Mills, Pearce, Zurab: Howard etc

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Mills, Pearce, Zurab: Howard etc

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2010 13:11

Who'd be a manager?

Should Pearce stay in the side now Mills has served his suspension?

Do you bring back Mills and put Kish in defensive midfield?

Does Howard get straight back in? (Only in a 5-man midfield, IMO)

Does Stretch lose his place? He's surely going to get better?

Or does Stretch get a go at left-back?

Bring Griffin in for Cummings if he's back to full fitness and sharp?

Great headaches to have!!

kitson the god

Re: Mills, Pearce, Zurab: Howard etc

by kitson the god » 03 Oct 2010 13:47

I think I might leave it to McDermott to decide. It's giving me a headache

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2010 14:03

I've full trust in Brian.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2010 14:25

It's really really hard to pick with any of them IMO.

I think you have to operate on those with the shirt keep it until they foul up, unless the other player is clearly playing much better. And I think Mills is probably the only one really that much better than those with the shirts and he hasn't been playing at the top of his game this season.

We may not have fantastic striking options, or many players who obviously capable of playing at the next level. But we do have a lot of players who are all capable of having long and successful careers at this level.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 03 Oct 2010 14:31

Leave the back 9 as is IMO - for the following reasons:

1. Cummings - he has grown in confidence over the past few games and hasn't made too many mistakes. Also, I think the filip (sp) of being selected ahead of a fully fit Griffin will only serve to add to his confidence.

2. Mills - needs to be "taught a lesson" IMO - too many stupid fouls and a needless sending off against Ipswich means he's a bit of a liability at the moment. Pearce has played well in the last two games as has Zurab barring one cock up v Preston. Don't forget that, had Jason Scotland's finishing been a bit better, Mills would have gifted Ipswich the lead on Tuesday.

3. The midfield looks preety good at the moment - Karacan has had two blinding games in a week - especially yesterday and Armstrong looks solid too.

In fact, the only change I would make would be Hunt for Church. Although Long hasn't scored a goal in open play yet this season, his all round play is better than Church's (won a hell of a lot in the air yesterday) and I think a goal from open play will cause him to kick on this season. Hunty looked prety good yesterday so I think it's time to give him a chance in the starting XI.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 03 Oct 2010 15:08

T.R.O.L.I. Leave the back 9 as is IMO - for the following reasons:

1. Cummings - he has grown in confidence over the past few games and hasn't made too many mistakes. Also, I think the filip (sp) of being selected ahead of a fully fit Griffin will only serve to add to his confidence.

2. Mills - needs to be "taught a lesson" IMO - too many stupid fouls and a needless sending off against Ipswich means he's a bit of a liability at the moment. Pearce has played well in the last two games as has Zurab barring one cock up v Preston. Don't forget that, had Jason Scotland's finishing been a bit better, Mills would have gifted Ipswich the lead on Tuesday.

3. The midfield looks preety good at the moment - Karacan has had two blinding games in a week - especially yesterday and Armstrong looks solid too.

In fact, the only change I would make would be Hunt for Church. Although Long hasn't scored a goal in open play yet this season, his all round play is better than Church's (won a hell of a lot in the air yesterday) and I think a goal from open play will cause him to kick on this season. Hunty looked prety good yesterday so I think it's time to give him a chance in the starting XI.

Basically, this is close of thread. Spot on TROLlers.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 03 Oct 2010 16:10

I would go along with that. However, when McDermott has done things that I have disagreed with, he has always been proved to be right so far.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2010 16:13

Hard to argue with that. if that was the first eleven...

We have two reasonable keepers after Federici

McArthy
Griffin, Mills, Ingi, Williams
HRK, Howard, Tabb, Antonio
Taylor, Church

and Kelly, Bignall with Mooney out on loan.

That's not a bad squad

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2010 16:16

Much as I think Mills is capable of being a great centre-half (he won the game for us at Leicester)

I do think he needs to learn a bit more discipline, and I don't think making him captain has helped.

If Ingi can ever deserve a starting place again, he'd be a good captain, but what about Harte?

A real, "safe" leader on the pitch would improve us further

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 03 Oct 2010 20:03

McAnuff was captain on Saturday - didn't really have much of a captain's "rallying the troops" role to do but he seemed to be able to talk to the referee in a calm nature and diffuse any potential flashpoints.

As with Cummings at right back, I'm more than happy for him to continue until he proves us wrong (which will hopefully be never) or until Mills can show that he's grown up a bit.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Oct 2010 20:42

Fully agree about Mills not getting back into the side straight away. he needs to calm it down. Besides Pearce has done ok this season bar the Boro game.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Oct 2010 21:02

Howard may have to get used to reserve team football.
I think McD will want to keep Harte on the pitch and may consider moving him to centre back if he decides Armstrong is our best left back.
I know the Long haters can't wait for Hunt to start but the latter still looks too rusty for anything other than the bench.
I believe his toughest decision will be at right back but these are all good problems for any manager to have.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 03 Oct 2010 22:01

Mills and Zurab all the way. Easily our best 2 CBs in the long run.

Pearce has done Ok recently, but the other 2 are a different league over 46 games.

Same goes for Cummings. Wont get a look in once Griffin is back.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Ignore it at your peril.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Oct 2010 09:33

I think Long has played pretty well this season, it's Church who has totally failed to take his opportunity either because he's trying too hard or just isn't very good. I'd drop Church and play the extra man in midfield.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 Oct 2010 10:01

Snowball Who'd be a manager?

Should Pearce stay in the side now Mills has served his suspension? - NO

Do you bring back Mills and put Kish in defensive midfield? NO

Does Howard get straight back in? (Only in a 5-man midfield, IMO) - YES

Does Stretch lose his place? He's surely going to get better? - YES

Or does Stretch get a go at left-back? NO

Bring Griffin in for Cummings if he's back to full fitness and sharp? - YES x 1000

Great headaches to have!!

Ryn

by Ryn » 04 Oct 2010 14:17

I'd like to see:

Fed

Griffin - Mills - Zurab - Armstrong

Kebe - Tabb - Karacan - HRK

Hunt - Church

Armstrong > Harte in terms of all round game

Mills a liability but still a better centre back than Pearce, Pearce still good enough to fill in for suspensions however; Zurab is the first name on the sheet for me

McAnuff looks like had enough at the moment so I'd leave him on the bench;

Tabb > Howard (but Howard will do until Tabb is fit);

Long seems to have lost his way a bit. Reminds me of Tony Rougier, a good game most weeks but no goals. Hunt looks rusty but a start will do him good I think;

Church is the only poacher we have got so he has to go there with Hunt, possibly play McAnuff in that role instead if required.

Good headaches to have in a threadbare squad, my only continuing concern is the lack of striking options.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 04 Oct 2010 16:06

At the moment Pearce > Mills. He needs to be taught a lesson, and left out of the side for a couple of games, he does not deserve to be captain when he is such a liability.

Ryn

by Ryn » 04 Oct 2010 16:46

Why not make him sit on the naughty step while you're at it?

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 04 Oct 2010 16:56

Ok, let's take your 'logic' into consideration. If he comes back in for the next match, I and many other don't think he should, and gets himself sent off, which is entirely plausible, then will you agree he needs to be taught a lesson? How many more red cards will it take before you think it'd be fit to discipline him, for what will be, if he doesn't get disciplined, a regular occurence this season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Oct 2010 17:04

i do think after 1 red card its a little harsh to be talking about teaching a lesson.

but i do think that because he missed out, the two in possession of the shirt will retain their places until they get injured/suspended/have a bad game

and luckily thats how BMcD thinks too.