83%
Southampton
17%

Total votes: 145
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: S8nts

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2013 17:00

S'not just about this season. We'll see how Saints (and we) are doing in two, three, five, ten years time to really see if spending like that was sustainable and successful.

I also don't believe for a second we'd have got Pog (maybe also Guthrie and Carrico) for a second under Madejski's ownership. Or Roberts last season for that matter. Which would mean we probably wouldn't have been promoted in the first place. So even if we go down and get stuck in mid-table I still see a bonus having come from TSI. And I believe that if we do go down (which is likely) we'll be fighting for promotion again if not straight away, then by at least the season after next.

I don't think we'll have to worry about getting relegated to League One.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Jan 2013 17:18

Ian Royal S'not just about this season. We'll see how Saints (and we) are doing in two, three, five, ten years time

Yeah! We'll see! One of these centuries a spending team is going to f/ck up, and if we are still alive we'll be there to rub their faces in it!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Jan 2013 17:20

yeah, cos its not happened to many clubs already or anything

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 17 Jan 2013 17:30

Extended-Phenotype
Ian Royal S'not just about this season. We'll see how Saints (and we) are doing in two, three, five, ten years time

Yeah! We'll see! One of these centuries a spending team is going to f/ck up, and if we are still alive we'll be there to rub their faces in it!

Leeds

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Jan 2013 17:35

There's also an assumption that we as fans actually want to stay up.

Personally I'd much rather be in the championship, seeing games were we have a chance of winning and paying less, rather than a lot of the non-entertaining dross we're currently served.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 17 Jan 2013 17:40

PieEater There's also an assumption that we as fans actually want to stay up.

Personally I'd much rather be in the championship, seeing games were we have a chance of winning and paying less, rather than a lot of the non-entertaining dross we're currently served.

Don't lie!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Jan 2013 17:42

I can't say I've really enjoyed any of the games this season except West Brom, and don't really look forward to the next.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 17 Jan 2013 18:13

Would i be rather be a Saint no frigging way, but i am jealous that we dont seem to have ambition like other clubs, same old reading do everything on the cheap guess its the reading way.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2013 19:34

Extended-Phenotype

Leeds, Newcastle, Leicester, West Ham, Bolton, Portsmouth. All these teams and more have spent unsustainably and still got relegated. Some come back, some manage to consolidate, some go down further, one may yet still go out of business before the end of the season and if not will almost certainly be playing in League Two.

Going out of business is the ultimate price, it doesn't mean it's the only price. Leeds, Saints, Forest, Leicester, Charlton, QPR, Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday, Swindon, Bradford, Barnsely, Coventry. All these teams have been relegated from the PL since it was introduced and then carried on down into League One. Not necessarily all because of finance problems, admittedly.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 17 Jan 2013 19:39

SPARTA Couldn't give a phuck about Southampton or any other football club. This is my club, and they will always be no matter what standard we play at.

Anyway, LOLz etc.

Anyone else spot the knob at the front with the arsenal phone case?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 17 Jan 2013 19:40

Good spot, God knows how we missed that..

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 17 Jan 2013 19:41

:lol:

Divvy

by Divvy » 17 Jan 2013 19:42

SPARTA Good spot, God knows how we missed that..

:lol:

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 17 Jan 2013 20:03

CountryRoyal
SPARTA Couldn't give a phuck about Southampton or any other football club. This is my club, and they will always be no matter what standard we play at.

+100000000000000

+infinity (couldn't find the sideways eight symbol)

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 17 Jan 2013 20:04

royalZILLAAA Always rather be a Reading fan. Football fanhood is a weird mix of masochism and elation, I wouldn't rather be a fan of Man Utd or FC Winnersh or anyone in between.

Winnersh Ultras

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 17 Jan 2013 20:08

Extended-Phenotype One of these centuries a spending team is going to f/ck up, and if we are still alive we'll be there to rub their faces in it!

Quite possibly the stupidest post in the history of Hob Nob. Quite an achievement.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 17 Jan 2013 21:18

peterroyal76

Anyway, LOLz etc.

Anyone else spot the knob at the front with the arsenal phone case?

And possibly a 'Reading FC' wristband?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 17 Jan 2013 22:16

Royal91

Don't lie!

I'd rather be in the championship than watch the club sink without trace with a points tally in the mid 20s, but I'd rather see us as a bottom half premiership side than a top half championship one.

I do fully understand the club's philosophy of only signing the "right" players for the club, and I actually agree with it (we don't have a chairman happy to pump millions in, and even TSI said from the outset that wouldn't be their policy either) but it would be nice if there was just some hint of recognition that when a club is in the premier league, it has to raise the bar a bit, and not sign players on the basis that they'd probably do a good job in the championship.

Off on a bit of a tangent, I did ask this question to a couple of mates at the Crawley game, but who would you say was the most expensive Reading player who was actually a success while here?

scumbag

by scumbag » 17 Jan 2013 22:43

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Royal91

Don't lie!

I'd rather be in the championship than watch the club sink without trace with a points tally in the mid 20s, but I'd rather see us as a bottom half premiership side than a top half championship one.

I do fully understand the club's philosophy of only signing the "right" players for the club, and I actually agree with it (we don't have a chairman happy to pump millions in, and even TSI said from the outset that wouldn't be their policy either) but it would be nice if there was just some hint of recognition that when a club is in the premier league, it has to raise the bar a bit, and not sign players on the basis that they'd probably do a good job in the championship.

Off on a bit of a tangent, I did ask this question to a couple of mates at the Crawley game, but who would you say was the most expensive Reading player who was actually a success while here?

Graeme Murty for £750k.

Quite a lot of money back then, but it certainly paid off.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 17 Jan 2013 23:33

Ideal
melonhead so 6 more points is what 30 million gets you is it?

Federici alone has cost us 6 points this season, no need to chuck 30 million at it, a £2M goalkeeper would do us nicely.

:!:

244 posts