoc » 12 Aug 2010 13:11

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Aug 2010 13:11

Who is Coppel? :shock:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Aug 2010 13:11

the comment he makes about still being involved in football would lead me to think he'll be an ever present with Jeff Stelling or in the studio somewhere as he has done a fair few times this last year - no pressure or stress. Loves the game. He's ideal for it imo.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 12 Aug 2010 13:13

I understood that Coppell did have the prior knowledge of James and he was the one who made the call to James as was quoted in several interviews. However how much choice was he given over making that call?

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 12 Aug 2010 13:13

James continued: "It sounded nice and if it hadn't been Steve Coppell I would have ignored it straight away. It wouldn't have worked any other way.

"Bristol's finish last season was decent and the manager is someone I have a high respect for.

"Having seen him now for the two days [in training] it makes sense."

Case Dismissed.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Aug 2010 13:15

No point going to the game on Boxing day now.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Aug 2010 13:17

can't see him going to Villa, think he just accepted the club wasn't for him, after all how can brizzle compare to the mighty royals

223 posts