SIGNED - Hope Akpan

557 posts
Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hope Akpan

by Avon Royal » 08 Jan 2013 20:25

West Stand Man
West Stand Flash
RTG'S in full flow here. Congratulations.

People with a positive outlook on life live much longer.
Twat.

Are we signing posts now?

Awesome.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Jan 2013 20:28

akranes . .......or 'accidentally' broke someones leg (in two places), I don't want a player like that here.

I don't recall anyone thinking that hard man Phil Parkinson was unwelcome here. We have been crying out for a bit of strong arm in midfield. Now it is here you object?

Homophobia is something else but let's not confuse the issues here.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SIGNED - Hope Akpan

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Jan 2013 20:29

Chances of staying up?

Three hopes - Bob Hope, No Hope & Hope Akpan.

Sorry couldn't resist. :oops:

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 08 Jan 2013 20:31

ITT:

STG's assume this is a key signing. Disappointment/Rage ensues.
RTG's assume this is a development signing. Zealous patience ensues.
Last edited by royalZILLAAA on 08 Jan 2013 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: DONE DEAL - Akpan

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2013 20:31

winchester_royal
Ian Royal
winchester_royal Well I'm pleased with this even if you lot aren't.

http://www.player.readingfc.co.uk/lates ... First-Half

Worth watching this if you have player.

Calm, confident and assured on the ball, strong, quick..

Looks to be everything we've been lacking in midfield this season.

Welcome Hope.

I wish you hadn't posted that. That was a pretty dire 45 minutes of football.

I thought the game bypassed Akpan for large swathes of that 45 minutes and in amongst a handful of shows of potential (ok passing, strength and calmness) he was largely pedestrian and like a League One version of Leigertwood. Which would probably explain why McDermott likes him. Obviously you can't judge a player on 45 minutes of football from one dodgy camera angle, but watching that has made me question whether he's got what it takes to play more than a bit part in the Championship next year for us, let alone play in the top flight.

To be perfectly honest, if there was one midfielder I'd want to play for us having watched that 45 minutes it would be Tabb, and Tabb alone.

It was a pretty shocking game of football (why all the BFTG talk centered around the fans i suppose).

Tbf to Akpan, the game bypassed all of the midfield, mainly because the ball spent 90% of the time in the air, but thought when he got the ball he showed plenty of class.

You also have to take into account it being a shocking pitch.

Think the comparison to Ledge is harsh, certainly has more technique and class about him.

Fair enough. I actually thought the two bright points of the 45 were when we briefly got it down and played it through the centre with one and two touch passing. Both involved Tabb. We almost looked Premier League class in those glimpses. Compared to the rest which was mid-table Championship cloggers at best.

As I said, don't see a lot to be hopefully about there, but it wasn't a half for midfielders to shine and it is only 45 minutes.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Jan 2013 20:35

Colin Cheeselog
Scutterbucketz We need players NOW!!! We didn't throw Morrison straight into the first team! He's been here a year and benefitted from the coaching that came with it. All your points are bollox! Especially the one about Man Utd, who are top of the table and can afford to take a punt on someone nobody's ever heard of every once in a while because they've still got signings like RVP when the gambles don't come off, so not one gives a fukk.

Hello Scutter (can I call you that?).

I would very much like to shít up your cúnt, you massive, thick mong.

Regards,

Colin

I can see why you've taken that tone with Scutz, he got it wrong about Morrison, he's been here 2 years now (signed Jan 2011). 2 years to break into the team because of a contract wrangle and injury propelling him from 4th choice into the starting eleven.

