Best RFC pitch invasions of our time

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Best RFC pitch invasions of our time

by Fox Talbot » 20 Sep 2011 15:41

vaguely recall a one man pitch invasion at EP in the 70s v Lincoln? where a RFC fan took issue with the ref. FA charges followed.

also after the 8-0 v Southport in 1970 but I think in those days it was more or less tradiitonal to come on the pitch after the last home game of every season.

Millwall and Stoke I think both invaded the pitch from the stands in the 1980s.

Were RFC fans not on the pitch after the Palace 1-6 in 1995?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 20 Sep 2011 15:42

I'll second the Oxford 3-0 Reading in 98, there were about 100 Reading fans watching from the 50ft tall trees in the grounds of the John Radcliffe hospital too

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 20 Sep 2011 15:45

Focher I'll second the Oxford 3-0 Reading in 98, there were about 100 Reading fans watching from the 50ft tall trees in the grounds of the John Radcliffe hospital too

And Bullivant did get sacked the next day, then launched a tirade about "people on the internet who'd undermined him."

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Sep 2011 15:46

Chillax Terry, it's only the internetz.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Sep 2011 16:22

I remember going on the pitch at Elm Park a couple of times - one to chant "Waller Out" and another time I can't remember why - last day of the season and the players all came out with John Madejski I seem to remember - must have won something :wink:

I've been standing in the east side of the South Bank when Millwall/Pompey/Swindon/Bristol City et al have broken down the flimsy wire fencing and rampaged the South Bank. I stood my ground though.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Sep 2011 16:27

Fox Talbot vaguely recall a one man pitch invasion at EP in the 70s v Lincoln? where a RFC fan took issue with the ref. FA charges followed.

also after the 8-0 v Southport in 1970 but I think in those days it was more or less tradiitonal to come on the pitch after the last home game of every season.

Millwall and Stoke I think both invaded the pitch from the stands in the 1980s.

Were RFC fans not on the pitch after the Palace 1-6 in 1995?

Stoke came piling in on the last day of the 90/91 season and it was McGhee's first game in charge. IIRC, the Stokies paid Alan Ball's pub near Maidenhead a visit and trashed it. And I stood my ground in the South Bank while the mongs disappeared 8)

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Sep 2011 16:37

Terminal Boardom
Stoke came piling in on the last day of the 90/91 season and it was McGhee's first game in charge. IIRC, the Stokies paid Alan Ball's pub near Maidenhead a visit and trashed it. And I stood my ground in the South Bank while the mongs disappeared 8)

The steward who manned the gate underneath the clock got a complete shoeing which I thought was a bit unsporting.

I was at the Manor in 1998 and I'm pretty sure there was no pitch invasion? There were running battles outside in the John Radcliffe car park and a sit down protest in front of the team bus. There were plenty sat on the Cuckoo Lane fences, but no-one on the pitch iirc.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 20 Sep 2011 16:47

Also, Sheffield Weds, end of Elm Park era. Sad times.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Sep 2011 16:51

Maguire Reading 2-1 Wigan in the p/o semi-final.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Sep 2011 16:54

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Sep 2011 16:58

I couldn't get on the pitch for the last game at EP v Norwich - because I was on crutches and couldn't get over the wall. LOLz.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Sep 2011 17:15

Fox Talbot vaguely recall a one man pitch invasion at EP in the 70s v Lincoln? where a RFC fan took issue with the ref. FA charges followed.

If it was the one that happened at the end of a game, it was a lot more than one man and the crowd genuinely were after the ref! Can't remember exactly what the ref did wrong but it must have been pretty significant as the crowd really was incensed. I was a teenager at the time and wasn't far away from the bloke who lept towards the ref and shoulder charged him to the ground before the police rescued the ref and arrested his attacker.

The lynch mob the proceeded around to wait outside the officials entrance in Norfolk Road. The opposition's kit was carried out to the coach in a massive basket and there were jokes that the ref had been smuggled out in that. He may well have been, as he never left via Norfolk Road! Either that or the police took him out via the Southbank.

Amazingly I think I can still remember the ref's name - a Mr Morrissey (not that one!). Another one to remember along with George Cain, the butcher of Bootle!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 20 Sep 2011 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Sep 2011 17:17

That's a great photo in so many ways.

From the classic 90s "step" haircut of the the lad on the right, to the completely disinterested demeanour of the steward facing the camera (only RFC would out a young girl on the perimeter in front of the most boistrous section of the ground on a day when their was absolutely guaranteed to be a pitch invasion).

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 20 Sep 2011 18:44

FiNeRaIn I was onthe pitch for the 0-0 with cambridge as well, steward says " im not stopping you lads"...so we all piled over and ran on to voice disgust at madejski.

That was probably the worst one i've been involved in!

Norwich i got a nice accidental whack by Scott Howie's elbow as he tried to escape down the tunnel.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Sep 2011 19:02

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 20 Sep 2011 19:03

Paul McCann's one man invasion after a Mickey Gooding equaliser on a Friday night at Stockport in 1994 was my personal favourite. He ran on, tripped on the running track and landed teeth first in the grass before getting a kick in the stomach from a steward and an eviction from the ground whilst the rest of us enjoyed a 1-1 draw that set us well on the way to the Championship.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 Sep 2011 19:03

Aldershot away boxing day game about 83 I think. It was a great turnout of Royals 3,000 plus I would say. We laid seige to the Shots goal but could not score then Trevor ran through slid it under the keeper me and me mate leapt over the wall to give Trev a hug behind the goal. In all the excitement we hadn't realised the offside flag had gone up......... :oops: Game ended 0-0 but we still went up that year.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Sep 2011 19:12

Royal Lady I remember going on the pitch at Elm Park a couple of times - one to chant "Waller Out" and another time I can't remember why - last day of the season and the players all came out with John Madejski I seem to remember - must have won something :wink:

I've been standing in the east side of the South Bank when Millwall/Pompey/Swindon/Bristol City et al have broken down the flimsy wire fencing and rampaged the South Bank. I stood my ground though.

Yes remember the Waller out one - was home to Preston when we lost and went bottom of D3 1982/83. He put the club up for sale the next week - Ian Gillan of Deep Purple was front runner to buy the club for a while but somehow Waller p1ssed him off.

The worst away invasion I remember was Portsmouth 1976/77 - that was scary - they charged across the pitch towards the Tilehurst end complete nutters.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 20 Sep 2011 20:13

Best pitch invasion at Elm Park during the game was by Portsmouth knuckle-draggers in 1976.

They took the Southbank before kick off and after hundreds of them invaded the pitch (after going 2-0 down) caused havoc in the Tilehurst End.

Remember Hetzke standing his ground and casually watching them as they buzzed around him on the pitch.

Div 3?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 20 Sep 2011 20:17

floyd__streete
1996/97 - Reading 1-6 Palace, Quinn Out. After he had apparently offered out Dariusz Wdowczyk in training a week or two before. Uri Gellar attempted to placate us via a megaphone :lol:

That was my first ever game, but I'd been taken by a local councillor with my brother and a few kids from the local youth club, so missed the pitch invasion. :lol: