Even More Plastics at Football

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Even More Plastics at Football

by Uke » 18 Nov 2011 09:15

Plastic itches coming back?

They alway remind me of the "tablecloths"that Quick Turnover used to have in the greengrocer shop.

WTF is wrong with grass - just how much can you save in salaries for groundsmen?

Artificial pitches could make a shock comeback if some Football League clubs get their way.

They were banned in 1988 because of complaints they caused injuries and that the quality of football played on them was poor.

Now Wycombe and Accrington are among two clubs keen to reintroduce them in a bid to cut costs and increase revenue.

"Within 10 years, we will see quite a number of pitches," insisted Wycombe vice-chairman Brian Kane.

Accrington chief executive Rob Heys added: "There's been a change of opinion recently. There is an appetite for them."

Luton Town, Oldham Athletic, Preston North End and Queen's Park Rangers all possessed artificial pitches until they were outlawed by the Football Association in the late 1980s, although Preston continued to use theirs until the end of the 1993-94 season.

Since then, technology has advanced significantly and a number of top-flight clubs in Italy, France, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Russia now play on artificial pitches.

Several lower-division sides in Scotland use them as well, while the FA permits their use in such competitions as the FA Trophy, FA Vase and Women's Premier League.

These hi-tech pitches are approved by world governing body Fifa, while Uefa, which runs football in Europe, allows Champions League ties to be played on artificial surfaces.

England were beaten 2-1 by Russia in a Euro 2008 qualifying game at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, while Tottenham Hotspur met Swiss side Young Boys in a Champions League play-off game in 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15722636.stm

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Even More Plastics at Football

by cmonurz » 18 Nov 2011 09:18

We're not talking about a Luton-style 'wear your trainers' plastic pitch though, are we? This is more advanced 'almost real' artificial grass. Can't see it will make much difference.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Nov 2011 09:23

cmonurz We're not talking about a Luton-style 'wear your trainers' plastic pitch though, are we? This is more advanced 'almost real' artificial grass. Can't see it will make much difference.

"more advanced 'almost real' artificial grass" sounds too much like "the best fake tan developed yet"

It may be better, but it still ain't the real thing

Why don't they use it for Wimbledon and the Oval?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Nov 2011 09:40

It's a bollocks idea.

It's as if grass is a rare commodity.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 18 Nov 2011 10:04

readingbedding It's a bollocks idea.

But expensive. I can understand the lower league clubs wanting to give it a go.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 18 Nov 2011 10:36

I have played on a few of these new 3g type pitches, similar to the one England played Russia on and they are fantastic. Didn't notice any difference and was 10x better than 90% of Sunday league pitches. Remember how bad our pitch gets in the winter too!?

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Nov 2011 13:34

cmonurz We're not talking about a Luton-style 'wear your trainers' plastic pitch though, are we? This is more advanced 'almost real' artificial grass. Can't see it will make much difference.

How often do you play on this new 3g stuff?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Nov 2011 13:40

If you can't maintain run a grass pitch then you shouldn't be operating a professional football club.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Nov 2011 13:46

TheMaraudingDog

I don't, but I know a bit about it. What's your point?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Nov 2011 13:48

roadrunner
readingbedding It's a bollocks idea.

But expensive. I can understand the lower league clubs wanting to give it a go.

Few sacks of grass seed + a couple of groundsmen's salaries is a lot cheaper than digging up the ground and installing a plastic pitch, presumably also tying them into a contract over the next 20 yeras or so for maintenance

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Nov 2011 13:49

cmonurz
TheMaraudingDog

Kid's school has the new 3G stuff on it's all weather training pitches

The reception hasn't been good

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Nov 2011 13:54

cmonurz
TheMaraudingDog

My point is; if you don't play on them how is it possible to have an opinion on how much difference there is?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Nov 2011 13:55

Because it is used across leagues in Europe, seemingly with no issue.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Nov 2011 14:01

Costly for cash strapped clubs...

http://www.kentsport.org/news_NOF11.cfm
The total project cost is £432,138; £349,138 secured by KCC through the Big Lottery Fund, £50,000 by Swale Borough Council, £18,000 by Minster College PTFA and £15,000 from Queenborough Fishery Trust. Kent County Council has also invested over £600,000 into the internal sports facilities and changing areas to complement this development.

Also ther'll be a clear home advantage from the consistent performance of the turf and the requirement for rubber studs...

Third Generation or 3G pitches as they are known, represent a new development in synthetic turf. The pitch itself is a Desso Soccergrass TD60 and it looks like natural grass with similar playing characteristics, non-abrasive and can be used with rubber studs. The open structure gives a firmer grip and provides for better ball control. Pushing off, running, stopping or tackling are all possible without additional risk of injury. This thanks to the mix of quartz sand and rubber granules layered into the pitch, which provide effective protection and added shock absorption. The floodlights and all weather capabilities of the pitch will make it ideal for rugby training but importantly it can be used for competitive football matches and meets with FA and UEFA standards. The durability of the surface means that matches can be played concurrently one after the other and could provide a solution to all those matches that are postponed during wet weather. It is not just wet weather the pitch in beneficial for, in summer grass pitches harden which increases the risk of injury whilst a 3G pitch retains its impact absorbency.

So when everyone else is used to "summer pitches..."

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Nov 2011 14:05

It's that second point that surprises me this isn't going down very well in your kids' school - a consistent surface with some, but not too much, give, year round, has to be better than 'summer pitches' or astro turf.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Nov 2011 14:14

cmonurz It's that second point that surprises me this isn't going down very well in your kids' school - a consistent surface with some, but not too much, give, year round, has to be better than 'summer pitches' or astro turf.

Whoosh :)

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Nov 2011 14:18

Probably. One of those days/weeks/months. :mrgreen:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 18 Nov 2011 14:19

3G pitch.

Reception not good.

You joker!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Nov 2011 14:22

It took a while :D

cmonurz consistent surface with some, but not too much, give, year round, has to be better than 'summer pitches' or astro turf.

Why? It's better to be adaptable than to be a one trick pony

Can see its use for training/5 a side pitches rented out every night

But for a real pitch?

Why aren't cricket pitches, Wimbledon and racecourses going 3G?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Nov 2011 14:35

Toon Toon Blue army I have played on a few of these new 3g type pitches, similar to the one England played Russia on and they are fantastic. Didn't notice any difference and was 10x better than 90% of Sunday league pitches. Remember how bad our pitch gets in the winter too!?

Agreed, 3G is excellent and presumably 4G will be even better.

Personally I think it'd be madness to carry on with real turf, mud, puddles, bobbles etc. when the alternatives become cheaper and better and increase revenue generation. If it's not been achieved yet to everyone's satisfaction it's certainly not far away.

Traditionalists will probably stand in the way of progress for another decade or 2 but it will certainly come.