Have to admit I'm totally underwhelmed by this signing. Is he 20 or 21 though? And will he count as one of the 25 man squad? If he doesn't count as one of the 25 then I'm not fussed, his (supposed) potential and age make it a deal worth doing now. If he takes a spot in the 25 and therefore means we're less likely to get one of the experienced players McDermott said he wanted, then I'm more disappointed.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Jan 2013 20:37

Hoop Blah
Colin Cheeselog
Scutterbucketz We need players NOW!!! We didn't throw Morrison straight into the first team! He's been here a year and benefitted from the coaching that came with it. All your points are bollox! Especially the one about Man Utd, who are top of the table and can afford to take a punt on someone nobody's ever heard of every once in a while because they've still got signings like RVP when the gambles don't come off, so not one gives a fukk.

Regards,

Colin

I can see why you've taken that tone with Scutz, he got it wrong about Morrison, he's been here 2 years now (signed Jan 2011). 2 years to break into the team because of a contract wrangle and injury propelling him from 4th choice into the starting eleven.

Have to admit I'm totally underwhelmed by this signing. Is he 20 or 21 though? And will he count as one of the 25 man squad? If he doesn't count as one of the 25 then I'm not fussed, his (supposed) potential and age make it a deal worth doing now. If he takes a spot in the 25 and therefore means we're less likely to get one of the experienced players McDermott said he wanted, then I'm more disappointed.

21, and no he doesn't count as one of the 25

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 08 Jan 2013 20:42

There are 23 days left of the transfer window. 23 days.

This sight is full of clowns. :roll:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Jan 2013 20:44

*site

Unless your spelling was an ironic comment on their lack of foresight, in which case I apologise.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 08 Jan 2013 20:44

I'm not adverse to giving the club stick when needed, but there is nothing wrong with this signing.

I think people need to get over the idea that we are going to bring in the players necessary to keep us up, I just don't think that is going to happen now. The summer was the time to strengthen further, sadly it's probably too late now.
Last edited by Avon Royal on 08 Jan 2013 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 08 Jan 2013 20:48

Colin Cheeselog

Regards,

Colin

Good one, Colin. I don't go in for that sort of thing though, I'm afraid. Not with bollocks spouting, fukktards like you anyway.
Last edited by Scutterbucketz on 08 Jan 2013 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 08 Jan 2013 20:49

TheSiege
scumbag
TheSiege He's a young player, trained in the Everton Academy and seems to possibly be a late bloomer. Would guess his name was mentioned by the Scouts when they scouted Crawley and this was followed up by looking at his history and checking him out during the Cup encounter. If BMcD has seen enough to make a bid (which would not be a huge amount), I would suggest we give him a chance. I doubt he is a signing for this Season and may just be a good addition to the Club in general. His tackling can be a bit wild but good coaching may teach him when to use his aggression and when not to. A young aggressive midfield tackler is not a bad acquisition! p.s. Forget the supposed homophobic rubbish!

He has spoken.

/end thread.

:wink:

Nuff' said!

Hey TheSiege, you've finally found a friend!

Ok, he's called 'scumbag', but beggars can't be choosers, eh?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2013 20:53

RoyalJames101 There are 23 days left of the transfer window. 23 days.

This sight is full of clowns. :roll:

You are aware we have two games we should be targetting for points if not both wins in that period, one against a relegation rival? Followed by another game we should be looking to win 2 days afterwards? We could do with decent quality players who are fit and ready to play in the PL now.

So far the statement of intent says we've already settled for relegation and are planning our team for next year. And unfortunately based around largely the same system and style of play that has seen us look like total sub-par cloggers this season.

Now that may change with a super signing tomorrow. It may be that we just have no hope of signing the sort of players we need. But right now, we're in the current position and so people are thinking about this season. Not next season. It hasn't helped in the slightest that McDermott said he was looking to bring in 2/3 Premier League experienced players and instead has brought in a guy who was very promising a year ago but almost certainly isn't close to match fit and maybe failing to realise his potential. And a guy who is a typical might be ready in a season or two once we've worked on him, and to be honest I think that's an assessment about him being good enough to be a regular in the Championship, not the PL.

