Anti-Reading sentiment

Born 'n Bred Royal

Anti-Reading sentiment

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 23 Sep 2012 17:03

We all know the BBC seem to brush Reading aside without a moment's thought, but after our pretty poor start to the season has anyone else noticed that nearly every pundit and even every neutral fan have been quick to say how poor and lacking in ideas we are.

The problem is they overlook that Reading seem to make a habit (especially last year) of starting slowly - what is also overlooked is how McDermott moulded us into a Championship winning side when no-one gave anyone a hope apart from Leicester and West Ham last season who we made look decidedly average. It just seems like a typical knee-jerk reaction from the BBC (and Lawro) in particular to call us so poor or favourites for relegation without looking at the bigger picture, we're only 5 games in for god sake.

Perhaps what annoyed me more is getting abuse off of two Liverpool fans yesterday at how we play 'long ball' football and are certainties for relegation which i thought was quite rich considering they've just had their worst start to the season since 1928, coincidentally with our worst manager in the modern era. Does anyone care to do a bit of research on the difference in wage bills and transfer fees between us and every other club? I'm pretty sure we must have the lowest expenditure in the league, another fact that is constantly overlooked in the modern game. Just a quick rant but I'm pretty sure even Southampton who are on a similar level to us aren't getting this kind of coverage... I Just hope the players (particularly the new players) block it out and concentrate on getting back to the kind of form that saw us beat the odds last season!

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Anti-Reading sentiment

by creative_username_1 » 23 Sep 2012 17:15

Certain teams starting slowly argument is bullshit

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 23 Sep 2012 17:18

You can't claim that saying we're favourites for relegation is "anti-Reading sentiment" when we're odds on for the drop.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Sep 2012 17:26

To be fair we're sh*te at the moment.

As you rightly say we're likely to get it right and pick up, but yeah he BBC/rest of the prem aren't going to believe it till they see it. And that suits us just fine thank you very much. We're better at coming from behind than Boy George and long may that continue.

As for the Liverpool fans (my premiership team as a child) I think they're the one club who can't talk down to us after we humiliated them at Anfield. Hold your head high. The more anti-reading sentiment the better. We'll show them.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 23 Sep 2012 17:32

I agree that our squad, management and back room staff don't get the credit they deserve in general, sometimes even from our own fans. That's good though, because it's good motivation to prove them wrong and it will be all the sweeter at the end of the season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Sep 2012 17:36

We all know the BBC seem to brush Reading aside without a moment's thought, but after our pretty poor start to the season has anyone else noticed that nearly every pundit and even every neutral fan have been quick to say how poor and lacking in ideas we are.

why is this a surprise after taking one point, from 4 games, and being outplayed in the only game anyone will have taken any real notice of
and who gives a fluck anyway

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 23 Sep 2012 17:40

I didn't mean anti-Reading just because we're favourites for the drop, I meant more generally. I guess I'm just looking for something to moan at other than the team's performances this season :oops: . I'm not a fan of being teased by fans of Man Utd and Liverpool, especially when I've been to their grounds more than they have...

And yes, I believe McDermott is one of the most underrated managers in the top flight right now, I bet Hansen and co had never even heard of him until last month!

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 23 Sep 2012 17:42

In every case I can remember of newly promoted teams staying up it's been the case of a flying start to the season followed by trailing off after Christmas having already done enough to secure their future.

We really are going to have to buck the trend now to stay up.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Sep 2012 17:46

Born 'n Bred Royal We all know the BBC seem to brush Reading aside without a moment's thought, but after our pretty poor start to the season has anyone else noticed that nearly every pundit and even every neutral fan have been quick to say how poor and lacking in ideas we are!

Yes, but we are.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 23 Sep 2012 17:47

We've deserved what we're getting so far this season, but I agree, in general, everyone does seem to hate us. The BBC, the bookies, sky.....even EA; despite finishing consistently highly in the championship we are always rated as one of the worst teams - heck, our highest player was rated 71 last year, forest had about 6/7 rated 72 or higher.

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 23 Sep 2012 17:49

urz13 We've deserved what we're getting so far this season, but I agree, in general, everyone does seem to hate us. The BBC, the bookies, sky.....even EA; despite finishing consistently highly in the championship we are always rated as one of the worst teams - heck, our highest player was rated 71 last year, forest had about 6/7 rated 72 or higher.

Haha, totally agree with this, especially on Football Manager - where every season in the championship our media prediction is mid table

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 23 Sep 2012 17:54

Friday's Legacy
Born 'n Bred Royal We all know the BBC seem to brush Reading aside without a moment's thought, but after our pretty poor start to the season has anyone else noticed that nearly every pundit and even every neutral fan have been quick to say how poor and lacking in ideas we are!

Yes, but we are.

What I forgot to say is pundits (Robbie Savage in particular) were saying this even before we kicked off against Stoke. But you make a good point, I suppose he's been vindicated in saying that so far...

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Sep 2012 18:16

[quote="Born 'n Bred Royal"]We all know the BBC seem to brush Reading aside without a moment's thought, but after our pretty poor start to the season has anyone else noticed that nearly every pundit and even every neutral fan have been quick to say how poor and lacking in ideas we are. quote]

Might have something to do with us being poor and lacking in ideas.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 23 Sep 2012 18:17

Schards#2
Born 'n Bred Royal We all know the BBC seem to brush Reading aside without a moment's thought, but after our pretty poor start to the season has anyone else noticed that nearly every pundit and even every neutral fan have been quick to say how poor and lacking in ideas we are. quote]

Might have something to do with us being poor and lacking in ideas.

Death to non-believers

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 23 Sep 2012 18:19

Why would I give a shit about what other people think of my club. Heck, I don't even give a shit about what most of our own supporters think about it.

If you have an inferiority complex go and support United or City.

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 23 Sep 2012 18:27

blueroyals Why would I give a shit about what other people think of my club. Heck, I don't even give a shit about what most of our own supporters think about it.

Fair point, but I personally couldn't think of anything worse than supporting a club 300 miles away from where I live

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 23 Sep 2012 18:28

blueroyals Why would I give a shit about what other people think of my club. Heck, I don't even give a shit about what most of our own supporters think about it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Sep 2012 18:34

To be honest, most of what i've seen from neutrals has been fair comment on the evidence of our first 4 games.

The only person I've taken umbradge to was a Man Utd supporting twat at work who wrote Mcleary off as only ever having 1 good game and not good enough for the Premier before a ball was even kicked. However, he also described Eden Hazzard as, and I quote, "a luxury player who won't win you games" so clearly he knows nothing about football.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Sep 2012 18:56

The fact he is a Man Utd supporter should have made that pretty obvious from the beginning.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2012 20:19

BOOM!