Some of us would just like to see a little more chance of fighting it out this season. And perhaps a few less defensive midfielders in the squad seeing as we've now got about six who are either mediocre, unfit or virtually untested.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Jan 2013 21:20

Looks like a good signing for next season

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jan 2013 21:22

I guess you can either adopt the Ian Royal attitude (worry about the next two games only and complain we haven't brought anyone in who can win us those) or people who think the lifespan of a football club perhaps lasts a little bit longer than the end of the month or indeed the season.

What's wrong with planning for next season anyway? We're probably going down. It's not like we're signing Hope instead of someone else.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 08 Jan 2013 21:25

Well according to BM hes just what we want

Reading have confirmed the signing of 21-year-old Hope Akpan from npower League One side Crawley.

The midfielder, who joined Crawley from Everton in 2011, has agreed a three-and-a-half year contract.

Reading manager Brian McDermott told the club website: "I'm delighted to have signed Hope, we have known all about him for a very long time."

McDermott added: "He has a great pedigree coming through the ranks at a top Premier League side in Everton.

"There were a lot of clubs in for him during this window, but once he heard of our interest this was the only place he wanted to play.

"He's 21 and is a player we feel can play at this level."

Akpan played for the second half of the Royals' friendly win over QPR on Tuesday.

Reading said the deal is subject to final ratification of all the paperwork from the football authorities, but they expect that to be a formality.

Source: PA

Updated 08/01/2013 18:47:24

The Royal

by The Royal » 08 Jan 2013 21:39

What happened to the " experienced premier league players"? I'm sure this guy is a good footballer, but good is not good enough

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 08 Jan 2013 21:41

The Royal What happened to the " experienced premier league players"? I'm sure this guy is a good footballer, but good is not good enough

I'm surprised no-one else has asked this today.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 08 Jan 2013 21:46

leicsRoyal
SapperBRoyal I'm sure we are all entitled to our opinions; admittedly some more valid than others. Might I respectfully suggest that we save the despair/anger until the window has run its course and we can see the full picture?

Or we could just wait until the season has run it's course.

In all seriousness if we are to have ambitions of retaining our premier league survival then surely we need to act before the nine points available in January have passed us by.

Point taken (or hopefully several more), January is critical. We don't yet know where or when Carrico, Akban and possibly Rogic fit in. As much as we are pre-programmed for suspecting the worst. It may just be that we are finally able to bring players in that we have tracked over a period, and the 2-3 PL experienced players, are possibly to follow. We don't have the brand, swag or influence to assert ourselves during the window like some clubs. It will be a tricky window for us, we will need to play it very cleverly and possibly react quickest when the flurry of activity begins with 48 hours to go. I anticipate a further twist or two.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2013 22:03

Maguire I guess you can either adopt the Ian Royal attitude (worry about the next two games only and complain we haven't brought anyone in who can win us those) or people who think the lifespan of a football club perhaps lasts a little bit longer than the end of the month or indeed the season.

What's wrong with planning for next season anyway? We're probably going down. It's not like we're signing Hope instead of someone else.

That's not my position. I just think it's unfair to label anyone who voices anything but exclusive positivity about a signing as attacking the way the club is run and doom mongering. Generally, I'm perfectly happy to play the long game and I think the club is probably doing the right thing because we'll go down anyway.

I'd say this window is actually probably one of the very few where I'd support us trying and playing a much shorter and immediate impact approach with our signing policy.

Looking at the players who've signed in isolation they look pretty decent bets for giving us a strong footing in the Championship next year. But in the context of teh squad as a whole and playing style, I don't think they really show a strong sign that McDermott's gotten any better at planning a coherant squad and approach, rather than just signing individual decent players that fit his naturally preferred qualities. And I think it's that weakness which is the cause of us struggling at the start of all three seasons he's managed us. And possibly the difference between him turning it around and not doing so is the season starting with less of the transfer window left than in the Championship and the lack of a loan window between August and January.

557 posts